DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Downloaded DOOM (2016) and that's pretty fun. Seems like the framerate definitely isn't 30fps, but it's also a lot smoother than 60.. but it's not optimized for Series S/X like Eternal is. And I don't think the S does the boost like the X does, right? Did this game get a 120fps upgrade and I just don't know about it? Either way, I play this game in bursts (one level, quit, do something else, come back to it) because the darkness > then everything is mostly red hurts my eyes.

S does support FPS Boost.  Most (about 90%)  of the games that have gotten FPS Boost so far get the higher frame rate on S or X.  A few games are boosted, but not as much as the Series X (frame rate is boosted to 60 fps on Series S, 120 fps on Series X).

That said, Doom hasn't gotten the Boost treatment.  It hasn't been optimized for Series S/X either, as far as I know.  So.. I dunno.

Humankind is really interesting, the choose a civ every era helps you change strategies as needed between eras.

Between that, the new Pathfinder game dropping today, and FM etcetera, I don't have time to play anything else without cloning myself (well, MLBtheShow21 too.. but.. that's the ABSOLUTE limit)

On 8/27/2021 at 5:45 PM, twiztor said:

Last summer i beat the original Metroid (NES), Metroid 2 (GB), and Super Metroid (SNES). they were all awesome.

Today, largely due to the recent announcement of Metroid 5: Dread, i finished Metroid 4: Fusion (game boy advance). this was awesome, too, if a bit too linear for my taste. some of the later bosses were frustratingly difficult. i finished with a pathetic 51% of items found. probably won't go back for what i missed.

Likely will jump into either Metroid Prime or Zero Mission. the FPS style of Prime isn't my favorite, but we'll see.

decided to go with Zero Mission. finished it up today. not as impressive as you might think, as it turns out i had a save file on there. I bought the game brand new back when it was brand new- actually it and Metroid Fusion were the two games i bought when i picked up a GameBoy Advance. actually, funny story: i was debating whether to grab a GBA or a Game Boy Player that attaches to the GameCube, and i had 100% decided to go with the Game Boy Player. Then, i show up at the store (i wanna say it was an Electronics Boutique by that point) and they had the GBA with the NES skin. Changed my mind on the spot, picked up it and the two aforementioned Metroid games. Turned out to be a wise choice as i still have that GBA but sold my GC a couple years later. Anyway, apparently way back when i had made it through most of the Metroid Zero Mission game. I popped it in earlier this week just to see where i was at, and it was the ending sequence of the OG Metroid. i finished that, just for fun, intending to start over to "really" count it. But then at what would have been the end, the titular "Zero" mission begins, so i feel like it counts since i beat the new content. 

tl;dr i beat Metroid: Zero Mission today. and i take a rambling walk down memory lane.

P.S. i got a notification that Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 shipped today. Try to bum rush Metroid Prime or take a break for a week until BS shows up?

Since some jerk in here was talking about Stardew Valley, guess who started a new game of Stardew Valley? Its me. I hadn't played in about three years and new things have been added to it I think. Anyway, I am in the summer of the second year, this is my farm. I don't like to use planners or guides online for farm layout. I occasionally google something like where to find a certain fish so I don't drive myself crazy, but farm layout is just kinda.... free flowing. But its cute, I like it so far. I have a "hay" problem I am working out, otherwise the money is flowing from the melons and corn.

2cNwitX.jpg

• Like 2

So, you dudes who are thinking about playing Mafia 3.  I have just come across a game breaking glitch.   If you are on your second playthough and have completed the story missions for Sign of the Times, you will get to the point where Lincoln goes to pick up his aunt so that he can begin renovations of the ruined nightclub he uses for his base of operations (if you don't have SotT installed, you can't fix up the nightclub).

Once you arrive at the bar, you'd normally talk to your aunt in the downstairs area of the bar to begin gutting the nightclub.  if you are on your second playthrough, your aunt will sometimes spawn upstairs and that will make her inaccessible because there is no upstairs until you begin renovations.  

2K has not show interest in fixing any of the bugs that still infest the game.  I'm going to try to uninstall / reinstall and if that doesn't work, I'm uninstalling for good and finally starting my legit 2077 playthrough.

While the game is installing, I am off to the movies to go see Shang-Chi.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Since some jerk in here was talking about Stardew Valley, guess who started a new game of Stardew Valley? Its me. I hadn't played in about three years and new things have been added to it I think. Anyway, I am in the summer of the second year, this is my farm. I don't like to use planners or guides online for farm layout. I occasionally google something like where to find a certain fish so I don't drive myself crazy, but farm layout is just kinda.... free flowing. But its cute, I like it so far. I have a "hay" problem I am working out, otherwise the money is flowing from the melons and corn.

2cNwitX.jpg

I got this game on Steam, but could never get into it.  I'm not even sure why, because it seems right up my alley.  I get lost, end up having to spend the night outside, and never know what to do.  I still want to give it another shot, because I know I'll love it once I understand all of the mechanics.  Maybe I'll try again this weekend since I have the free time.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I got this game on Steam, but could never get into it.  I'm not even sure why, because it seems right up my alley.  I get lost, end up having to spend the night outside, and never know what to do.  I still want to give it another shot, because I know I'll love it once I understand all of the mechanics.  Maybe I'll try again this weekend since I have the free time.

Its an interesting game in that it doesn't really "help" much, so even though on one hand its simple, its also pretty deep at the same time with a real "learn as you go" feel. I jokingly call it a "fun version of Animal Crossing." All I can say really is to start slow, that picture is year 2, year 1 was basically doing basic crop and mining stuff so I could get money to build the barn and coop. I didn't even fully explore things and I don't care if the town people like me yet (except the girl I am going to wife of course). I wish I had a picture of my farm after the second season as it was drastically smaller.

That being said, there are probably 2494 "beginner tip" type guides that wouldn't spoil major details but would nudge new players in the right direction, I'd recommend it as it may quickly connect some dots for anyone interested in playing it and make the early game less frustrating.

Well, uninstall / reinstall did not work.  Older threads say that it's a problem with the way Mafia 3 overlays saves so the recommendation for replays is to wipe the previous save (local and cloud copies so there is no file synch) before starting a new game.  Wish I'd known that ahead of time.  

I'm going to start another replay since I think the kill tracker achievements for takedowns are still being counted .   If the game mucks up again by the time I'm ready for the renovations part of Sign Of The Times, it's the permanent uninstall.

Edited by J.T.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:11 AM, SirFozzie said:

Humankind is really interesting, the choose a civ every era helps you change strategies as needed between eras.

Yeah, I'm visiting a brother with a Windows PC and got to try it out this weekend. The civ selection process was a big plus right out of the gate, as having to select your civ before you see your starting position had long been one of my pet peeves with the Sid Meier's series.

One thing I don't like is the voiceovers. They all come across to me as somebody trying to be clever and failing.

• Like 2

Finished off Star Wars Republic Commando last week (still a fun game even with your squadmates glitching on object every so often) and I'm debating my next game, I downloaded FF15 since it was free with the PS5, but the Demons Soul remake looks intriguing. 

Got my 225th Platinum trophy with Horizon: Zero Dawn. HOLY CRAP what an ending. Great great game. The gameplay didn't grab me at first but it got me hooked.

I then completed the training tutorial for Hardware Rivals to earn my 226th Platinum trophy. The servers are shutting down on December 8th, 2021; the online 'community' for this game is utter trash and very toxic.

Later today, I got my 227th Platinum trophy with Midnight Deluxe for PS4.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 3

I'm nearly to the point where I encountered the game breaker bug in Mafia III.   I'm also transitioning into exploiting the covert entries for some of the missions rather than getting into rampaging gunfights.   I have found underground entrances into a couple of the crime boss strongholds that would've saved precious time if I had bothered to look for them before.

It finally occurred to me that the best way to finish The Connection to Cuba mission is to avoid the entrance to the docks where the cargo ship is berthed and just swim all away around the mooring (or take a boat) to infiltrate the ship and then take the same water route to escape.  I didn't try to swim before because the game has a death clock feature where if you stay in the water for too long in some parts of the map, alligators will come to eat you.  However, the last time I did that Cuba mission, I was able to escape the enemy ambush at the end of the mission by jumping into the water as soon as I got off of the ship and swam to safety.

Then I was like, "If I can get away safely via water, maybe I can get to the ship safely by the same route?" and yep, it worked.

Finally started up a game of Humankind now that it's a full release. I think it beats out Civilization in every way aside from immersion. They add in nice little videos for wonders and the like, more CPU avatars, and a few other polishes and I think it cooks Civ entirely. Great game but I'm having to play on second easiest difficulty to do well for now.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:26 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

As the jerk who was talking about Stardew Valley, I happily welcome you back into the fold.  If you haven't played in 3 years, there's a LOT new that's been added.  Lots of quality of life improvements along with tons of new content.  If you haven't already, I recommend getting a barn full of cows and cheese makers.  Cheese is the perfect item - nearly every resident likes getting it as a gift, it's decent money if you sell it, it restores a ton of energy & health when you're mining, and it requires very little effort to obtain.

@Supremebve - it's really easy to get overwhelmed by the incredible amount of freedom and choice in Stardew.  If you're just starting out and wanting to just get going, I recommend strictly focusing on getting your farm free of debris and getting a few crops planted.  The important thing to remember is that you cannot screw yourself completely.  Absolutely everything has multiple chances to be done and you cannot die.  

I thought my collector's phase had reached a terminal point, but I managed to find more shit to covet. The harsh, weird spike in classic game prices that happened in April took a lot of my higher-end games off the wishlist, so I've been picking up a lot of cheapies. Props to the wonderful Play Raven in Eldersburg, MD - I have no idea why anybody would ever be in that part of America, but if you ever are, go. They have not charged me for any games <$10 I have grabbed off the wall the last three times I was there - no, I don't think this is some sort of deal they're running and I wouldn't ever be so impolite as to ask them about it. They're just fuckin' hooking it up. This includes BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend for PS3 and Splashdown, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Blood Wake, Crimson Skies, and Kelly Slater: Pro Surfer for OG XBOX.

Speaking of XBOX I'm chipping away at Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds, which I picked up because it seemed like the perfect retro value find. Clearly underrated upon release because it wasn't the MtG-on-Xbox-Live game people wanted, still sold well enough to not be rare, hopelessly Western and therefore not being tracked down by weeby collectors, and on a console that would be the best value collection-wise if not for the existence of the 360. The gameplay is a weird but cohesive mixture of RTS, deckbuilding, and dodgeball. You're in an arena with a line down the middle. You cast creatures that auto-attack along with spells and enchantments, running around to collect mana and occasionally bonk a baddie yourself. I only played MtG for a couple of years when my old girlfriend forced me to (never lost to her, ever, maybe that's where we went wrong) and I think that's who this game was unfortunately tailored to - people who knew the rules but weren't diehards. Not sure how this game played on Live back in the day but the story mode is a fun collection of quasi-puzzles based on whatever new card you get. Very much worth the ten bucks I spent.

Maybe you're into that Ghosts of Tsushima thang, and if you are, hey, Rocket: Robot on Wheels exists! It's the first game developed by Sucker Punch, and it doesn't even feel like a dry run for the Sly Cooper games that came after, it's very much its own thing. As far as straight-up gameplay is concerned this might be the second-best platformer on the system next to Mario 64. Really advanced physics on this one, a lot of gameplay variety without feeling too fetch-questy. Not as charming with the characters, levels, or music as something like Banjo-Kazooie, but the meat & potatoes are hearty.

I got drunk and bought a Wii U because my good dudes at Re:Gen moved their store from White Marsh Mall over to the Towson Town Center and because I heard that Monolith Soft asked Nintendo if they could port Xenoblade Chronicles X to the Switch and got shut down on account of Xenoblade 3 & BotW 2 being the priority. So before that price gets absolutely ignorant, I picked it up and played the first two hours. It's obvious that they tried to cater to a more western audience with this one and eeeehhh, it's gonna take some work for me to give a shit about saving Space Los Angeles. But everybody that's played X seems to love it so I'll let it sink its teeth in when I have the time. Also grabbed the Wind Waker remake (they fixed the Triforce quest bullshit?!), Wonderful 101 (way better than the Switch version?), the absolute development tragedy/legend-killing Rodea: The Sky Soldier (with the good Wii version included). I've got my eye out for games that happen to have their best versions on Wii U like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, maybe Batman: Arkham City but all I've been playing on the damn thing is Kuru Kuru Kururin. A fuckin' GBA launch title that Europe got instead of us, but we have it on the Wii U eShop - you're a slowly-turning set of helicopter blades and you can't bump into the sides of the stage. You just gotta wiggle-wiggle you way to the goal. It's perfect, absolutely brilliant, astoundingly fair and frustrating. I love it. I hate it. Look it up

Edited by John E. Dynamite

12 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

my good dudes at Re:Gen moved their store from White Marsh Mall over to the Towson Town Center

I had no idea they moved to Towson Town.  I hope it means a bigger store as it got pretty squishy when a few people would be in there.  I'll have to check it out next time I go there.  Having them and Round 1 in one place is gonna take me back to the early 00's back when arcades weren't fully shunned and there was a non-Gamestop store you could walk to.  All they need is an anime store and the nostalgia is complete.

GameStop is redrafting its mission statement.  The company says it is “evolving” beyond games and will become a “more general technology company”.

I don’t really see this going well.  Also, when did Funko pops and Hot Topic t-shirts get reclassified as technology?