DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Successfully thwarted the Coin Guard coup in GreedFall.  I've acquired all of the skills in the Technical tree (Bomb = Awesome), so now I suppose I should start learning just enough Magic to unlock the War Mage achievement for doing Magic damage to enemies via spells 500 times.  I'll probably just acquire the Shadow Burst spell (a defensive AoE) and the appropriate support skills to make Shadow Burst more effective. 

I'm already good with guns, one handed lightweight swords, and traps and I can also add alchemical mixtures to my sword and throw alchemical mixtures as grenade like weapons.  Adding magic to the mix could potentially overwhelm me with too many offensive options and I like to keep things as simple as possible.

You don't need to invest in multiple playthroughs in order to unlock the achievements for learning all of the skills of a particular ability tree.  Just wait until you unlock all of the abilities in one tree, take a save, and then use the Memory Crystal to respec yourself.  The Crystal has five charges so you don't even have to reload in order to respec yourself two times to unlock all of the abilities of the other trees (the three trees are Technical, Magic, Warrior).  After you are done, reload your save so that you go back to the character specs you had before you used the Memory Crystal.

Respawn will be delisting Titanfall starting today. Well today for online storefronts - it will still be up on EA Play until March 1, 2022 (so theoretically on Game Pass too for those that have the access to EA Play via it)

It is a little confusing since one of the reasons mentioned was the constant hacking the game has faced yet they are keeping the servers online.

Either way - supposedly nothing is changing for Titanfall 2 or Apex Legends.

As someone who now owns a PS5 and a Series X, I think I would be content if I only had a Series X. The biggest downside is that I built up a pretty decent library on the PS4, but Game Pass is great, I have always thought the Xbox controller was better than Sony's, the resume feature is pretty neat, and I think games look better on the Series X weirdly enough. 

However, the Xbox UI is dogshit. It's really fucking bad. It just looks like a bunch of jumbled crap with no rhyme or reason for why something is where it is. The Playstation UI is much, much, much better. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As someone who now owns a PS5 and a Series X, I think I would be content if I only had a Series X. The biggest downside is that I built up a pretty decent library on the PS4, but Game Pass is great, I have always thought the Xbox controller was better than Sony's, the resume feature is pretty neat, and I think games look better on the Series X weirdly enough. 

However, the Xbox UI is dogshit. It's really fucking bad. It just looks like a bunch of jumbled crap with no rhyme or reason for why something is where it is. The Playstation UI is much, much, much better. 

Quick Resume is kind of a game changer (pun 100% intended). My PS5 is an Playstation exclusive machine,  because only one of those comes out at a time. I regularly switch between 3 or 4 xbox games at time,  and unless the game has some sort of update I can jump in right where I left off. It's great. 

• Like 1

I love my PS5 and the exclusives but the XBox with Game Pass probably equals out with it. Being able to seamlessly play my PS4 games and use my External HD were the selling points for me. That and I've always preferred the Sony controllers. 

Completed Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and had a ton of fun, I just wish there was more combat. I will likely play it again on New Game+ to see the different story choices and track down all the lore and special items I missed. I'd be tempted to make it my game of the year but that distinction has to go to Hades. 

Stardew Valley is coming to Gamepass tomorrow, so I can finally check that out. I could never justify paying the $15-20 for it because those have never been my type of games. still interested in seeing how it runs for me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would have agreed with the controller thing if this was between Xbox Series vs PS4, but PS5 came with a design change for the controller that makes it feel a lot better in my hands. Plus, I mean, haptics and the triggers? I go out of my way to not buy/play some games on Xbox because I want to play it on PS5 because of the controller (if it implements those features, anyway).

One plus for Xbox are the rewards points, though. I cashed in some for a $10 gift card and got the Halo battle pass. $10 gift card for basically playing games and doing polls and trivia questions.

But, if you're all digital like me - a plus for Playstation are their sales, whereas Xbox always has really trash sales where it's mostly older games or just bottom of the barrel indie stuff. Xbox does have the internet browser, and the ability to buy movies/TV shows from their marketplace.

It's honestly a toss-up for me. There was a good three week stretch where I didn't even turn on my PS5 because I was using the Xbox so much.

Finally got past the third EMMI, got the morph ball, and did the mad dash to the Varia Suit. That was fun, and this finally feels like Metroid. Fucking hate the EMMIs and the whole idea of them still, and I don't think whatever story nonsense explains losing abilities for the billionth time will make a lick of sense (let alone why the EMMIs ended up with them). But at least I'm not going to return it, yet. 

Stumbled into the Kraid fight too, but I think I'm going to farm items in the first 2 zones first.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

FWIW, I quite like Xbox's UI and am mostly annoyed by the PS5 layout.  I find a lot the PS5 interface to be more confusing than it needs to be and there are some basic things I wish they would patch it.  For starters, why is it so hard to figure out if I installed a PS4 or PS5 version of a game.  I feel like I should be able to browse the icons at the top of my home page or look at the library and see a PS4 or PS5 logo somewhere (you can sort the library by console).  I'm got a long list of mild complaints.

Anyway, Xbox good, PS4 bad in my household.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

It's honestly a toss-up for me. There was a good three week stretch where I didn't even turn on my PS5 because I was using the Xbox so much.

Yeah, toss-up for me too.  Both systems are off to good starts.  I feel like there aren't going to be any losers in this console generation.  

Well, except for Stadia, or course.  And maybe Nintendo.  I don't want to imagine what sort of voodoo a developer will need to do to port his game to the Switch in a year or two.  I feel like we're not going to get very far into this generation before the Switch is really shown up.  Nintendo probably needs a Switch 2 sooner instead of later.  Except, since it's Nintendo, it will be nearly a decade behind Xbox and Sony's consoles.  Remember, they somehow convinced themselves the Wii U was going to compete with the PS4 & Xbox One when, really, the Wii U was mostly inferior to the PS3 and X360.

I won't be surprised if Nintendo's next console still has less than 100 mb storage.  They'll probably discover solid state drives sometime around 2030.  I feel like the next hardware set from them almost has to be a handheld or a hybrid.  Not sure they can compete with Xbox and Sony head-to-head.

I'm already over the trigger feedback in the dualsense. It's a neat gimmick, but it honestly causes me to experience some kind of fatigue while using them and I just want triggers to function like triggers. 

On 11/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, Mario said:

Yeah, setting up the PS5 was a breeze.  I went home at lunch to unbox the console and set it up and, in the space of an hour, I had it set up and basically ready to go.

there's something slightly unsettling thinking about Mario setting up a Playstation. First he has Olympic battles with his rival Sonic, and now he's setting up a PS5. What's next, Halo: Metroid edition?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

FWIW, I quite like Xbox's UI and am mostly annoyed by the PS5 layout.  I find a lot the PS5 interface to be more confusing than it needs to be and there are some basic things I wish they would patch it.  For starters, why is it so hard to figure out if I installed a PS4 or PS5 version of a game.  I feel like I should be able to browse the icons at the top of my home page or look at the library and see a PS4 or PS5 logo somewhere (you can sort the library by console).  I'm got a long list of mild complaints.

I'm not in love with the Xbox UI, but at least I can kind of put everything i need in groups so I can get to it quickly. The PS5 has the stupid thing where all your game stuff is on one screen and then having to go to a completely other set of screens to watch YouTube or Netflix is clunky and I hate it. 

I have owned a PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4.  I've never owned an Xbox and never even really given one serious consideration.  I've always preferred the Playstation exclusives (Uncharted, Killzone, and the first two Infamous games, FTW) but I'm leaning toward a Series X for this generation.  Gamepass looks great, there aren't any PS5 exclusives I care about, and I like the option of emulation on the Series X.  That said, I'm not really willing to do the "follow the the right guy on Twitter" or "install a bot app" or any of the other shenanigans to buy an X or PS5 so it'll probably be 2027 before I own one.

Started playing Townscaper via Xbox Cloud today just because it was newly added to GamePass. Proceeded to 100% it in 25 minutes or so. It’s a fun building “toy,” but not much of a game. No structure or objectives per se…just free building for the sake of creativity. I’ll probably mess around with it a bit more, but I was surprised I got through it so quickly. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I have owned a PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4.  I've never owned an Xbox and never even really given one serious consideration.  I've always preferred the Playstation exclusives (Uncharted, Killzone, and the first two Infamous games, FTW) but I'm leaning toward a Series X for this generation.  Gamepass looks great, there aren't any PS5 exclusives I care about, and I like the option of emulation on the Series X.  That said, I'm not really willing to do the "follow the the right guy on Twitter" or "install a bot app" or any of the other shenanigans to buy an X or PS5 so it'll probably be 2027 before I own one.

Discord is a pretty big help.  I've moved to PC but I was able to get a good GPU through notifications on discord.  It's still pretty hard but it at least gives you a chance.  The one I use is NerdSpeak.  There are separate groups for each GPU and console that are currently hot commodities as well as general tech deals and you can have it send you notifications whenever there's a new message posted (all the messages are just in stock sale links).  

If I were still on console I'd probably be leaning towards the Series X as well simply because of gamepass even though I'm one of the weirdos that prefers playstation controllers.  

3 hours ago, glfpunk said:

Discord is a pretty big help.  I've moved to PC but I was able to get a good GPU through notifications on discord.  It's still pretty hard but it at least gives you a chance.  The one I use is NerdSpeak.  There are separate groups for each GPU and console that are currently hot commodities as well as general tech deals and you can have it send you notifications whenever there's a new message posted (all the messages are just in stock sale links).  

If I were still on console I'd probably be leaning towards the Series X as well simply because of gamepass even though I'm one of the weirdos that prefers playstation controllers.  

Yeah, I know you can do stuff like Discord or whatever but I'm not willing to do that.  I refuse to play that game.

Still on my Binding of Isaac kick. Just unlocked my first Tainted character after finally internalizing the various steps in the unlock process and I feel great about it. Repentance has been kicking my ass, but I’m finally starting to build muscle memory for new enemies/bosses and getting used to the much faster enemy shot speed. 

I also got a win through The Chest with Jacob and Esau. I’m sure I’ll get used to them, but it feels like some big brain shit to accomplish ANYTHING with them. 

• Like 1

Finished Astro's Playroom.  Pure fun until the final boss.  Took me way too many tries to get through the T-Rex's, particularly the second (mecha?) one.   The difficulty spike in the five minutes doesn't feel like it belongs in this game.  

Was rather amused to look at the dashboard and realize my completion percentage was only 27%.  12 of 46 trophies.  I hunted coins and artifacts more than I usually do (it's a collectathon, after all), but obviously I missed a lot.  Shrug. 

The Network Speed Run challenges look maddening.  Fortunately, I just messed about for a few minutes on each course.  Pretty sure trying to do them for time would have had me rage quitting.  That would be a first for me.

Anyway, definitely recommended.  Would have at least been close to my top in 2020 if I'd played it last year. 

I wrote some big reviews and then deleted them like a dope so you get tiny ones.

SOLAR ASH [3]
Love playing it, writing is bad enough to make me struggle to recommend it, hope you like hams saying hammy sci-fi shit

MONCAGE [4]
Clever, somewhere between Gorogoa and The Room (in puzzle construction only, not a horror game)

PANZER DRAGOON ON SWITCH [2]
My fault, didn't notice a Performance Mode until after I beat it

ARREST OF A STONE BUDDHA [3]
Genuinely not sure how you're supposed to play this on normal difficulty. Good moody sad gritty action-adventure game

DARK SOULS 2 SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN [4]
I'm sick

also just a reminder in the run up to the game awards and people thinking about their game of the year; you all need to play Cruelty Squad. I would buy copies if I weren't so broke, that's how serious I am.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Managed to get about 6 hours in Endwalker yesterday, it is awesome and beautiful and if you loved Final Fantasy IV there are references EVERYWHERE.

Yes, there have been some login issues, but I didn't have any problems until yesterday evening, which *shrug* duh? Of course the North American servers would be slammed on a Friday night. European servers were fine. Squeenix has been completely open and honest about how this was going to suck for a bit because they couldn't get the new/additional servers in like they wanted, and have been in almost constant communication, so they get a big thumb's up from me.