DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I'm a few hours in and so far I am enjoying GreedFall.  The combat is a bit spammy and the menus aren't terribly intuitive, but I like settings with grey morality and there are multiple factions at work.  There are cool people and douchebags in each faction and I am finding myself trying to pull off my skulduggery without pissing off too many people.  In game worlds like these, the direct approach is usually the worst option and having someone owe you a favor is always a good thing.  I just had to smuggle some Coin Guard (the guild that specializes in security and policing) contraband onto the ship I'm taking to the area where the adventure takes place, and I had to find a way to do it without getting on the bad side of the Nauts (the guild that controls water transport and commerce). 

I felt obligated to help the Coin Guard since the first companion for your character is a member of that faction but I also did not want to irk the Nauts since they are the people responsible for getting me to my destination safely, and it is probably wise to stay on the good side of the faction that control the waterways.  I might need safe passage on another ship again, someday.

Speaking of quests, so far my only gripe with GreedFall is that it is not particularly helpful when it comes to quest completion.  I don't need to be led by the nose, but some hints would be nice.  I used a bit of stealth and snuck my way into the Naut logistical officer's office and forged an entry into the ship's manifest.  It was only serendipity that I had the forethought to loot a nearby chest and grab the sailor's outfit (shirt, boots, gloves) 

I put on the sailor's gear because it had better stats than the stuff I was wearing but to my surprise, it also served as a disguise.  My companion mentioned something about disguising myself, but I was half paying attention and I didn't think that disguising myself would be that easy.  Dressed as a sailor, I was able to wander the Naut Warehouse area freely (RPG vets will be familiar with the concept navigating Hostile Areas via stealth or disguise) and I used dialogue options (subterfuge!) to get the Naut guards to leave the warehouse long enough for my dudes to do their thing.

I also had the option to create a "laced drink" and drug the guards, but the game did not give me the slightest inkling about how to do it.  No clues about ingredients or anything.  I am sure it had something to do with crafting, but I have zero points in Science (the skill that covers research and crating), so there is no telling whether or not I could've crafted the item even if I had the ingredients.  Later on I found the Crafting Bench while searching for a merchant to sell off my excess loot.  Would've been nice if there I had gotten a crafting tutorial right after the combat tutorial.  At least let me learn the basics and allow me create some crappy healing potions so that I can get the hang of the mechanics...

Anyway, I am a dashing black dude in a Regency-era fantasy setting (What is the colonial equivalent to Swords and Sorcery?  Muskets and Magic, maybe?) and it feels Bridgerton levels of great. I'm wearing a tricorn for fuck's sake and it is 100% pimp! 

I am starting off as a Technical (favors one handed blades, guns, and excels in trap use and crafting), but the game gives you access to Magic and Fighter talents so you can create your own hybrid class.   You only get one skill point and one attribute point for starters so choose wisely.  If I had a recommendation, it would be to chose Lockpicking as your first skill no matter what career path you take.  Getting your hands on free loot early in the game helps with upgrades and puts extra coins in your pocket.

I haven't even left my home port to start the main story and there are like six or seven starter quests to do.  Take your time and do the side jobs for the extra loot, faction bumps, and experience.

Edited by J.T.

So, in GreedFall I am a black dude and my cousin is a blonde white man.  I am good with this.  It just means the Prince d'Orsay aka my uncle and leader of the Congregation of Merchants is related to my mom (also a white woman) and not my deceased father.

Play on.

Greedfall is (well was when I played it) unpolished and had its issues, but as an open-world game lover, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its one of those that is hard for me to recommend to others and it certainly drags at times, but overall it had more good than bad.

• Like 1

Or maybe Constantin and I aren't really cousins... 

I just met an emissary from one of the indigenous tribes on the island.  She and I share the same weird facial markings, so it is pretty obvious that I am probably tied to Tir Fredde as well.  Either my father was from the island or I am adopted.

Now I have to stop a war between the Bridge Alliance and the local tribe and get back to town in time to crack down on some corrupt constables running a protection racket.  I hate timed missions.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Greedfall is (well was when I played it) unpolished and had its issues, but as an open-world game lover, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its one of those that is hard for me to recommend to others and it certainly drags at times, but overall it had more good than bad.

I have the Gold edition which seems to run pretty smoothly.  I have noticed some pathing bugs when NPCs are walking around and get stuck behind objects, but everything else seems fine so far.  

Edited by J.T.

I only played through Greedfall once, and the main things I didn't like about it were that whenever you go into combat, your companions always say the exact same thing every time, and that even though I was on good terms with everyone in the party, apparently I missed the one dialogue option that makes each of them a romance option. So I got no romance achievements.

Finished Far Cry 6. It’s…fine? The moment to moment gameplay is still fun, but I’ve played this game already. Several times. Far Cry might be the franchise that Ubi is least ambitious with. 

When I'm not playing Powerwash Simulator for the billionth time (I have no idea why I'm addicted to it either) I'm playing Psychonauts 2.  The game is incredibly fun that ticks all the right boxes for me.  One thing I feel is cheating but is also appreciated is the option to essentially use God mode.  I'm at a level where I can take a few lumps but sometimes I just want to do the story and have more fun trying to collect everything.  Plus the sooner I finish that the sooner I can get back to GTA V which I keep putting off for some dumb reason.  Maybe it's because every time I fire it up it takes me a good 40 minutes of fucking around before I decide to do missions.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When I'm not playing Powerwash Simulator for the billionth time 

Me: There's no way that's a real thing.

(Googles)

Me: (Adds to Steam wishlist).

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tabe said:

(Googles)

It sounds like a dumb idea until I saw people playing it. It has a calming vibe to it and I tend to play it when work gets pretty stressful. It's odd but it works. 

• Like 1

It figures that the biggest dickbar in GreedFall I've met so far is some asshole inquisitor from the uber religious faction.  Since I am really looking forward to killing this asshole, it will probably never happen.  Curse this faction mechanic.  I will have to be diplomatic until it is time to not be diplomatic.

It figures that my favorite response choices are the "You don't know who you are fucking with, do you?" Charisma checks.

The open world clues about missions and free roaming treasure locations could not be more cryptic.  Can a brother get a landmark?

Edited by J.T.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:12 AM, J.T. said:

While I am playing a game I probably should've played a year ago, can someone tell me if the new Guardians of the Galaxy joint is any good?

I'm debating on whether or not to pick it up. If I do I'll give you my initial impressions of it.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, Tabe said:

(Googles)

Between this, Gas Station Simulator, and Lawn Mowing Simulator, you really can find a game for damn near anything today.

• Like 2

Holy shit, this game world is fucking huge.   It would be too much ground to cover if it weren't for the campsites.  Unfortunately you have to find them first and sometimes they are guarded by really mean things.

GreedFall is going to keep me busy for a long time.  I just keep going from one rabbit hole to the next.  I just finished rescuing a research team from a native islander war band (and probably found my Bridgerton GreedFall homie's love interest) and now I am investigating a murder with my Coin Guard bro and have somehow discovered the existence of some black ops team.  And there still a shit ton left to do.

I won't be setting this game down for a while and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

FINALLY got all the way to the Final Boss in Hades

And of course it was on a run where I was just fucking around trying to get things to complete prophecies

That's how I finally beat the Final Boss. I was just screwing around with new boons with a weapon I barely used before. 

80 hours of Hades and every trophy and I still find tons of new stuff to do. 

So, not like this is advertised, and if you're like me and use multiple save slots per game...

PS+ has a file limit on it's cloud backup.  While it has over 100GB of storage, it has a hard cap of 1000 files.  So, this didn't become a problem for me until Mass Effect.  After deleting my *checks notes* 500 files, my limit is good....

• Like 1