DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Ok, I feel like others may have asked this, but I'm a bozo. I FINALLY got my hands on a PS5, and wanted to know which games to start with. I already have Miles Morales, and I don't like FPS games. Chat me up.

Here's my list to start with:

• Astro's Playroom (of course and first one you need to play, it's fun)
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
  • Demon's Souls
  • Returnal
  • Control (the PS5 port/remaster is a wonder to behold)
  • Deathloop
  • Outriders (may want to wait until it's cheaper though)
  • Tales of Arise (probably the best Tales of game in a long time)
  • Yakuza: Like A Dragon (crazy JRPG style game in Yakuza world)
  • Like 2

Just an FYI: I noticed that the Edge browser updated on my Series X and I was able to stream xCloud stuff with no problem. It was laggy for me, but I also don’t have great internet. Would have been fine for something less action-y, I think. 

Also noticed a few video sites I’d never been able to get working consistently (bilibili and the Roku channel were the two I tried) seem to run way better. 

EDIT: Still seems like movies borrowed through the Hoopla library app don’t play. That’s a bit of a bummer, but also the first thing I’ve tried that hasn’t worked. 

Edited by Shane

My short list of PS5 must-haves would be:

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (looks gorgeous) and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Astro's Playroom.  So.  Much.  Fun.

Demon's Souls

Returnal and Deathloop are both great.  Both shooters, but more story-driven and high-concept than most shooters.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is a lot of fun and impressive technically.

Resident Evil Village is one of my favorite RE games in the series, though it didn't need to be RE.  It's basically Van Helsing: The Game with RE grafted on to it.  Not that that's a bad thing.

Loved the Pathless. From the art director of Journey, but more action-y than Journey or the studio's first game, Abzu.

I've really liked the new material in Ghost of Tushima Director's Cut and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, so those get my nod.  Expecting to put Death Stranding Director's Cut on that list too.

Nearly though Kena: Bridge of Spirits and it's one of my favorites in.  Charming aesthetic, looks beautiful in every frame, really punched above it's weight.  Probably my favorite Zelda-esque game in years that isn't Breath of the Wild.

A lot of great PS4 games have gotten patches or remasters, so there's always that.  

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had *just* finished the Directors Cut for Ghost of Tsushima before I got the new system, but I am sure I will pay for the PS5 upgrade at some point. I think Kena has most of my interest until games like Horizon Forbidden West hit.

Thanks for the heads up on Astro's Playroom, since there is a chance I would have overlooked it.

It also seems like my PS4 games will get a decent little boost too?

Loading times for PS4 games (Horizon, I’m looking at you) are a little better if you store them on the console. Other than that, I haven’t noticed anything like graphical or frame rate improvements. But I’m horrible at judging that sort of thing anyway.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:24 AM, Tabe said:

Apparently, Actraiser Renaissance scrolls at less than 60 fps and repeats frames. Game Sack has an in-depth, not particularly positive, review:

https://youtu.be/iA9ZWiFISyk

Digital Foundry reviewed and said some of the same things.  On the whole, DF guys were positive about it, but they noted there was some stuttering in side-scrolling due to Unity engine (apparently, they've seen that before but it can be fixed by developers, so I assume it's more of an optimization issue).  Then, later in the video, they talk about performance issues on Switch and base PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bx_bJF89vs

Edited by Eoae

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Digital Foundry reviewed and said some of the same things.  On the whole, DF guys were positive about it, but they noted there was some stuttering in side-scrolling due to Unity engine (apparently, they've seen that before but it can be fixed by developers, so I assume it's more of an optimization issue).  Then, later in the video, they talk about performance issues on Switch and base PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bx_bJF89vs

Yeah, Game Sack mentioned it's apparently an extremely easy fix for the Unity camera.  Still...it's incredible that it got released with that issue.

I will say that I don't think the graphics are anywhere near as bad as the critics are saying.  I don't think they're perfect but I think they look fine - or better.  The scrolling is a problem, of course.

The tower defense and intrusive hints are more problematic to me.  I think I would have preferred a 1:1 remake of the original with better graphics and soundtrack.  

The Mafia 3 video I made of Lincoln gut punching a white gas station vendor after being called "boy," made the XBox Live trending content feed last night.  Granted I was trespassing and sauntered into a No Coloreds Allowed business like I owned it, so technically I was breaking the law.

I cut that game clip two weeks ago..  Better late than never,  I guess.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

I FINALLY made it past what is basically a very long tutorial mode in Deathloop and it to the part where I can visit any area and advance the time of day whenever I want so now the game has really opened up.

And everything goes well in Deathloop until you put your PS5 in rest mode and then discover your kid has closed the game out to play something else...I had so many purple and golden weapons too.

• Like 1

Can't save in Deathloop. Also, holy shit, I thought I was done with the tutorial shit, but I actually wasn't. It was like a lesser tutorial I was in that lead me to getting the ability to absorb Residuum. NOW I'm done with whatever their tutorial mode is. I have the ability to go wherever I want and I can absorb Residuum to bind weapons and abilities to myself after I die.

This game is fucking COOL. It's probably the best time loop game ever and it's just a really fun FPS that evokes feelings and memories of stuff like Bioshock, Bulletstorm, Doom, Prey, and the stealth in it is a lot of fun. I think most of the time I wind up skulking around and tricking enemies into dying by my machete or I lead them into traps where turrets I've taken over mow them down.

As for the story, where Control really scratched the paranormal, LOST-ish itch, this does it even more. To begin with, you're on an island that you can't leave that also happens to be a source of a huge amount of power that could fuck up the planet. Each zone gives me a heavy Dharma feeling because there are so many locations built for what are essentially cultists and weirdos. Plus, tons of labs with multiple ways of entering them.

Deathloop is a game that I don't think you can really nail down with any review. You just kind of have to play it for yourself. So far, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever.

• Like 1

Man, Deathloop really motherfucked me last night. If you haven't been paying attention, Deathloop has some issues with softlocking. Now, it has happened to me before where all of a sudden the game freezes. The sound is still playing, but you can't move and you can't really do anything. And then it unfreezes and you can play as normal.

Another softlock is when you press the touchpad to look at your clues and info. I was about two hours into a perfect session. I went to the complex in the morning to turn on all of the generators. I did all of that. I found a purple Peppermill at one point. I managed to survive some pretty close calls. And I had something like nearly 20k in Residuum.

And then it fucking softlocked on me. Couldn't back out of the menu screen. What's weirder is that I could use R2/L2 and R1/L1 to page through the different screens in the menu, but I couldn't back out of it. I was totally stuck. I tried three times to put the PS5 into rest mode and then went back to the game and I was still softlocked. Had to close out of the game entirely and I lost everything I had gained.

So after a really great experience with the game, I had about the worst possible experience. At this point, I'm putting this game on hold and just going back to Tsushima until Deathloop gets patched. I can't imagine getting close to killing all of the Visionaries on one run, only to have the game lock up and have to start all over again.

• Sad 1

Monster week for me.  Going to end up buying 8-12 games.  Next week packed too.

Currently playing G-Darius HD and it's fast becoming one of my favorite shmups.  Forgot how much I enjoyed this game 20 years ago.  It's been a great year for shmups.  Ports of two Saturn Cotton games are dropping today and we've gotten ports of two Cave classics - Mushihimesama and Espagaluda II - this summer, with DoDonPachi Resurrection and a Deathsmiles compilation on the way.  

Also a number of interesting indies out this week.  First couple reviews of the Eternal Cylinder were good and the demo was strange and fascinating (from a developer that does strange, fascinating games). A Juggler's Tale is beautiful and the demo was fun.  Death's Gambit: Afterlife drops today too.  i liked the original game more than most people so I'm good with a revised version that has about twice the content. 

Anyone play Chernobylite yet?  It's been on PC for awhile.  A little on the fence about it, but it looks nice and reminds me of the sort of offbeat "outside the box" shooters I enjoyed on PS3 but don't see as often on PS4.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Monster week for me.  Going to end up buying 8-12 games.  Next week packed too.

Currently playing G-Darius HD and it's fast becoming one of my favorite shmups.  Forgot how much I enjoyed this game 20 years ago.  It's been a great year for shmups.  Ports of two Saturn Cotton games are dropping today and we've gotten ports of two Cave classics - Mushihimesama and Espagaluda II - this summer, with DoDonPachi Resurrection and a Deathsmiles compilation on the way.  

Also a number of interesting indies out this week.  First couple reviews of the Eternal Cylinder were good and the demo was strange and fascinating (from a developer that does strange, fascinating games). A Juggler's Tale is beautiful and the demo was fun.  Death's Gambit: Afterlife drops today too.  i liked the original game more than most people so I'm good with a revised version that has about twice the content. 

Anyone play Chernobylite yet?  It's been on PC for awhile.  A little on the fence about it, but it looks nice and reminds me of the sort of offbeat "outside the box" shooters I enjoyed on PS3 but don't see as often on PS4.

I'll probably end up getting G-Darius HD and the Saturn re-releases (Cotton II, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force) myself.

The trophy hunters I know recommend Chernobylite because it's an easy yet really fun Platinum to do.

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, Deathloop really motherfucked me last night. If you haven't been paying attention, Deathloop has some issues with softlocking. Now, it has happened to me before where all of a sudden the game freezes. The sound is still playing, but you can't move and you can't really do anything. And then it unfreezes and you can play as normal.

Another softlock is when you press the touchpad to look at your clues and info. I was about two hours into a perfect session. I went to the complex in the morning to turn on all of the generators. I did all of that. I found a purple Peppermill at one point. I managed to survive some pretty close calls. And I had something like nearly 20k in Residuum.

And then it fucking softlocked on me. Couldn't back out of the menu screen. What's weirder is that I could use R2/L2 and R1/L1 to page through the different screens in the menu, but I couldn't back out of it. I was totally stuck. I tried three times to put the PS5 into rest mode and then went back to the game and I was still softlocked. Had to close out of the game entirely and I lost everything I had gained.

So after a really great experience with the game, I had about the worst possible experience. At this point, I'm putting this game on hold and just going back to Tsushima until Deathloop gets patched. I can't imagine getting close to killing all of the Visionaries on one run, only to have the game lock up and have to start all over again.

Shit talking Cyberpunk became a popular way to get clicks, and most complaints were completely justified, but so many major releases have issues like this and most of them seem to fly under the radar. Happened in Assassin's Creed too, in a slightly different way. Obviously this is a very legitimate complaint, nothing worse than softlocking in a game with an unfriendly save system, it just strikes me as odd that it has a 88 on metacritic even with such an annoying bug and people seem to be willing to let some broken things slide if they are in the mood to.

I fully intend on playing Deathloop, sounds like a blast but definitely waiting until the end of the year so they can do a few patchy patches. I used to play more games at launch but developers seem to be having issues with something related to the PS5 still so I am holding off until they figure it out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Shit talking Cyberpunk became a popular way to get clicks, and most complaints were completely justified, but so many major releases have issues like this and most of them seem to fly under the radar. Happened in Assassin's Creed too, in a slightly different way. Obviously this is a very legitimate complaint, nothing worse than softlocking in a game with an unfriendly save system, it just strikes me as odd that it has a 88 on metacritic even with such an annoying bug and people seem to be willing to let some broken things slide if they are in the mood to.

I fully intend on playing Deathloop, sounds like a blast but definitely waiting until the end of the year so they can do a few patchy patches. I used to play more games at launch but developers seem to be having issues with something related to the PS5 still so I am holding off until they figure it out.

The most surprising thing about how buggy Deathloop is to me is the fact that it is a PS5 exclusive.  Most Playstation exclusives play like dreams.  I generally only use my Playstation to play exclusives and it is rare when one of those games comes out feeling like it wasn't ready for release.  Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man Miles Morales, God of War, Persona 5 Royal, Horizon Zero Dawn, all great game all pretty much completely bug free.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The most surprising thing about how buggy Deathloop is to me is the fact that it is a PS5 exclusive.  Most Playstation exclusives play like dreams.  I generally only use my Playstation to play exclusives and it is rare when one of those games comes out feeling like it wasn't ready for release.  Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man Miles Morales, God of War, Persona 5 Royal, Horizon Zero Dawn, all great game all pretty much completely bug free.

To be fair, I wouldn't say Deathloop is that buggy. The softlock bug is pretty unavoidable though. Like I said, most of the time, the game would be frozen, but not frozen, and then it would unfreeze and you could start moving around again. The menu softlock completely fucks up your run though and you have no choice but to close out and restart. If that particular softlock didn't happen then I would just keep playing the game. However, this is a timeloop roguelike game and there's no sense in fucking around with it if a bug exists that kills your run.

And by the way, it's a pretty long fucking run to beat the game. There are 8, I think, Visionaries/bosses in all and getting to some of them is pretty hard.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be fair, I wouldn't say Deathloop is that buggy. The softlock bug is pretty unavoidable though. Like I said, most of the time, the game would be frozen, but not frozen, and then it would unfreeze and you could start moving around again. The menu softlock completely fucks up your run though and you have no choice but to close out and restart. If that particular softlock didn't happen then I would just keep playing the game. However, this is a timeloop roguelike game and there's no sense in fucking around with it if a bug exists that kills your run.

And by the way, it's a pretty long fucking run to beat the game. There are 8, I think, Visionaries/bosses in all and getting to some of them is pretty hard.

Yeah, I'm playing it too.  I haven't had many problems during gameplay, but have had more than a few soft locks between runs where the menus just stop working.  It's not a huge deal, but it sucks when you just got some great gear and the game won't let you do what you need to keep that gear.  It also breaks momentum, and makes it much easier to put the game down.  When I'm making progress and uncovering clues, I want to jump right back in to see if I can unlock the next thing, but as soon as I get to a menu that doesn't work I want to turn the game off.  If it happened once or twice, I wouldn't complain, but it has happened to me a lot, and it's probably why I haven't beaten the game.

That's 100% my experience. Totally. I cannot put the game down and have the, ok, just one more run, or just find one more clue mentality when everything is going well and you're not affected by any bugs. And when I'm done, I want to go right back into it or I look forward to jumping back into it.

But getting softlocked and undoing everything you uncovered in an area really, really, really sucks. 

I have more than enough games to play at the moment so I can be patient while waiting for a patch. I just hope it comes along soon.