DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

For anyone that cares and still has a Vita, Sony Japan announced that Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines would see their servers shut down on December 24, 2021.

Since it's Christmas eve, it's likely it'll be Monday before they are shutdown unless Sony Japan's office doesn't celebrate Christmas or  have a Christmas holiday.

17 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Going to start Raji today. Anyone else played it?

Yes.  I liked it well enough to buy it for every console, lol.  I bought it day one for the Switch after seeing it previewed on a Nintendo showcase, then bought it again when it was ported to PS4, and a third time when I got my Series X.

Raji: An Ancient Epic - Enhanced Edition was announced back in the summer.  Some graphics upgrades, full voice acting, some gameplay changes, etc.  I think I read somewhere it was going to include new bosses & story content.  Haven't heard anything about it lately, but in July, the developer was saying it would be released before the end of the year.  It's a free update so you won't have to rebuy the game.

On 11/26/2021 at 7:30 PM, supremebve said:

I really like JRPGs, honestly I do, but I think Tales of Arise is the last one I'll be playing for a while.  I'm melodrama'd out.  During the Pandemic, I've played the entire Trails of Cold Steel saga, Persona 5 Royal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and probably some I'm forgetting, and I just can't do the take 3 steps, melodramatic cut scene, rinse, then repeat for the last few hours of these games any more.  I just want this game to end.  I don't want this to sound like I don't like these games, I really enjoyed all of them for the most part, but there is no reason any of them are anywhere close to as long as they are.  Things that would make all of these games better.  Update the gameplay loop as the game progresses.  If the first fight in the game and the last fight in the game can be won the exact same way, it will eventually grow tiresome.  No more end game boss fight gauntlets.  If I have to fight 48 boss level enemies in a row, by the time I get to the final boss, I'm not going to be impressed.  Not only will I not be impressed, I'm not going to give a fuck.  It's like booking Wrestlemania and making every match an Ironman Match.  This is a fairly new phenomenon, but it's come up in multiple games lately...stop making me pick up items than only benefit me if I play this long ass game all over again.  I'm fine with making your game as replayable as it can possibly be, but playing a game that takes more than a full time work week shouldn't be inflated with tasks that aren't going to provide anything to the people playing through the game.  Here's a great idea for New Game+ content, save it for New Game+.  If they don't change anything else about the end game of JRPGs they need to change this...there is nothing fun about damage sponge bosses.  If the only thing that separates the final boss from any other enemy in the game is that the final boss takes an hour and a half to beat because none of your attacks cause any real damage, you have a shitty final boss.   

P.S. In case any game developers are reading this, if you think your game needs a fishing mini game, it doesn't.  

I haven't played that many JRPGs in the last decade, but at some point, it feels like everything went from having character development/worldbuilding based sidequests, things that were not necessary to the main plot but made the narrative experience richer if you wanted to go off the beaten track, to hunt-based MMO style sidequests. 

So my new PS5 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I'm already in the process of moving my games to a new (larger) external HDD.   Since I already formatted the new drive, I should just be able to plug that into the PS5 console and go, right?

Would it be easier to just re-download some games?  I've got some games on the PS4 that have been patched/remastered for PS5.  God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us Pt. II, etc.  I assume those will just update?  How about the games that actually upgrade to PS5 versions (for free)?  Is there any reason to move Final Fantasy VII Remake to the external HDD or am I just going to end up downloading the entire Intergrade anyway?  Same question for Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima?  Should I move them to the new external HDD or am I just going to have to delete the old version and download the PS5 file after I pay the upgrade fee.

Along those lines, will games released for both PS4/PS5 upgrade via an update or will I end up deleting the PS4 file and downloading the PS5 version of the game?  I'm thinking of Miles Morales, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, The Pathless, etc.?

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I haven't played that many JRPGs in the last decade, but at some point, it feels like everything went from having character development/worldbuilding based sidequests, things that were not necessary to the main plot but made the narrative experience richer if you wanted to go off the beaten track, to hunt-based MMO style sidequests. 

This is Tales off Arise in a nutshell. It's a great game that could be so much better if it wasn't filled with so much useless nonsense that adds nothing but time to the game. The endgame is also excessive in a way that isn't fun by the end. One of the bigger criticisms i hard about the game when it dropped was that it felt like you needed DLC to have enough items to get through the game. I didn't feel that until the very end where every fight is boss level and there are about 20 of those fights too many and you run out of the ability to heal. 

Trails of Cold Steel is kind of all character development/ world building,  which is why I love those games. The biggest issues I have with this games is that it limits how many of the character missions you can do unless you do new game+...like I have another 100+ hours to dedicate to the game.  Persona 5 Royal is 50% character development/world building and 50% bloat. If you take out all of the minigames the main character does by himself and keep all the character side quests you cut a significant amount of the play time but a better,  more fun game. 

I finally joined the Hades wagon yesterday. The first two or three times against Meg I thought "no way I will ever make it past her" (without significant upgrades), though I beat her in my approx. 10th run (but got killed in the next world by constantly stepping into lava). The very next run, I got the "2 HP per hit" boon at the very start and made it past the Elysium (and finally got killed where you can choose between five door - I passed the first one but got killed on the second one).

• Like 1

@Marioanything that is still a PlayStation 4 game, even stuff that is patched to work better on a 5, you can just keep on the HDD and you are correct, you should be able to just plug that bad boy right into the new system. The only thing you really want on the default PS5 hard drive are PS5 games which will take advantage of the solid state technology. Enjoy it, it's a great system!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I finally joined the Hades wagon yesterday. The first two or three times against Meg I thought "no way I will ever make it past her" (without significant upgrades), though I beat her in my approx. 10th run (but got killed in the next world by constantly stepping into lava). The very next run, I got the "2 HP per hit" boon at the very start and made it past the Elysium (and finally got killed where you can choose between five door - I passed the first one but got killed on the second one).

It is so a game you can easily see your progression with each run so it is easy to want to do another run (not to mention the constant story updates each time your return)

I finally got through the main story last week and now am working on finishing the epilogue.

So many Gods I have to give gifts too..

I am at the mercy at the RNG story gremlins as I have a backup of like 4 prophecies I haven't finished yet because Nyx hasn't given me the next step in the quest.

3 hours ago, Mario said:

Would it be easier to just re-download some games?  

Yes.  Most efficient way to move digital games to the PS5 is copy all PS4 games over to the external drive and download all PS5 games.  There's not really any reason move games like Miles Morales or The Pathless to the new usb drive.  You'll just end up deleting them later.  PSN store and the PS5's OS both treat PS5 versions of games as being separate and distinct  from the PS4 versions of the same title.  So, to upgrade Miles Morales, you can't just get the PS4 version patched.   You have to download the entire PS5 file from scratch.  if you want to, you can actually download both the PS4 & PS5 versions of the same title to your console.  They'll be treated as separate games.  I suppose there's some utility to that, but it's annoying.  Things are labeled better now, but last winter, people were re-downloading PS4 versions of games by mistake.  

Enjoy the console.  

• Like 1

The thing that stuck with me about Hades (beyond the fact that it is a game that saw 500 other roguelikes and successfully took almost literally everything in them that works), is how even when I put the game down I was still routinely hitting new dialogue with certain characters. Like, I actually had a sense that the dialogue rabbit hole was endless, which is obviously a trick, but I've never seen a game pull said trick off better.

It really is a game I think should be used as a measuring stick for a long, long time.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Unless someone plays exclusively in handheld mode, this doesn't seem to even be designed for people that already have a Switch, more to get new buyers that didn't think the screen was big enough (unknown how many people that is). That doesn't mean people won't "upgrade", many will, but its far from a required one or a "you can't play new games without this version" type deal like many were expecting from past leaks. Definitely not designed for me since I play handheld maybe 5% of the time I am on the console.

Unfortunately I have zero self control so I purchased a OLED Switch yesterday. I justified it in my brain as the last few months I've been playing a lot of handheld at work, but I think deep down I just got excited. I see Nintendo has a tedious method to transfer data from one switch to another, can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1

I'm past the first boss and a little more in Metroid Dread and...I'm not impressed.  Visually, tonally, hey, it's on the money, but I can do without games where I have to cram on 8 buttons at the same time to do anything effective.  The whole control scheme is...just bad.  Weapon-switching should have been put to the D-pad, the free aim should just be on all the time, possibly add back diagonal aiming with the L & R after those are freed up.  Looks like BOTW is still the only Switch game that's legitimately been worth the money to me; hopefully if it isn't any better in the last however much, I can at least flip it on eBay.

14 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I'm past the first boss and a little more in Metroid Dread and...I'm not impressed.  Visually, tonally, hey, it's on the money, but I can do without games where I have to cram on 8 buttons at the same time to do anything effective.  The whole control scheme is...just bad.  Weapon-switching should have been put to the D-pad, the free aim should just be on all the time, possibly add back diagonal aiming with the L & R after those are freed up.  Looks like BOTW is still the only Switch game that's legitimately been worth the money to me; hopefully if it isn't any better in the last however much, I can at least flip it on eBay.

I like Metroid Dread a lot,  but I understand all of these criticisms. It feels like you have to have a third thumb sometimes,  but that's kind of what I expect from this type of game. The whole genre is kind of a exercise in testing your skills to reflexively adapt to the increasingly complex controls. It does seem like the aiming mechanics are needlessly clunky and you'll die multiple times because you don't have the ability to navigate the clunky controls and avoid damage at the same time. 

Yeah, setting up the PS5 was a breeze.  I went home at lunch to unbox the console and set it up and, in the space of an hour, I had it set up and basically ready to go.  Need to poke around the menus a bit more and patch the PS4 games on the external storage drive, but, otherwise, I'm basically ready play.  Guess it's time to start researching SSD's.

What do people think of the Series X and PS5 one year out?  Just curious.  I've had a Series X since Spring and really like it.  Not a lot of exclusives yet, but the backwards compatibility gives you a huge library to play with straight out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback about the external drive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mario said:

Yeah, setting up the PS5 was a breeze.  I went home at lunch to unbox the console and set it up and, in the space of an hour, I had it set up and basically ready to go.  Need to poke around the menus a bit more and patch the PS4 games on the external storage drive, but, otherwise, I'm basically ready play.  Guess it's time to start researching SSD's.

What do people think of the Series X and PS5 one year out?  Just curious.  I've had a Series X since Spring and really like it.  Not a lot of exclusives yet, but the backwards compatibility gives you a huge library to play with straight out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback about the external drive.

Gamepass is the best thing on either system, so that gives the Series X the edge for me so far.  PS5 has the best game library so far, and PSNow has a lot of good stuff on it,  so it's a pretty close race. 

Well I ended starting Avengers... Lego Avengers that is.

I needed something brainless and easy and I realized I had the Lego Marvel collection still installed on my XBOX so Avengers was the next in line for the Lego games I hadn't played yet.

This and Hades run will sustain me until the 30th anniversary Destiny event starts next week

19 hours ago, Mario said:

What do people think of the Series X and PS5 one year out?  

Both had great libraries at launch thanks to backwards compatibility and both hit the ground running.  Both had pretty good years even with Covid delays and I'll be shocked if both aren't outstanding products in four or five years.  I'm a bit partial to Series X so far, but it's mostly because of little things.

PS5 has the better library so far, imo.  Better full exclusives (Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Deathloop) + a fair number of PS4/PS5 console exclusives + a number of AA/AAA remasters, some with new content (FF VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Nioh 1 & 2, etc.).  PlayStation also had a much better library of exclusives during Xbox One/PS4 era, so that brings a lot to the table. Quite a few of the PS4's first-party library has already been patched up for PS5 or simply runs at a higher frame rate and resolution on PS5 as is.

On the other hand, Xbox library has 600+ X360 titles and 60 Xbox games  in it.  Microsoft even went back and added frame rate boosts to several dozen Xbox and X360 titles last month.  You can now play Dead Space 2 & 3 and the entire Gears of War series at 60 fps.  PS5 backward compatibility feature is excellent, but Xbox's is probably a bit better.  

Likely going to be a great generation no matter what you own.  

• Like 1