DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I finally finished and got the platinum for Cosmic Star Heroine. It only took 11 hours (but, in reality, it was 11 hours spread out over 9 months). I love this game so much. But there were three trophies that were glitched, and two of them were the platinum itself and the Gold trophy for finishing the game (the other was for an optional boss). Not a big deal, just had to reload my save and do it again, but that would have been so frustrating if I wasn't one of those people who compulsively saves every few minutes.

Oh, and back to the storage discussion... I looked at the file sizes that I have on my PS5, and it looks like the biggest game I have installed is Assassin's Creed Odyssey, coming in at 100GB even. 

• Like 2

Got my 228th Platinum trophy with Medal of Honor Warfighter for PS3. The online is sorta broken now from what I've heard and it's very likely EA will shut down the servers for this and Medal of Honor (2010) in the near future.

Campaign isn't that bad and actually better than what reviewers thought at release.

• Like 1

Everything about Deathloop worked for me from start to finish. Not my game of the year, but definitely top 10.  Really looking forward to replaying this in a year when it hits Xbox.

Next three weeks look packed for me.  Got 20 games on my list, most of which are probably definite buys regardless of reviews.  A little bit of everything.  Couple big games (Death Stranding DC, Lost Judgment, Metroid Dread), a couple remasters I'm really looking forward to (Diablo II Resurrected, Alan Wake Remastered, frigging G-DARIUS HD YESS!!!!!).  Some prestige indies (Sable, Kena).  And.... some indies I've fascinated by.  I've got no idea if Away: Survival Series, A Juggler's Tale, or The Eternal Cylinder are any good, but they look like the sort of offbeat, fascinating thing I look for and two of the three had intriguing demos.

Played I am Fish last night after finishing Deathloop the night before.  It's a lot of fun.  Ridiculous and absurd, but oh so fun.  The controls are clunky, but I think that's intentional?  The developer, Bossa Studios, also made Surgeon Simulator and I Am Bread.  Won't appeal to everyone and will probably frustrate a lot of people, but I'm hoping it becomes at least a niche success.

I'm still playing through Deathloop, but very slowly though. I mainly try to stealth everything and setup traps using those turret briefcases. The turret briefcases feels like I'm cheesing the game a little bit though because a turret that starts firing on the badguys never triggers every other badguy to go and find where Cole is since he's the only one who would have done it. They just get killed by it and that's it. Then I'll throw a bottle or bang on something, more bad guys will walk up, get shot, die, rinse, repeat. I did that all throughout the Complex section.

I also find myself trying to explore each and every nook and cranny of an area even though the game is urging me to go to the exit.

Finally, I'm still at the part of the game where you complete Updaam, and then you go to the Complex, I finished the Complex and now I'm at the next area and it's afternoon, and after that I assume it will be the 4th area and it will be evening. I take it that I'm still in what is basically a tutorial mode, aren't I? Like, I'm not actually "in" the game until I get to a point where I can go to whatever zone I want whenever I want.

I finally connected an external HD to my PS4, because it was unable to download updates and install new games.

Let everything update and decided to check out PS+ and discovered that I had Mafia 3 in my library.

Don't remember when they offered it but I'm grateful they did.

JT's playthrough got me interested in playing the game.

I also found out that the DLC is free in the store, so double win.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Eoae said:

Lol, I think I enjoy reading about J.T.'s war on the KKK more than I've enjoyed a lot of the games I've played lately.

It wasn't just a war.  IT WAS A CRUSADE~!!!

11 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

JT's playthrough got me interested in playing the game.

I also found out that the DLC is free in the store, so double win.

It is a cathartic if repetitive game.   If you are going to run the DLC, take note of the game killing bug I recently encountered.

If you are playing for a second time on a replay save and are running Sign of the Times, the game will glitch and you will be unable complete the Sammy's Renovations part of the DLC.  The game character you need to interact with will be stuck in an inaccessible part of the building.

In order to play through multiple times you'll need to totally delete your old save data from local and cloud services AND you'll have to uninstall / re-install Mafia 3.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Really tempted to buy Kena: Bridge of Spirits, but also, if I keep buying every new game that comes out then there will be nothing for Christmas.

You may want to look into a Gamefly account for a couple of months.

EDIT: I remember seeing a trailer for that game on State of Play. I didn't realize it released. I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it.

Double EDIT: I guess because google said February and it came out this week so *facepalm*.

Edited by Chaos

I was looking for a fun strategy game as I've always been intrigued by them. Ancestors Legacy for PS4 looked interesting and was only $15 or so in the PS Store so I bought it after looking at a few online videos. Anyone here played it before? If so, any tips?

Got back into Streets of Rage 4 with the DLC dropping. The survival mode is a good challenge and the added characters are fun to play with. I keep being in awe of the people on YT and Twitch that are really good at the game though. I've just started getting better and chaining moves and using bounces to my advantage but those guys have it down to a science.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of beat em ups, when is that Ninja Turtles game coming out? I thought it was supposed to be out by now.

Shredder's Revenge?  I don't think it's ever had a release date more specific than "2021".  

Put down the Dark Souls series for good after completing them all a few weeks back and have been in limbo looking for the next game to get me fully sucked in. I’ve been trying with Uncharted Lost Abyss, as I’ve enjoyed everything else in the series a lot. Maybe it’s just game fatigue but it’s not sticking with me yet. The beginning is always slower but I feel like 5 hours in there’s only been about 30 minutes of “fun” so far. Hard to keep going. 

I really don’t understand why it’s so hard but I feel like new games, usually no matter how good, take a certain level of activation energy to hit a tipping point where I can’t stop playing them. There’s sooo many games I’ve played and stopped at the beginning, only to swap it for replaying something more familiar. Maybe I just enjoy mindless gaming more. But I have Hollow Knight just sitting there waiting to be played, and I absolutely love Dark Souls and Castlevanoa, so I know it’ll be right up my alley, and yet here I am playing Bloodstained for the second time. With my huge bucket list of games I still need to play I almost find myself overwhelmed and end up reverting to comfort games.  

Bloodstained is really fun, but there is definitely some magic missing compared to the original CV’s. The fact that they had to change every little monster name so as not to copy the original franchise really hurts the game and makes it feel like a cheap knock off to me, even though I know it’s not and why they had to do it. Art style doesn’t quite do it for me either. The series peaked for me with the DS games, DoS and OoE are two of my favorite games ever but it’s good to see Iga move the series (spin off series I guess) back into the right direction.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, JLSigman said:

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII on Steam for the first time, and it's been a few to several years since I played the game at all (I guess since Zodiac Age came out for PS4?), and wow I had forgotten how easy it was, even early on, to suddenly lose 2 1/2 hours of time. Grinding hunts and stuff early on really makes a difference.

40 hours in and haven't made it to Archades yet. I really don't like how the new version of the game took so many needful spells and technicks out of the stores and into random treasure chests. Then there's the fact that you have to lock in a party pretty early on since only one person can cast protective spells.  It's also embarrassing to me how much I've forgotten, when I used to be able to run large parts of this in my sleep. I had thought I'd go all out, try to get all the espers, etc., but now I'm not sure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

Bloodstained is really fun, but there is definitely some magic missing compared to the original CV’s. The fact that they had to change every little monster name so as not to copy the original franchise really hurts the game and makes it feel like a cheap knock off to me, even though I know it’s not and why they had to do it. Art style doesn’t quite do it for me either. The series peaked for me with the DS games, DoS and OoE are two of my favorite games ever but it’s good to see Iga move the series (spin off series I guess) back into the right direction.

Bloodstained ROTN is my 3rd favorite Metroidvania game, after #1 Castlevania SOTN and #2 Super Metroid.  I played through it last year, after marathoning the NES/SNES Metroid and Castlevania games. Immediately after finishing it, i wanted to start all over. That's not the reaction i have to most games (for example, after beating Super Metroid, it just made me want to play NES Metroid again.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Bloodstained ROTN is my 3rd favorite Metroidvania game, after #1 Castlevania SOTN and #2 Super Metroid.  I played through it last year, after marathoning the NES/SNES Metroid and Castlevania games. Immediately after finishing it, i wanted to start all over. That's not the reaction i have to most games (for example, after beating Super Metroid, it just made me want to play NES Metroid again.)

I've played through it twice now, once when it first came out and once this year. I'm not sure I like it more than Aria of Sorrow or Dawn of Sorrow. It's a little squishy both in the physics and in the ability to cheese certain things. It certainly rewards multiple playthroughs as there are a lot of different ways to play. You tend to end up focusing on just a few spells/builds/weapons each time. I like all of the extra stuff to find/cook/craft/fetch towards the end but I'm not sure if the progression quite works out cleanly. It's a very fun metroidvania but maybe lacking just a bit of polish that I took for granted in SOTN, Aria/Dawn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I've played through it twice now, once when it first came out and once this year. I'm not sure I like it more than Aria of Sorrow or Dawn of Sorrow. It's a little squishy both in the physics and in the ability to cheese certain things. It certainly rewards multiple playthroughs as there are a lot of different ways to play. You tend to end up focusing on just a few spells/builds/weapons each time. I like all of the extra stuff to find/cook/craft/fetch towards the end but I'm not sure if the progression quite works out cleanly. It's a very fun metroidvania but maybe lacking just a bit of polish that I took for granted in SOTN, Aria/Dawn.

i will admit that my experience with the handheld CV games is minimal. definitely an oversight i want to correct. as soon as i clear more games off my backlog......

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i will admit that my experience with the handheld CV games is minimal. definitely an oversight i want to correct. as soon as i clear more games off my backlog......

I just snagged the GBA ones for $20 on the switch, which means I'm not going to actually dump $60 and get Metroid Dread for a while. I haven't played these guys in ten years, and while Castle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance aren't as good, they're still a lot of fun.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Ok, I feel like others may have asked this, but I'm a bozo. I FINALLY got my hands on a PS5, and wanted to know which games to start with. I already have Miles Morales, and I don't like FPS games. Chat me up.

Ghost of Tsushima? Astro's Playroom is honestly really fun, and comes pre-installed. I've heard Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is really good, and very pretty to boot. Kena: Bridge of Spirits? There's not a whole hell of a lot of PS5 games. It seems like right now, the vast majority are either F2P, indie titles or just upgrade paths.

Here's the list of PS5 games that I own:

• Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation 2
  • Warframe
  • No Man's Sky
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Hell Let Loose
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Metro Exodus
  • CrossCode
  • Genshin Impact
  • Terminator: Resistance
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Maneater
  • Bugsnax
  • Astro's Playroom

I'm not sure when the Ghostrunner next-gen upgrade drops, but when it does I'll be getting that too. But yeah, like 8 of those titles are just free upgrades, four of them are free-to-play, some were PS Plus games... not a lot of actual, exclusive next-gen stuff. Just a lot of PS4 games that got next-gen upgrades, which is kind of disappointing for being a year into the system.

I'd feel the same way about the Xbox Series X/S if I hadn't owned an Xbox for years and was getting to play games I've never touched before.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1