DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Does everyone know that Forza Motorsport 7 and it's dlc is being delisted next month?

I apparently missed the announcement.  Only realized it this morning.

If anyone is still interested, all versions of Forza 7 are 75% off in the Xbox eshop this week.  The Ultimate Edition is $20 and includes all but one paid dlc pack.    

I've been meaning to pick up 7 since I got my Series X but kept putting it off, so I'm d/l it tonight.

I have killed two redneck pimps exploiting black hookers and stolen a pickup truck with a Confederate flag on the bed guard.  This may be the greatest game I have ever played.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I have killed two redneck pimps exploiting black hookers and stolen a pickup truck with a Confederate flag on the bed guard.  This may be the greatest game I have ever played.

I hope the horn played Dixie.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Who's gonna tell JT that he's already hit the peak of the game?

• Haha 1

Mafia 3 is set in a strange alternate reality where The Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revival were still really big, but nobody in the world listened to The Beatles ever.

You know that thing where you're driving to a place, and then when you get there you stop and don't do the thing you came there to do right away, because you're waiting for the song to finish? Happened to me during Mafia 3. 96 Tears by  ? and the Mysterians.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Mafia 3 is set in a strange alternate reality where The Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revival were still really big, but nobody in the world listened to The Beatles ever.

It's a regional thing, I suppose.  CCR played a lot of swamp rock so it's perfect for the setting and so far the only Stones tune I've heard is Paint It Black which is in just about every movie I've ever seen with anything related to Vietnam.  I like how the game handwaves my gamer killing skills away with all of the talk about Lincoln Clay being a black bag hatchet man for Project Phoenix while during WW Nam.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Well I'm about to go after my first Dixie mafia capo.  Clapped both of his enforcers hardcore.  I hit one poor bastard in a junkyard that was the cover for some heroin distribution site.  I had a sniper rifle and he had the misfortune to take cover near a large propane tank, so that went about as well for him as you might expect.

I had to steal a police car to make my getaway as the fucking rednecks molotoved the goddamn muscle car I had stolen not twenty minutes ago.  It was sooo pretty and had a mean green machine paintjob.   It blew up.  I was sad.   This asshole crime boss will die painfully for that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

As you get further in the game, you can have good cars delivered, so I never really bothered stealing any.

I liked Mafia III even though it gets repetitive and and easy because you get waaaaay overpowered.  It does lead to some fun times.  There is one mission where you go to klan rally and there was literally a pile of bodies afterwards.

As for the soundtrack, Beatles songs are super expensive to license.  Also like JT said, Vietnam vets and the setting aren't really fitting for the music IMO.

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

As you get further in the game, you can have good cars delivered, so I never really bothered stealing any.

I can get weapons and ammo delivered to me right now and my new partner in crime has arranged for an accountant to come and deliver my funds to the stash so that I can avoid the death tax whenever I am killed.

I'm a little depressed because I have all but exterminated the Dixie mafia and now I am battling some generic business suit wearing mooks for control of the docks.  My Haitian homegirl runs the mostly black part of the city and I now have a ganja running operation that generates money for me.

If you told me that there would be a game where I had to use stealth mechanics to avoid racism, I'd say you were crazy but here we are. The next set of story missions take part in a predominantly white part of the city, so I have to use stealth and creative entry to nab the collectables found in Whites Only businesses otherwise the proprietor will call the cops on me.  Just walking in the store is grounds for loitering / trespassing. 

Mafia 3 is fucking crazy.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I can get weapons and ammo delivered to me right now and my new partner in crime has arranged for an accountant to come and deliver my funds to the stash so that I can avoid the death tax whenever I am killed.

I'm a little depressed because I have all but exterminated the Dixie mafia and now I am battling some generic business suit wearing mooks for control of the docks.  My Haitian homegirl runs the mostly black part of the city and I now have a ganja running operation that generates money for me.

If you told me that there would be a game where I had to use stealth mechanics to avoid racism, I'd say you were crazy but here we are. The next set of story missions take part in a predominantly white part of the city, so I have to use stealth and creative entry to nab the collectables found in Whites Only businesses otherwise the proprietor will call the cops on me.  Just walking in the store is grounds for loitering / trespassing. 

Mafia 3 is fucking crazy.

It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC in the stores, there is usually a back door you can use to go in.  At some point, I just didn't give a damn.  I'd go in, get the collectible and then knockout/kill the shop owner and steal their register/safe for kicks.

• Haha 1

Well, fuck.  My next boss kill mission was a fucking vehicle chase.   Driving in this game is infuriating and I always manage to forget to use my slo-mo.  Eventually PITed the asshole's car after several do-overs and now he's feeding the fish.  District secured.  My criminal empire grows ever stronger.

I now have a female Cuban lieutenant who is in charge of smuggling operation and works with the Italian underboss I have put in charge of the dock district.  She is a real hard-ass like the Haitian I have running the ganja operation back in Delray Hollow.  I hope these folk's attitudes improve a bit, otherwise there will be some pink slips handed out and by pink slips I mean fucking bullets to the dome.

I also got an achievement for getting eaten by an alligator while I was out hunting for collectables.

I approve of the brutal manner in which Lincoln Clay disposes of rival mob captains, but it is also kinda sad since he is on a path of revenge and seems like he's a pretty lonely guy.  He does not have the sadistic glee that the Boss from Saint's Row 2 has, but he did seem rather satisfied when he lynched the leader of the Dixie mafia from a Ferris Wheel.

I hate how the achievements in this game assume that you will play it a second time and not dump it.  One achievement unlocks if you recruit all of the enemy underbosses.  This helps you earn more money over time.  Another achievement unlocks if you kill all of the enemy underbosses for quick payouts.   Naturally if you spare or kill an underboss, you've set yourself on one particular course of action.

I did manage to unlock the achievement for busting up a racket without killing any enforces..  That just puts the enforcers at the last enemy racket stronghold before you take out the boss that runs the region

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now I'm working with the Irish....  I figured that sooner or later I'd have to take over that most cliche of gangster operations, a meat packing plant, and here we are.

Not surprising, the Irish are also trying take over the local illegal booze operation because alcohol.

I'm not happy about the game deciding to place collection items inside police stations.  I already figured out that the Vargas paintings are usually located inside enemy strongholds since the captions say that the paintings are gifts from the mob boss I'm trying to bring down.  However it kinda sucks to generate an insane wanted level after some asshole cop gets too curious and I have to shiv his punk ass (FRUITVALE STATION, MOTHER FUCKERS~!!) while in pursuit of one of the transistor widgets, an album cover, or an edition of Playboy.

I don't really mind getting killed as long as my wallet is empty when I die.  Not trying to pay the resurrection tax with half of the funds on my person.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I probably need to do Mafia III after reading about JT's exploits with it as well.

The gameplay is pretty repetitive and the story is somewhat passable.  I am just enjoying the free roam insanity of murdering racist yokels in Civil Rights era USA.

I can finally upgrade cars now.  My jet black go to muscle car is pimped out as much as I can afford and unfortunately it looks like I will have to participate in some races to unlock more upgrades.  Driving mechanics in this game are pretty wonky so I will probably hate racing. 

It's bad enough that some rackets involve vehicle chases and rewards for intercepting enemy vehicles in the middle of deliveries or other criminal ventures.

Games I've played lately-ish:

Microsoft Flight Simulator - great stuff.  Will be in my regular rotation for quite a while.  It's a marvel how well this looks and runs on both Series X AND S.  Very relaxing, zen game, so if you need goals, missions, structure, etc., you may get bored.  Seems like a missed opportunity that there aren't a lot of good flight sticks available for Xbox.  The ones out now haven't reviewed well and the official flight sticks haven't been released yet.  Planning to buy the $350 Turtle Beach controller when it becomes available (Fall, hopefully).

Omno - really enjoyed this.  Zen exploration game very reminiscent of Journey.  Beautiful art style.  If you enjoy games like Journey, Rime, Sky: Children of the Light, I'd highly recommend this.  Visual aesthetic reminds me a lot of Sky.  

The Ascent - highly recommended.  Top down cyberpunk twin-stick shooter with rpg elements.  Basically, it's Alienation or Ruiner mixed with some Diablo.  Had a lot of fun with it.  Visuals looked great,

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition - was legit thrilled to stumble across this.  it was removed from Xbox and PS3 estores years ago and I thought it was delisted on all platforms.  Didn't do my research.  Stumbled across it while looking at the Backwards Compatible section on Series X.  Still silly, still fun.  

Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights - 2d dark fantasy action rpg with a muted color palette that reminded me of Inside or a number of other games.  Rather good, but not outstanding.  Story was kinda interesting and I enjoyed the boss battles, but, on the whole, i feel like I've played this game a number of times before and Ender Lillies didn't do enough to stand out  for me.

Spec-Ops the Line: Another "outside the box" Xbox 360 shooter.  Really liked tihs one, but can see why it didn't catch on.  Story echoes Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now too much to be coincidence I don't know that gamers want to think too much about shades of gray or the moral complexities of war.

My crowning achievement in Mafia III may be entering a No Coloreds Allowed store, having the proprietor walk up to me and say "This store is for whites only, boy," punching him in the stomach, stuffing him in the trunk a car for an achievement, robbing the place, and then driving off.

Or it may be using one of my screaming voodoo doll distraction gimmicks to draw a large crowd of enemies together and then lighting them all on fire with a Molotov.

I have assembled all of my underbosses and they all hate each other.  This should be fun..  like picking at a scab fun...

and racing is available...  yay..... or not....

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Won my first race, but I don't think it was designed to be lost unless you tried to compete in an unmodified car.  I'm five full seconds behind the track record (you need to break time trial records to unlock special paint jobs for your cars..) so I obviously need to unlock a faster base car during a mission or something so that I can mod it into a monster.

I'm starting to get loyalty missions from my crew.

The first one had me stealing cars for the IRA for my Irish underboss.  I thought the game was putting me into a plot to bang his daughter (the lieutenant that runs the illegal booze business for me) but it turns out she's a lesbian and my underboss is painfully Catholic as well as Irish.  My character dude sounded accepting and protective of her (her brother gets killed in your first big heist at the start of the game) but basically I think he only really cares that the money keeps coming in.

Now I am off to start running guns to my Haitian peeps.   A villain's work is never done.

Edited by J.T.

So..  while I was away taking over more territory it seems as though some Cajun blood cult holding a ritual out of the ruined bar that serves as one of my safehouses.   I think I accidentally stumbled onto one of the DLC adventures but that's okay because there are some detective elements in it that are pretty cool.

First redneck gunrunners and now a cabal of bayou hillbilly occultists.  The gameplay may be repetitive but at least the stories are interesting.

Edited by J.T.

So yeah.  This Sign of the Times  DLC is some straight up Detective Comics shit.  I infiltrated some beatnick invite only nightclub and found myself in the basement using a black light to investigate the strange goings on.

The leader of the cult tried to gas me in the basement of some invite only nightclub in the city.  I am not sure if I was hallucinating or if there is some spectral shit going on.  In proper Batman villain SOP, she fled and left her trippin' on acid minions to deal with me.  It did not help my jangled nerves that creepy Inagodadavida by Iron Butterfly was playing in the background.

Apparently Lincoln Clay IS the kind of guy that would hit a woman if she happened to attack him with a knife.

Speaking of knives, the DLC has introduced throwing knives into my arsenal.  Sweet, sweet whistling blades of silent death.  I love them so much,

This is turning out to be a nice interlude to the main story.

I am really shitty at scoring Brutal Takedowns.

Edited by J.T.