DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now if we define GOTY as best game we played for the first time this year , then mine is Hades and it’s not even close

I'll second this. Hades is the best game I've played in years. I played Mass Effect 2, one of my shortlist best games of all time, this year and enjoyed Hades more. It's the game I spent the most time playing, and made me want to seek out more games in a genre I had no interest in at all beforehand. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Interesting that PlayStation boss Jim Ryan publicly called out Activision today (not that it will amount to anything)

Unsurprisingly - today XBOX's Phil Spencer was the one to be all "WTF Activision?"

Spencer's internal statement at least claimed that XBOX was "evaluating all aspects of our relationship" with Activision

I tried the Xbox Cloud gaming stuff a few months back and had mostly negative feelings at the time. Too much input lag and connection drops. Not sure if it was just a bad internet day here or if they’ve tightened it up considerably, but I started playing around with it again today and it’s working *great*.

Started messing around with Avengers (the install size was the main thing holding me back) and have had zero issues after 90 minutes or so of play. 

If it continues to run this smoothly, this is a game changer for me. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Unsurprisingly - today XBOX's Phil Spencer was the one to be all "WTF Activision?"

Spencer's internal statement at least claimed that XBOX was "evaluating all aspects of our relationship" with Activision

So is there anything Sony or Microsoft could actually do here that wouldn't also be harmful to themselves?

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

So is there anything Sony or Microsoft could actually do here that wouldn't also be harmful to themselves?

No, because they sure as shit aren't giving up CoD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

No, because they sure as shit aren't giving up CoD.

Sony did boot CoD: Vanguard from the featured games section of the PSN store, so it's a lot less prominent, at least.

As for GotY:

Microsoft Flight Simulator is the best game I played for the first time in 2021.  It's a technical marvel and a very relaxing, chill experience.  I could probably play it for a bit every day without getting bored.  

Deathloop is probably my favorite game that released for the first time anywhere in 2021.  Second would be Forza Horizon 5.

If we're counting previously released games that got remastered for current-gen consoles in 2021 with new material added, my top four for the year are MFS, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, FF VIII Remake: intergrade, and Deathloop.

I'm tempted to say Elden Ring was the most impressive game I've played this year.  Bought my way into the network test and was really excited by what I saw.  Initial impression is that it combines the best parts of previous From games and the sheer scope of it looks impressive.  I've been a big fan of most everything From has done since Demon's Souls, though, so I didn't need much convincing.  

Still have high hopes for a couple December indies.  

Edited by Mario

On 11/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, Death From Above said:

Legitimately not sure there was a good game nominated for Game of the Year. What a fall off from 2020.

The list does not have Hades, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Forza 5 so it has no credibility.

I've played the demos for both Hades and Forza and they are great.  I would've gone down the Hades rabbit hole the same time as Rippa did, but I had to get GreedFall off of my List of Shame.  I'll probably tackle GoTG next.

Edited by J.T.

Holy shit, the fetchits in GreedFall.  Since we're in a colonial setting and we are a NATION OF LAWS~! there are a couple of quest that actually involve going down to the archives in the palace and fetching legal documents to get them examined by the governor's advisors and the former governor of the island before proceeding on with the violence.

I kinda miss Cyberpunk 2077 street justice.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

I really wanna know how many clears it is to complete the "main storyline" in Hades but I also am terrified to try and look up the answer (for spoilers. not because the number could be like 100)

I am at, I think, a half dozen clears.

Satisfactory is on sale on Steam so I finally bought that after having my eye on it since the preview... I think at one of the E3 PC shows a few years back?

There's zero in game time pressures so far, you get to build stuff, and see Numbers Increasing. Very chill soundtrack. Pretty game, too. I don't think I'm really through the tutorials yet since I haven't even built my first conveyor belt, but it's doing a good job of teaching you one thing at a time instead of hitting you with 6000 things at once.

I'm gonna lose a lot of time to this game, I think. It's exactly the kind of freeform zero time pressure bullshit I want to relax with between punishing myself with Souls-likes.

• Like 1

A public safety announcement from your homie playing GreedFall.

Spoiler

Be careful how you progress in the quest lines.  I would advise getting the main quests relating to curing the magical curse / disease and any available side quests you find out in the world or that you receive from your companions before proceeding too far with the An Ancient Secret quest.

Once you finish the Ancient Secret questline, there will be a coup on the island leadership from the military and NPCs that are required placeholders or quest givers will be shuffled around or removed from the game and you will auto-fail some side quests.

It also pays to revisit some areas and take a better look around.  I noticed a locked chest by a large river in one of the open world wooded zones..   I thought I would find the key in a side quest, but that never happened.   When I went back to take a closer look, I found some poor dead guy with the key and unlocked the chest to find some badass unique Solomon Kane looking gear.  I was kinda bummed that I had to level up and invest two Attribute points in Endurance in order to equip the armor, but my survivability has received a good bump.

I am also a little bummed that I had to swap out the new armor for the advanced Naut armor I was wearing.  Not only did it provide decent protection, it also served as a disguise if I needed to infiltrate any Naut guild locations (you'll know what I'm talking about when you play the game).  I was short on cash so I sold the Naut gear, and I will just have to buy a new disguise and keep it in my junk chest if I manage to scratch up more gold.

Wound up watching a stream of Rider's Republic and thought it looked really cool. I went to buy it on Amazon as a Christmas gift for my daughter and it was $60.

Checked again yesterday and it was only $30. That's a hell of a price drop for a good game that just got released. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wound up watching a stream of Rider's Republic and thought it looked really cool. I went to buy it on Amazon as a Christmas gift for my daughter and it was $60.

Checked again yesterday and it was only $30. That's a hell of a price drop for a good game that just got released. 

Lots of sellers have this in their Black Friday sales.

Believe it was $25 at Gamestop.

If anyone was waiting for Guardians of the Galaxy to go on sale it is under $40 on the PlayStation network. I'm about 4 or 5 hours in and it is a blast so far. Great music, hilarious dialogue and fun combat. 

Also finally picked up No Man's Sky on sale but it will probably be a while before I jump into that one.

Finally purchased a PS5 today.  Lol, I thought it'd take me a while but I scored on the second try.  It helps that I've been following one of the guys that sends out tweets whenever Best Buy, Walmart, etc. restock.  Walmart had a sizable restock today that was only open to Walmart+ members for the first four hours.

(In case anyone is looking, follow Matt Swider on social media.  He used to be editor-in-chief at techradar.  I started following him late last year and have gotten ahold of a Series X, Series S (present), OLED Switch, and now a PS5 thanks to his tips.)

Walmart scheduled delivery by December 15, so hopefully they don't cancel the order or delay it indefinitely.  

Going to be tough holding off on Solar Ash day one.

• Like 3