DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

What do people think of PS Now?  I'm thinking of subscribing, mostly to get access to the PS3 library (esp. the first-party titles as most third-party PS3 games will eventually end up on Steam Deck when it arrives).

I'm heard some negative things about playing PS3 games on PS Now - apparently you can only stream them and can't download to your PS4/PS5 - but, honestly, I've never paid much attention to services like PS Now and Game Pass.

Mostly interested in how well games like Puppeteer, Ico, Tokyo Jungle, etc. play on the service.  I have the games on my PS3, but I have way too many game consoles hooked up and it's probably getting time to box the PS3 up for good.  Most titles of interest from the Xbox 360/PS3 generation are available on Steam or have been remastered or are backwards compatible with my Series X, and that's generally the better way to play those games.

Thanks.

• Like 1

PSNow works fine on console and when I did the trial, I thought it was fine.

It runs like utter dogshit on PC, which is how I play most everything (I use PS Remote Play for a lot of stuff because I can just see it better on my laptop screen than the TV and I can play in bed instead of sitting in front of the TV)  So I dropped it because just everything was unplayable.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

What do people think of PS Now?  I'm thinking of subscribing, mostly to get access to the PS3 library (esp. the first-party titles as most third-party PS3 games will eventually end up on Steam Deck when it arrives).

I'm heard some negative things about playing PS3 games on PS Now - apparently you can only stream them and can't download to your PS4/PS5 - but, honestly, I've never paid much attention to services like PS Now and Game Pass.

Mostly interested in how well games like Puppeteer, Ico, Tokyo Jungle, etc. play on the service.  I have the games on my PS3, but I have way too many game consoles hooked up and it's probably getting time to box the PS3 up for good.  Most titles of interest from the Xbox 360/PS3 generation are available on Steam or have been remastered or are backwards compatible with my Series X, and that's generally the better way to play those games.

Thanks.

I have it, and use it occasionally, but I also have an Xbox and everything about Gamepass is better.  Don't expect to play anything current, but if you are looking for PS3 and PS4 games, you'll have a lot of fun with it.  

• Like 1

Oh hey...I've had a real shit day so far and I'm in the mood to spend a big chunk of money to try to feel better. So let's talk about memory expansion on the PS5.

Do I go with just 1 TB for around $189, or should go for 2 TB, which is nearly $400. It's hard to think off the top of my head just how much space games are taking up. Part of me feels like I should just get the 1 TB option. If I remember correctly, Deathloop was under 50 gb, so that's pretty good for a AAA game. That would be around 20 more games.

Yeah, maybe I'll just get the 1 TB. Now it's a decision of the WD Black or the Samsung 980.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh hey...I've had a real shit day so far and I'm in the mood to spend a big chunk of money to try to feel better. So let's talk about memory expansion on the PS5.

Do I go with just 1 TB for around $189, or should go for 2 TB, which is nearly $400. It's hard to think off the top of my head just how much space games are taking up. Part of me feels like I should just get the 1 TB option. If I remember correctly, Deathloop was under 50 gb, so that's pretty good for a AAA game. That would be around 20 more games.

Yeah, maybe I'll just get the 1 TB. Now it's a decision of the WD Black or the Samsung 980.

Do you play Call of Duty?  From what I hear, Call of Duty takes up a massive amount of space so if you play it you should probably get the bigger SSD.  With that said, we are in the first year of the PS5, so I think it's pretty safe to say that the games will only be getting bigger.  If you have the cash, I'd probably advise to get the larger one, just so you don't have to buy another one later, but for now the smaller one will suffice unless you play Call of Duty.

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

In general, you're looking at 30-50 gigs for a AAA game.  There are a handful that are larger, running all the way up to 225 gigs for Call of Duty.

If you can live with the $$$, no one has ever said "man, I wish I had LESS storage space".

https://gamerant.com/ps5-biggest-game-file-sizes-gb/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

This is nit picky since the article itself hasn't been updated since March but some of those sizes are wrong

Like Destiny 2 optimized the game for both PS5 and XBOX and the file size is only roughly 67 GB (Maybe it closer to like 75 now with a few updates)

BTW, I recently learned that on the PS5, it was installing PS4 and PS5 versions of games and you could feel free to delete anything tagged as PS4 as long as it was also in there for the PS5. I went ahead and deleted all of those PS4 versions and freed up a ton of space.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but, of the two, I'd go with the WD Black.  That seems to be the consensus pick, though it's probably edging out the Samsung 980 by a hair.

I'm also looking at the Seagate Firecuda 530 because I mostly buy Seagate for storage options and have never had a bad experience.  Also, Seagate makes a 4 TB model.  The other choices range from 500 MB - 2 TB.  Problem is that the Firecuda is more expensive and sold out.  I couldn't find a 4 TB in stock last night except for a couple eBay sellers.  Actually, I've got my IT guys at work looking for a 4 TB.  They think they can find one for me.

If I can't get the 4 tb model, I'm going with either Firecuda 530 or WD 850, depending on price and how fast and easy I can get one or the other.  Price is also a factor with the 4 TB Seagate.  If IT finds me one, I'm expecting it to run me $1,000-$1,300 all told.  Not sure I really need to spend that much.

Honestly, the best strategy might be what I'm doing with the Series X since the official Seagate expansion card is only 1 tb.  Everything installs by default to a 10 GB external HDD "hub."   A few large games that require the SSD got moved to the expansion card (Microsoft Flight Simulator, for example).  The internal console storage is reserved for games I'm playing.  Been moving games to and from the console SSD as I play them.  That's been working ok for me so far.

Edited by Eoae

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

With that said, we are in the first year of the PS5, so I think it's pretty safe to say that the games will only be getting bigger.

isn’t the general consensus that file sizes will get smaller over time due to optimization? We’re still looking at 40-60GBs, but from what I’ve seen Call of Duty games seem to be outlier.

Ehhhh they're good but they're also sort of not(I pre-ordered so I played the beta).  If you're in an area with cool lighting FX it looks great, but when you're in a regular-ass field or something it's kind of whatever.  Animations still feel weird even in 60fps mode, but I feel like they constrained themselves by really going out of their way to change nothing gameplay wise and only update the visuals and sound.

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Is the demo still up? I think it has a pretty lengthy one.

Still available for Xbox.  Fairly certain it's also available on PSN.

23 hours ago, Raziel said:

PSNow works fine on console and when I did the trial, I thought it was fine.

I subscribed and thought the games I tried last night were fine.  PS3 library isn't as complete as I hoped, but there's still 35 or so PS3 games of interest that aren't available on current gen consoles (Steam, PS5, Switch, Series X).  I picked up a year's subscription for $60.  As long as I can play Ico, Puppeteer, Infamous, and Ratchet and Clank Future without dragging out the PS3, I'll be very satisfied.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

isn’t the general consensus that file sizes will get smaller over time due to optimization? We’re still looking at 40-60GBs, but from what I’ve seen Call of Duty games seem to be outlier.

From the developer interviews I've read, yes, that's the expected trend, but there are still a lot of humongous games.  I seem to skip a lot of the games with the largest file sizes and I've still downloaded a number of 100+ GB games lately.  I mean. I'll be somewhat surprised if Halo Infinite isn't at least close to 100 mb.  I think.

My take is that it's not so much the size of games that are going to fill SSD drives.  It's that there are so damn many of them.  We're less than a year into a new generation and storage space is already an issue and is going to always be an issue due to the price of SSD expansions (ballpark: $175 per 1 mb).  I'm expecting to outgrow whatever size SSD I buy. 

Speaking of which:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sony-releases-aftermarket-ps5-ssd-under-the-nextorage-brand

Nextorage, a Sony subsidiary, is releasing a high-end SSD for PS5.  No price or release date, but the specs look promising.  I'm assuming this is going to be considered an official, licensed product so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Edited by Eoae

The only game above… like, 80GBs I’ve *ever* downloaded was the Master Chief Collection, and that was, what, 5 games or something like that?

Where are you guys getting these absurdly large games? I thought it was just multi-game bundles, Call of Duty and things like Flight Simulator.

And FWIW, I have a 1TB SSD for my Series S that isn’t even close to being filled up, and a 4TB HDD for my PS5 that’s absolutely nowhere close to being full. Neither system’s internal storage is full either.

But I do have a data cap on my internet so I’m limited. If I didn’t… oh boy, yeah, they might be filled to the brim.

I don't remember exactly, but Microsoft Flight Sim and Red Dead Redemption 2 both take up 100-120 GB.  Call of Duty: Modern Warfare takes up a lot more than 100 GB (150-200).  Master Chief Collection install is about 140 GB.

Halo 5: Guardians, Gears of War 4, Forza 7 just barely miss the 100 GB barrier.  90+ for each of those games.

NBA 2K22 was a chunky baby.  Don't remember the file size but it was at least 85 or 90.  Might have been a little over 100 with update.

Dirt 5 is up there.  80 GB or thereabouts.  Forza Horizon 4 was pushing 70 or 80 with updates and dlc.

On my PS5, FF XV is 100 or so.  Last of US Part II is about 80, I think.  FF VII Remake Intergrade and Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (not Miles Morales, the remaster of the first game that was part of the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition) are 80 GB or so.  Spider-Man and FF7 Remake are actually smaller than they were on PS4, irrc.

There's a few shooters I don't own that take up about 100 GB.  Destiny 2, several of the Call of Duty games. etc.  There are occasionally articles about the largest games on various systems.  

Gran Turismo Sport also takes up close to 100 GB, but that's not on my hard drive anymore.

That said, most of my double and tripe-A titles are the 30-50 mb range.  And I play an awful lot of indie titles that are under 10-12 GB.  Often way under.

I think 40-60 will be the range for most current gen games, but 100 GB monsters areh't going away.

I came so close to rage quitting and uninstalling Deathloop last night. Backstory, I have a nearly 4 week old daughter, but she'll lay on me like a sloth at around 10 pm and I try at that time to give my wife a few hours head start on sleep. So I feel the time between 10 and 1 by watching TV and playing video games. Usually it's just an hour for video games, which sounds like the perfect amount for Deathloop.

So, Deathloop has a very infuriating thing to it in that there is no map and I have no idea where the fuck I'm going. I assume I'm still in the opening tutorial, kinda, and as I'm wandering around Updaam, I find a pile of junk to climb onto. That leads me to a rooftop, a foot bridge, and through a window into an apartment. It's apparently my apartment though? I don't know. Pretty sure it is. I go through the shit in the apartment and then this message pops up saying that I can move onto the next area if I want or I can keep exploring Updaam, but I'll keep coming backto Updaam so I may as well just go to the next area. I choose to do the latter like the game recommended, but, uh, I was still just stuck in my apartment. What's worse is that a bunch of bad guys were just milling around outside and I had zero lives left. If I died, I'm restarting. 

I cannot find a fucking way to go to the next area. I wind up leaving through a window, which just triggers a bunch of bad guys to swarm on me, and then I'm dead.

I come back to life and I'm at the next area with two more lives and now it's noon. Uh, what the fuck? Ok...That's not how I thought this worked, but whatever. I'm supposed to go to the control center. Having no map though and only a vague waypoint on screen just causes me to wander around more. I eventually wander around enough to find the control center, but there's also an armory. I choose the armory, which has a bunch of combat in it that seems impossible to get through without murdering everyone so stealth is pointless, I find an interesting battery puzzle, and I'm still just wandering around aimlessly not knowing what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing. At some point, when I'm in a warehouse, there's an area I enter underneath a metal platform and I get stuck. Just totally stuck. I can't escape. Along the way I had actually found a bunch of trinket things or whatever for guns that I think lets me spawn with those guns. There is literally no way out for me though. It's just a broken part of the map. So I have to go back to the main menu and start all over.

I lose...everything. I start back out in the next area and it's still noon, but I don't have any of the shit I thought I would have wound up keeping. I had wasted an hour and a half doing nothing, being as clueless as ever, and I made zero progress. And then my kid woke up. What's worse is that I'm even more confused because everything I read said that you can go to whatever area you choose and you're in control of when the day progresses, except it automatically moved me to noon, it moved me to the next area without being able to go back to Updaam, and I feel like I should just start the whole game over.

This game not having any kind of map or overworld is really frustrating. It made me start thinking about how I would even attempt to beat the game if all I'm relying on is memory for where everything is because my memory these days is totally shot.

And yet, I still have a drive to go back and play it some more.

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII on Steam for the first time, and it's been a few to several years since I played the game at all (I guess since Zodiac Age came out for PS4?), and wow I had forgotten how easy it was, even early on, to suddenly lose 2 1/2 hours of time. Grinding hunts and stuff early on really makes a difference.

Going back to the storage stuff, looking at the games I have installed, the PS5 version of Destiny 2 (with a couple expansions) is almost 76GB, Madden 22 is 60GB, NBA2k21 is the chunky boi at 119 GB. I agree with the group that if you have the money, go for the extra storage.