DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

The wife and I played through it recently and then immediately dug out the PS3 to play Katamari Forever again.

I'm hoping that at some point they give We ? Katamari the re-release treatment but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

The wife and I played through it recently and then immediately dug out the PS3 to play Katamari Forever again.

I'm hoping that at some point they give We ? Katamari the re-release treatment but I'm not holding my breath.

I really enjoyed Katamari Forever.  Annoying that Beautiful Katamari isn't backwards compatible on Xbox.  Also quite liked ReRoll, though I probably play the original more (It's available for PS3 as a PS2 Classic).

9 hours ago, Casey said:

apparently my Dad just has a bunch of SSD external harddrives laying around (?!?) so I grabbed a 1TB version from him

Can Pops hook me up? ?

• Haha 1

I've been moving games  around on my Series X and that works pretty well for me so far.  Basically, almost everything installs to a 8 GB external hard drive.  A couple large games (Flight Simulator and Master Chief Collection) are sitting on the Series X expansion card.  The console's internal storage is reserved for whatever I'm playing at the moment.  I move games from the external drive to the console, then move them back when I'm done.  

When I run short on space, I'll probably look at external SSD drives.  When I bought the external drive, i wasn't completely sure more than one external drive would be supported.  And since I had a huge X360 library and a lot of XOne games on my want list, opting for a larger drive with more space seemed logical and made more financial sense.  I paid less for an 8 GB Seagate Game Hub than i did for the 1 GB SSD expansion card.  Also, the Game Hub has several USB ports so I should be able to plug external drives into it if I run out of space and USB ports. 

I am hoping they eventually make a SSD expansion card larger than 1 GB.  I know that's cost prohibitive, but I'd like to see at least 2 TB cards/

20 hours ago, Liam said:

That is basically what I need to do.

A few tips:

1) Keep one of absolutely everything you mine, forage, chop down, grow, etc.  You should never donate to the museum the first of anything you get.  EVER.  Pretty much every item has usage with something else.  

2) Buy a silo before any other building.

3) Buy a barn and put cows in there.  And then get some cheese makers.  Cheese is the best item in the game (IMHO).  It costs absolutely nothing to make (just the milk you collect from cows every day).  It regenerates a huge amount of energy.  It sells for a lot.  And it's liked by almost every town resident so it's an incredibly easy gift to give.  I carry a bunch of cheese on me all the time.

4) Make a lava eel fish pond.  

5) Don't put good fish in your refrigerators.  Put them in chests.  There are a bunch of recipes that use "any fish" - if you've got a good fish in your fridge, guess what could get used by one of those "any fish" recipes?  Yeah, you don't want that.

6) Have fun!

• Like 1

Geez, for a game that sounds simple on its surface, it can get very complex. I still can't get my garden in order and get to growing things on a larger scale. Plus, as IRL, I'm striking out with the ladies. Gotta hurry up and get me some cheese.

Now I want to go back and play it again. I remember it as a game that it took me a week or two to get comfortable with the mechanics but I just took it slow since there is no rush to anything, and eventually everything clicked and I had a rhythm going. Eventually finished the community center tasks, had a wife, a full self-watering crop setup. Good times.

1 hour ago, jstout said:

Geez, for a game that sounds simple on its surface, it can get very complex. I still can't get my garden in order and get to growing things on a larger scale. Plus, as IRL, I'm striking out with the ladies. Gotta hurry up and get me some cheese.

Until you get sprinklers, don't worry about having a big crop. 

• Thanks 1

Jumped right into the PS4 version of The Pathless and got the plat in two vacation days. Really beautiful game, glad I've experienced it twice in a row. Figured I'd go with another pretty, short game after and spent three days getting the plat in Concrete Genie. VERY pretty game with serious "indy Pixar competitor" cinematic vibes, plus the gameplay completely changes halfway through - in a good way! Not sure what's next... Maybe Control, maybe Subnautica...

• Like 1

I am just now playing The Darkness (PS3, 2007) and after killing several mobsters with the Hell Eels that I summon from my body, I sat down with the player character's (likely doomed) girlfriend to watch TV. The entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird started playing. I don't know what to do, the game is fine but it's not as good as To Kill a Freakin' Mockingbird.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Ori & the Blind Forest is a fantastic little game, and really pretty, but goddamn do I hate the climbing mechanic.

Katana Zero is REALLY fun and often times frustrating, but it's a good kind of frustrating. I'm currently stuck on one of the floors in Studio 51. I know it's not the Chapel of Doom or Quiet Hills, but I can't remember the name. Anyway, I first saw this game on Funhaus like, last year, so to be able to finally try it is great.

I bought Valhalla because it was on sale and it's definitely more AssCreed.  The combat feels a little tighter than Odyssey and so far I like the characters better so hopefully i can stick with this one.  I prefer the levelling from the Odyssey, though, where every skill point gave you some kind of new or improved ability instead of the "+3% to murder" nodes in Valhalla.

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Did we already discus PAC Man 99 on the switch? 

It was touched on many pages ago.

I played it quite a bit when it was new, but the thing about these "Battle Royale" version classic games like this is the fact that the game is not at all like the original.

In strategy, I mean.

There's little to no instruction to tell you what's going on, so you have to have a real love for the game to struggle through.

I guess the gaters would say to "git gud".

I've been a Pac Man lover since the early days popping quarters into the cabinets in local markets.

After I got my sole survivor win or whatever it is called in '99, I got my screenshot for confirmation and have played sparingly since.

I’ve been raving about the Dark Souls series since I’ve devoured all the games in the last 8 months, but I played through Dark Souls 2 (Scholar of the First Sin) recently and I have to rescind my comments about Dark Soups being hard for the sake of hard. I don’t think any of the other ones are, but this game suuuucks. I can see why it was the black sheep of the series, and it’s bizarre how it can feel so close to the other Souls games, but so much less fun. Definitely feels like a game made by a team that doesn’t understand why the Souls experience is so addicting. The amount of enemies they throw at you in certain areas is so cheap, and their aggro ranges are so large that there’s no way to run past anything. The bosses are pretty easy, but god forbid you lose to one you’re gonna have to kill so many enemies along the way to get back to them. The levels felt like slogs to get through, but the bosses are generally extremely slow with telegraphed offense, so you really don’t feel a sense of accomplishment when you beat them. The hit boxes are also really bad, and especially using a strength build with a heavy slow sword I can’t tell you how many times I raged from my sword not hitting someone or going where it’s supposed to go, and my enemy was able to take advantage of my vulnerability. There was one point in the game I really wanted to quit where my slow but strong sword wouldn’t stagger these really weak enemies they throw at you in enormous amounts, even on a one on one situation, I’d hit them, and by the time my attack was over they’d stunlock me (even with the strongest armor in the game) and kill me before I could get a second attack off. Ended up beating Fume Knight, the supposed hardest boss in the games, and just quit there knowing the rest wouldn’t be worth it. 

Anyway, don’t play this game. DS1 and 3 have some flaws but are well worth the effort it takes to get through them, and Bloodborne is a top 5 game of all time for me, so I was surprised at how much could go wrong here. For now I’ll probably play some palette cleansing relaxing games like Stardew Valley and wait for Elden Ring to come out.

Edited by A.M.B.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice also got a free update yesterday.  Now optimized for Xbox Series X, S.  Added ray tracing, three performance mode options, etc.  PS4/PS5 owners are out of luck.  Since Ninja Theory is owned by Microsoft now, the patch is for MS consoles only.  No PlayStation update planned.

FYI: I had a bit of a kerfluffle installing.  instead of downloading an add-on, the "update" downloaded the patched version of the entire game to a different drive than the original file.  So i had two versions of the game on the console, taking up an extra 14 gb of space.  All I needed to do was delete the older version of the game, but I didn't realize the update file was actually the complete version of the game until after I deleted both files and re-installed the game.

The Mafia III starting menu song is All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.  I am all in..

The game starts off in the spring of 1968  I imagine that while Lincoln Clay is cutting a bloody swath through Louisiana, my mom is trying to break it to my dad that the guest room will end up being a baby bed room by November.  Happy birthday to me!

Movement is a bit clunkier than I expected it to be and vehicle handling is pretty atrocious, but I am getting the hang of stealth and evasive driving.  I am still shit at using weapons while driving but that is nothing new.  I think that I enjoy avoiding detection by dumping bodies into the bayou for the gators a bit too much.

I can't free roam yet so I guess I am still doing the training missions.  

I found my first vintage Playboy magazine as well as a Vargas pin-up at my starter safehouse.  I am collecting late 60's nudie pics instead of shooting pigeons or collecting film reels?  I can live with that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Driving in the Mafia games have always been fuckin’ terrible. Even the remake of Mafia 1 still had bad controls for the driving.

In other news - Sam & Max Save the World Remastered out now on Xbox. Hell yeah motherfuckers.