DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Holy fuck.  The Mafia 3:  Sign of the Times DLC storyline just broke my heart.   I haven't been this ready to seek righteous bloody vengeance against a game boss since Uldren Sov or Golbez. 

Every member of this fucking blood cult will die.   Yes, they will.  I am the one who knocks.  The man that carries Mr. Death in his pocket.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I have balanced all earthly accounts.  The boss fight was a bit easier than I expected it to be, but what did some racist entitled Southern belle blood cult leader have against a former black ops death merchant of mixed parentage?  Throwing knives, mother fuckers!

The final cut scene was really fucking sad and I was spiraling towards depression, so the game decided to cheer me up and reveal that this is the DLC that allows you to renovate the ruined bar that you use as a base of operations!  Fuck yeah! 

The initial $20K investment hurt my wallet a bit, but at least now I am no longer sleeping in the basement of an abandoned and structurally unstable building.  Now I need to go back out into the city and shake down more rackets to pay for more improvements, starting with the Mob held waste management racket that is in the same district where I recently took over the gun running business.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On my 50th escape attempt I successfully finished my first run of Hades and am looking forward to playing more and more. I'm happy I have at least one escape in the bag because I'm all in on Ghost of Tsushima DLC tomorrow. Disco Elysium continues to wait in the shadows.

• Like 3

As I remain years behind everyone else on video games and begin my umpteenth playthrough of Fallout 4, I find myself using the Scrap Everything mod in Sanctuary for 2 hours and wondering: The people in this alternate timeline could invent invisible robots, plasma rifles, teleportation, and miniaturized nuclear reactors, but they couldn't invent a fucking Swiffer Wet Jet?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

So apparently Humankind came out a couple of days ago. No reviews from the Windows crowd?

I loved the alpha i played months ago but haven't had a chance to play the full game. Hoping to next week. While I like the general idea of where they've gone with it, I understand and agree with the idea that there's a lack of identity by combining a bunch of different cultures throughout the eras. Leaders are super generic and modeled after streamers, at least they were in the alpha. I stuck with the Zhou for the duration of my run. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

On my 50th escape attempt I successfully finished my first run of Hades and am looking forward to playing more and more. I'm happy I have at least one escape in the bag because I'm all in on Ghost of Tsushima DLC tomorrow. Disco Elysium continues to wait in the shadows.

I got lucky and got a rare weekend off, so I may not be seen or heard from after work today once Iki Island is downloaded.

11 hours ago, Contentious C said:

As I remain years behind everyone else on video games and begin my umpteenth playthrough of Fallout 4, I find myself using the Scrap Everything mod in Sanctuary for 2 hours and wondering: The people in this alternate timeline could invent invisible robots, plasma rifles, teleportation, and miniaturized nuclear reactors, but they couldn't invent a fucking Swiffer Wet Jet?

They have Vertibirds and working motor boats but no cars, motorcycles, etc. 

Played a fair bit of Twelve Minutes last night/early this morning.  Really liking it.  Hard concept to pull off (it's a murder mystery with a time loop entirely set in a tiny one bedroom apartment), but it's very interesting.  Seems to be getting more of a promotion push than your typical indy game, so I'm hoping it breaks out.  Voice cast does an outstanding job.  

Going to start Tsushima Director's Cut after I finish Twelve Minutes.  They've made it very easy to import your PS4 save, but I'll probably just start over from scratch.  New content looks interesting and is reviewing well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

They have Vertibirds and working motor boats but no cars, motorcycles, etc. 

There are working cars in the New California Republic, according to game lore, NPC dialogue and in-game locations.

Thinking about this since the new games thread had a post about another Skyrim re-release, what older games do you think would have kept getting released over and over if the developers kept making new-ish content for it? Assuming we're not talking about sports games which get updated because the nature of the genre. Maybe the old Final Fantasy games?

Finished Twelve Minutes and really enjoyed it.  Even after my first session with it, I had doubts about the game holding together until the closing credits.  Writer/director/designer Luís António took chances with almost everything he did.  The timeloop is hard enough to pull of on its own.  Setting almost all of the game in the same room, and only showing that room from the top down was a risk in and of itself.  Keeping the game confined to a very small cast also could have backfired.  Looking at everything from above made me feel like I was playing with a dollhouse and I wasn't sure I would connect with characters who are basically faceless (you mostly see the tops of their heads).

I honestly expected to get lost and frustrated at some point.  The game doesn't hold your hand or give you a lot of guidance on how to proceed.  There were a number of times I wasn't sure if I was poking into something that would advance the story and potentially break the time loop, or I was just off the reservation and planning to spend the next couple loops poking around in cabinets for no reason.  I'm fairly certain I got way off track at one point, but the game guided me back to forward progress without me overtly realizing it.  Or maybe I was just lucky.  Not sure.

I completely did not anticipate where the story was going.  The plot gets rather weird by the end, but the writing was strong and I was hooked by the time I started guessing about the more outlandish turns.  Even late in the game when I had pieced some of the story together and had a lot of - fairly accurate - theories about the final resolution, I still didn't anticipate the plot twist.

I don't tend to get to wrapped up in games, so plot twists don't shock me, jump scares don't scare me, I don't get weepy, etc.  But, when I figured out the narrative's last twist, I blurted out "Holy Sh**" and just sat there stunned.  Then I figured out the choices for the main character were probably going to suck no matter what and I actually felt bad for him.

Voice acting is outstanding, but it's James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley, and Willem Dafoe, so no surprise there.  Never felt like any of the three were mailing it in or trying to chew scenery just because it's a game. 

Great game.  Glad Microsoft and Annapurna are giving it a heavy promo push.

• Like 1

When I'm not playing ME2, I'm playing Virtua Fighter 5. My main is Wolf Hawkfield, so I can do F5s and Burning Hammers and that. Beat a guy with a Giant Swing (going 2-1 up; It's first to three wins wins) and he rage quit.

I ended up buying the Season Pass for Valhalla because…fuck if I know. It’s more of that. I’m okay with that. I know others would not be. It’s hard to recommend because there’s already too much game in that game, but I am enjoying myself. 

Haven’t really dug into it too much, but I also got Death’s Door. Really like the visuals and the soundtrack is exceptional. It’s just Zelda-y enough to be comfortable and just Souls-y enough to be a challenge. Really digging it so far. 

My time with Isaac also continues. Only playing on Hard mode now. When this game decides to fuck you, it does so ruthlessly. Had a run yesterday where I had to skip 3 item rooms in a row because the game refused to give me any keys. Unsurprisingly, I lost that run soon after! Had I not been playing as Judas (extra starting damage), it would have ended much earlier. 

5 hours ago, Shane said:

I ended up buying the Season Pass for Valhalla because…fuck if I know. It’s more of that. I’m okay with that. I know others would not be. It’s hard to recommend because there’s already too much game in that game, but I am enjoying myself. 

Yeah, I fired Valhalla back up since I have teh Season Pass and the Paris raids have been released.  Lots of stuff added that I'm starting to screw with, just gotta get used to the combat again.

After much pain and sadness and rage, I have finally unlocked the achievements for all of the Mafia 3 driving stunts.  I just had to find a place to pull off a 5 second drift turn without killing anyone, colliding into another vehicle, or sending my vehicle into the muddy bayou water.

The stunt jump achievement was actually kinda fun despite the shitty driving mechanics.   I found a restaurant whose Swiss style roof made for the perfect ramp.  I thought I was going to land on a pedestrian but he dove out of the way at the last moment.

Now to get back to the Klan killin'.

Edited by J.T.