DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, JLSigman said:

Decided on a lark to grab the new release of Final Fantasy V for Steam (it was less than $15, includes some of the music and wallpaper). Looks clean, I'll put actual time into it once I finish up this FF12 game (I will get Zodiark if it kills me).

I forgot how time just vanishes when you play these older RPGs. "Oh, I'll just noodle around for an hour" turned into "Oh hell the Fire Ship I am so lost LOL" 3 1/2 hours later.

According to Sony boss Jim Ryan - these are the Top 10 most played games on the PS5 over its first year (HUGE caveat in that the list was done: it is based on cumulative hours played across the playerbase, not on total number of players. Also the time period is 11/12/20 - 9/30/21 so it technically isnt a year)

• Fortnite
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • FIFA 21
  • NBA 2K21
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Destiny 2
  • MLB The Show 21
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Demon’s Souls
  • NBA 2K22

As noted by a few people - Back 4 Blood (which missed the cutoff date) is definitely in the Top 10 now

Forza Horizon 5 is so much fun. I turn off the radio, turn on a Spotify playlist or podcast and just zone out. I somehow find myself 2 roads short of having driven them all (though the achievement did pop) and now I’m just breaking the bonus boards. 

I get why people dislike the busywork of collectibles, but that has and will always be one of the best stress relievers in my life. Only JRPG grinding can top it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

I forgot how time just vanishes when you play these older RPGs. "Oh, I'll just noodle around for an hour" turned into "Oh hell the Fire Ship I am so lost LOL" 3 1/2 hours later.

My story like that is related to Ultima IV on the Apple II and got published in Retro Gamer's Issue #100.  Went something like this: I sat down one night around 8pm to play some Ultima IV.  An hour later, I shivered, realizing I was cold.  I looked around and realized everybody else had gone to bed.  And the house was cold because Mom had turned down the thermostat when she went to bed.  Why were they all in bed?  It was 4am.  I'd been playing for 8 straight hours while three other people loudly went to bed, turned off lights, turned down the heat, and so on - and didn't know it.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Tabe said:

My story like that is related to Ultima IV on the Apple II and got published in Retro Gamer's Issue #100.  Went something like this: I sat down one night around 8pm to play some Ultima IV.  An hour later, I shivered, realizing I was cold.  I looked around and realized everybody else had gone to bed.  And the house was cold because Mom had turned down the thermostat when she went to bed.  Why were they all in bed?  It was 4am.  I'd been playing for 8 straight hours while three other people loudly went to bed, turned off lights, turned down the heat, and so on - and didn't know it.

Loved Ultima IV and V. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shane said:

Forza Horizon 5 is so much fun. I turn off the radio, turn on a Spotify playlist or podcast and just zone out. I somehow find myself 2 roads short of having driven them all (though the achievement did pop) and now I’m just breaking the bonus boards. 

I get why people dislike the busywork of collectibles, but that has and will always be one of the best stress relievers in my life. Only JRPG grinding can top it. 

I prefer regular Forza than Horizon, but so far Horizon 5 has been a great time waster.  I still wish it didn't force me to drive sports cars through swamps and jungles.  I'm sorry, but I hold it against any game that gives me a Lamborghini and a Ford Bronco, and expects me to want to drive the Bronco. 

• Like 1

My “driving around” vehicle right now is a WW2-era jeep that’s been souped up to have a top speed of 220mph or so. Still handles well off-road. It’s the best of both worlds!

I’m not a car guy, so the Forza Motorsports games are lost on me. I just want to pinball around and cause chaos. Burnout is the perfect franchise for me, but the Horizon games are a real close second. I understand why you can’t, but if it was possible to actually crash the cars in Horizon, it’d probably top my driving game list. 

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Burnout is the perfect franchise for me, but the Horizon games are a real close second. I understand why you can’t, but if it was possible to actually crash the cars in Horizon, it’d probably top my driving game list. 

Burnout Takedown is my all time favorite driving game series.  I'm still not over the fact that they moved on from the Takedown type games and moved to a more pure racing style game with Paradise.  Horizon is fun, but it's not what I want from a Forza game.  Either give me a pure racing game like Forza where it's all about precision and tuning, or give me a pure arcade racer where I'm racing around, getting into wrecks, and having a grand ol' time.  Horizon is kind of on the fence, and it never quite scratches either itch for me.

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

I was like that with the Bard's Tale games (on my Laser 128 apple II clone).  I hated exiting dungeons without clearing out the whole thing.

Oh my gods the hours and hours I put into Bard's Tale. I had graph paper. It was AMAZING.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

I was like that with the Bard's Tale games (on my Laser 128 apple II clone).  I hated exiting dungeons without clearing out the whole thing.

Apple IIGS versions of those games for me.  And, recently, the remakes on Steam.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

III is probably my favorite old school RPG.  I've been on the fence with getting one of the Commodore 64 minis with the working keyboard just so I can play it again.

Just get the Steam trilogy. 

Not a massive STG person but some click with me and I tend to like Cave's stuff. Playing DoDonPachi Resurrection like a normal person (ie dying plenty) but making a few cool clutch moves. After the game I'm given the option of saving a replay of the run. I'm not a sharey type so no one would see it, but I say yes anyway because I felt I had a few badass moments in there. Then I actually sit and play it back (well, fast forwarding most until the end), watch the bits I was thinking of and think 'yeah, that was badass'.

Entirely pathetic but lovely that a videogame can make me feel that way at the age of 37.

My new gaming emotion at age 36 was playing Outrun 2 in an arcade while a queue of people was building behind me. I'm an introvert so for me was some heart-pumping pressure to be the person who actually reached the end (I did, but the horror when a couple of cool drifts went wrong sticks with me.)

Old bones, new feels.

Edited by Salads

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You would think that Activision/Blizzard couldn't meltdown anymore and then the Wall Street Journal comes along

What's sad is that nothing will happen to Kotick. People will still buy Activision (and Call of Duty) games. Bobby Kotick approves every PR piece that gets put out (even the one sent by their VP of corporate compliance when the whole thing broke).

It really paints every PR response from Activision / Activision PR / Activision board of directors as suspect.

What I see happening is Activision spinning off Call of Duty as a wholly separate company, dissolving Activision Blizzard and Activision, and spinning off Blizzard. The can will get kicked down a different road.