DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Passed 100,000 Gamerscore today. Granted, it's taken over a decade and, as the person responsible for building the game collection for 8 public libraries, I basically had access to any game I wanted to play. Still, it was nice to have the number roll over. Seemed close for the last year, but I've not been playing as much new stuff, so it took a bit longer than I thought.

Unpacking was the game that put me over. Played it basically in one sitting today and ended up getting 1000/1000 mostly by accident. Every achievement is secret, but there was only 1 that I missed without consulting a guide...

• Like 2

So question that might not be answerable

I am looking for suggestions for something I could play (and realistically) beat in a month. With Destiny going on hiatus for the entire month of November I am looking for a new game. With that being said... things I am considering (factoring in I am not looking on buying anything new so this is what is already available)

• Control
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Spiritfarer
  • Slime Rancher (this would be a restart as I did play it a little before)
  • Subnautica
  • What Remains of Edith Finch

There are plenty of other things I want to play but I know they are either really long or way too similar to what I have been playing. How long are Yakuza games? I didn't mention them because I felt like one of them would take awhile (plus I am always unsure which game to start with)

I should note that I will still being playing Hades until I, at least, get my first clear

Fallen Order is a real good Star Wars game with a pretty good story.  Subnautica is good if you like the whole resources/farming/building theme ala No Man's Sky, but done on 1 planet and there's actually a story and end goal.  Control good, but I bailed for some reason, should probably circle back to it.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am looking for suggestions for something I could play (and realistically) beat in a month. With Destiny going on hiatus for the entire month of November I am looking for a new game. With that being said... things I am considering (factoring in I am not looking on buying anything new so this is what is already available)

• Control
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Spiritfarer
  • Subnautica

There are plenty of other things I want to play but I know they are either really long or way too similar to what I have been playing. How long are Yakuza games? I didn't mention them because I felt like one of them would take awhile (plus I am always unsure which game to start with)

I should note that I will still being playing Hades until I, at least, get my first clear

Aaron has logged in quite a bit of time with the Yakuza gams.  Send him a PM.

Do not play GreedFall if you are setting a schedule to beat a game. Your time will just disappear into a void.

Edited by J.T.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do not play GreedFall if you are setting a schedule to beat a game. Your time will just disappear into a void.

There is a reason I didn't mention GreedFall, No Man's Sky, redoing a Dragon Age or other time sucks that still taunt me

I didn't really get that far with Control, and I'm not sure I actually like it, but I definitely got the impression I could have beaten it in a reasonable amount of time had I chosen to stick with it.  I also found it just irritating enough that it was easy to put down and do something else instead.

10 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I didn't really get that far with Control, and I'm not sure I actually like it, but I definitely got the impression I could have beaten it in a reasonable amount of time had I chosen to stick with it.  I also found it just irritating enough that it was easy to put down and do something else instead.

I will say that Control doesn't really get going until you get the Launch ability at which point it becomes more engrossing IMO.

If you skip the cutscenes and side content, you can probably get through most Yakuza games in around 10 hours.  But the side stuff is my favorite part of the game and I think you would be missing out on a lot of the charm of it.

2 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I will say that Control doesn't really get going until you get the Launch ability at which point it becomes more engrossing IMO.

Oh, I got that far.  For the first several hours, I only wanted to Launch my controller into orbit.  I think I got to the carousel/dash ability and then just kind of noped out on it.  Hadn't really grabbed me by then, despite the Lynchian vibes, so I haven't been back.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

• Control
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Spiritfarer
  • Subnautica

You can beat What Remains of Edith Finch and Avengers in one weekend.

I think I completed Avengers campaign in 8-10 hours. Edith Finch, I can't remember, but I'm going to say like 5 hours.

I don't think you're a trophy hunter, so those times are about right probably. If you were - I'm still trying to 100% Avengers. Not sure about Edith Finch, since for whatever reason I just don't care about achievements on the Xbox (but I finished it originally on the Switch last year during lockdown, so...)

Control was awesome and I think I beat that in about a week. I'd have to go back and look at comments on here to know for sure since I was kind of live blogging it. 

Casey is right in that Avengers goes by fast. 8 hours or less sounds pretty accurate. 

Subnautica is not a game you hope to beat in a month. That game is basically Minecraft or No Man's Sky, but in water. Really pretty game though. 

Edith Finch's ending was a total gutpunch and a few lines in her monologue really hit home - especially seeing as how I played it during the height of the lockdown last year. I imagine if you play it on Playstation or Xbox and are trophy hunting, it might take you a little bit longer because the trophies aren't tied to just completing the chapters or anything.

Avengers campaign mode is definitely like 8 hours, I took off an entire week and I was very disappointed when I finished the game in one night and had like 75-80% of the trophies already.

• Like 2

Casey's statement is the biggest reason I haven't played Edith Finch already because I know I need to be in the right frame of mind to play it (and that might not be right now)

• Like 1

My daughter now wants to play horror video games. I was thinking of getting her RE Village for Christmas. It's playing RE 7 necessary before playing Village? 

Trying to think of some other ones too. We already own Alien Isolation. I'm pretty sure she thinks Fatal Frame looks janky af. And sadly the re-release of Dead Space is too far out. Any really great ones on the PS5/PS4?

• Like 1

Yes, 7 is necessary for Village, even with the little explanations, there are pretty huge plot points carried over from 7.

Evil Within gets a lot of love in some circles, even if I didn't get hooked.  The RE2 and 3 remakes don't need previous games to flow right either.

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I really liked Until Dawn, even if it's more like an interactive film. I also really love Dying Light but it's pretty difficult until you level up enough. 

And going off this - any of the other Man of Medan ones would work

I haven't played either but I have seen a bunch of folks saying good things about Returnal and The Medium

I guess it is a question of how horrory you want it to be

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

My daughter now wants to play horror video games. I was thinking of getting her RE Village for Christmas. It's playing RE 7 necessary before playing Village? 

Trying to think of some other ones too. We already own Alien Isolation. I'm pretty sure she thinks Fatal Frame looks janky af. And sadly the re-release of Dead Space is too far out. Any really great ones on the PS5/PS4?

SOMA, but turn on Passive Mode. Not because it's hard or anything, but the "combat" and whatnot is more annoying than anything. The game is fucking great at building up a sense of fear and has a nice ambiance, etc.

The Persistence is free right now, has a PS5 upgrade, and can be played as a regular game (or VR if you have it).

Hellblade isn't your typical "horror" game but honestly I think it's one of the most terrifying games I've ever played.

Visage is entirely fucked up and I don't know how old your daughter is or anything but uh, I even felt uncomfortable watching the opening scene.

• Like 1