DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I have the Halo Infinite Test Flight installed on my Xbox One. I’m curious as to how it plays on this last gen.  Will play a great deal tonight. Is infinite a big enough deal to make its own thread for some?

Just finished playing Inside, the followup to Limbo from Playdead.  You play a boy trapped in some dystopian nightmare future of giant factories, massive flooding, killer mermaids, and zombies(?) you can control.  It's a 2D puzzle platformer with tremendous animation and atmosphere.  The game is 99% black and white with just the occasional bit of color breaking through.  I found myself pleased with the graphics though I generally detest anything (movies, TV, games, etc) that's done in B&W.  It generally controls well with only the occasional frustration, usually involving turning dials/handles when time is short.  It's a short game - I took roughly 5-1/2 hours which is apparently well above the norm for completion - but it feels a LOT longer.  I found myself playing in 20-30 minute bursts and they felt much longer.  

So...is it any good?  Well, yeah.  The puzzles are good with well-thought-out solutions and, as I mentioned, the controls and graphics are terrific.

So...is it great?  Well, no.  

Spoiler

The endings, both the normal one and the alternate/secret ending (which I watched on Youtube), are ambiguous and wholly unsatisfying.  I found myself wanting more clarity and explanation for the situation/environment and that wasn't forthcoming.  I've read what other people feel the ending(s) mean and none of them are particularly satisfying either.  I guess you could say the ending irritated me and that detracted from my overall enjoyment of the game.

Overall, I'd say 7/10.  Worth every penny I paid for it since it was free ? I uninstalled it after completing it and definitely won't ever pick it up again but it's worth a shot if you're looking for a 2D puzzle platformer that has a very unique atmosphere.

• Like 2

Against my better judgment, I went back into Deathloop because I'm addicted to it. I actually made it through the entire morning in the complex without any issues and I feel like I discovered all I could discover without a single softlock. I move to noon and go to Updaam. Almost an hour into my run on there...total freeze. And then it crashed to the report error screen. I'm not that mad because I was mostly fucking around and Updaam is really empty at noon so it shouldn't be hard to go back in and just keep exploring, but this game locks up almost as much as Cyberpunk. 

At least it's way better than Cyberpunk. 

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I started playing Hades so it was nice talking to y'all

This is a fun game, but also, fuck this game. I've only made it to Megaera once, and died almost immediately because my health was low going into her chamber.

Fuuuuuuck.

• Like 1

I have made it to her twice but haven't gotten past her yet.

First run was like yours where I had basically no health.

Second run was better but I was also fucking around with a new weapon and kept trying to do strategies that worked better with other weapons.

Oh well

• Like 1

The thing about Hades, is once it 'clicked' (as in I got good and started getting better upgrades), it really clicked. I went from struggling to reach the first boss to usually getting to the end to then having something like ten complete successful runs in a row. Its just one of those games but it was a fun journey and its so satisfying once everything comes together and you can get through the first couple stages barely getting damaged.

• Like 4

Looking for advice on wireless over-the-ear headsets for......... 

PS3 & PS4. 

Yes, you read that right. I used to have a Pulse Elite years ago but it died. 

I do not care about voice chat - just game audio. I would prefer Bluetooth and to avoid using a dongle if I can help it but mainly care about ease of use, comfort, and price. 

So.... whatcha recommend? 

Edited by Tabe

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The thing about Hades, is once it 'clicked' (as in I got good and started getting better upgrades), it really clicked. I went from struggling to reach the first boss to usually getting to the end to then having something like ten complete successful runs in a row. Its just one of those games but it was a fun journey and its so satisfying once everything comes together and you can get through the first couple stages barely getting damaged.

It is funny that you said that because last night I had the first "click" for lack of a better word as I suddenly blew through to Meg and I was "Holy Shit - I have all my health left" and I beat her and then kept on trucking all the way to the fucking Bone Hydra and even that wasn't hideous. I probably would have been able to advance if I hadn't started the fight with like only 8 health.

I've actually not really touched any Metroidvanias or Roguelikes/lites. I think I've just never been super intrigued by the repetition and beating your head against scenarios (outside of the recent Hitman stuff).

I probably will play a couple over the holidays just to be fair. Between PS Plus and Gamepass, I have no shortage of ones to look over. 

48 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I've actually not really touched any Metroidvanias or Roguelikes/lites. I think I've just never been super intrigued by the repetition and beating your head against scenarios (outside of the recent Hitman stuff).

I probably will play a couple over the holidays just to be fair. Between PS Plus and Gamepass, I have no shortage of ones to look over. 

For what it's with,  I feel the same way about frustration in gaming. With that said,  I've recently started on a roguelike/lite kick and they are kind of designed not to be frustrating. I played the shit out of Hades and honestly think it's one of the best games I've played in years. Sure,  you die a lot,  especially in the beginning,  but it never feels cheap. You feel yourself getting better every run,  and you upgrade your character regularly enough that even if you suck you'll progress. Seriously,  you'll go from not being able to beat the first boss to having no trouble with the final boss in a way that makes you feel like you earned every bit of progress you made every step of the way. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

For what it's with,  I feel the same way about frustration in gaming. With that said,  I've recently started on a roguelike/lite kick and they are kind of designed not to be frustrating. I played the shit out of Hades and honestly think it's one of the best games I've played in years. Sure,  you die a lot,  especially in the beginning,  but it never feels cheap. You feel yourself getting better every run,  and you upgrade your character regularly enough that even if you suck you'll progress. Seriously,  you'll go from not being able to beat the first boss to having no trouble with the final boss in a way that makes you feel like you earned every bit of progress you made every step of the way. 

Ditto to all of this. I felt like a gaming god when I went on a long Hades unbeaten run yet any of the Souls style games kick my ass quickly.

Any suggestions on the roguelikes/lites? I don't really know the difference between the two, but this vein in the thread has reminded me that Hades and Slay The Spire have probably been the two games I've sunk the most time into. There's something about a game that offers a 30 - 60 minute experience, start to finish, that you pick up from time to time with that intention and only to find that you don't put it down for hours.  

5 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Ditto to all of this. I felt like a gaming god when I went on a long Hades unbeaten run yet any of the Souls style games kick my ass quickly.

Any suggestions on the roguelikes/lites? 

I've only really played Hades and Dead Cells,  both of which I'd highly recommend to anyone who was remotely interested in the genre. 

• Like 1

Hades is my first roguelikes so I am not sure if all of them are this way but the fact that you HAVE to die to advance the story and relationships with people makes it so much more enjoyable.

I already have my routine down including make sure to pet Cerberus every single time (not that I wasn't anyway but my son demands it every time he is watching me play)

38 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The progression in Dead Cells was quite enough for me. You didn't get the sense you were gaining at least a little bit overall in every run maybe?

Yeah,  Dead Cells is great. I prefer Hades, but Hades is probably the best game of the 2020s so far.  I played them in reverse order,  so I probably underrate Dead Cells in comparison, but it's a hell of a good time. 

4 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Any suggestions on the roguelikes/lites? I don't really know the difference between the two, but this vein in the thread has reminded me that Hades and Slay The Spire have probably been the two games I've sunk the most time into. There's something about a game that offers a 30 - 60 minute experience, start to finish, that you pick up from time to time with that intention and only to find that you don't put it down for hours.  

Binding of Isaac is great if you don't mind the sacrilegious/scatological trappings.  FTL still holds up although it's unforgiving even for a roguelike.

If you want a more rogue-y roguelike I recommend Tales of Maj'eyal or Caves of Qud.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:59 PM, RIPPA said:

I started playing Hades so it was nice talking to y'all

I just got the Platinum trophy for it and am about 80 hours in. I am moving on to something else for now but I feel there is easily another 80 hours of play I could get out of it.

• Like 1

Got past Meg for a 2nd time last night but didn't get as far afterwards as the first time.

I can consistently get to her now. I just suck at some of these weapons