DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of "Is anyone still playing...", did anyone stick with Biomutant?  I.... don't hate it.  Hell, I'd probably be one of its relatively few defenders.  There's lots wrong with it, from too many systems to a boring story to a general lack of polish, but I'm still having fun with it.  I'm not buzzing through it, but I still pick it up once or twice a week and play a bit.  I kinda want to see how it goes and how committed Experiment 101 is to it (fwiw, Experiment 101 is taking a break until August, so no new updates for awhile),  

It looks great, the world is interesting, the character creation tools are great, the monster designs hook me.  Etc.  I really enjoy just exploring the world, which isn’t something I usually do in games.  I tend to be more task-oriented.

i wouldn't want to overpraise Biomutant, but I find it to be a relaxing experience and I really dig the passion Experiment 101 obviously had for the project,  It's one of those "interesting, but definitely not great.  Maybe not good" games I fall into every so often and it will end up on my shelf alongside such favorites as El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and Asura's Wrath.  

it's been well worth my $60.  I'm kind of hoping it eventually gets a No Man's Sky-level makeover, but not quite expecting that.  The patches released so far have improved the game in a lot of areas, though.    

Edited by Eoae

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Speaking of "Is anyone still playing...", did anyone stick with Biomutant?  I.... don't hate it.  Hell, I'd probably be one of its relatively few defenders.  There's lots wrong with it, from too many systems to a boring story to a general lack of polish, but I'm still having fun with it.  I'm not buzzing through it, but I still pick it up once or twice a week and play a bit.  I kinda want to see how it goes and how committed Experiment 101 is to it (fwiw, Experiment 101 is taking a break until August, so no new updates for awhile),  

It looks great, the world is interesting, the character creation tools are great, the monster designs hook me.  Etc.  I really enjoy just exploring the world, which isn’t something I usually do in games.  I tend to be more task-oriented.

i wouldn't want to overpraise Biomutant, but I find it to be a relaxing experience and I really dig the passion Experiment 101 obviously had for the project,  It's one of those "interesting, but definitely not great.  Maybe not good" games I fall into every so often and it will end up on my shelf alongside such favorites as El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and Asura's Wrath.  

it's been well worth my $60.  I'm kind of hoping it eventually gets a No Man's Sky-level makeover, but not quite expecting that.  The patches released so far have improved the game in a lot of areas, though.    

I started it and got through the tutorial and a bit into the main story, but it didn't full grab me and I was distracted by Mass Effect. I didn't hate it though, and I am sure I will go back to it sooner or later, it just got pushed into the backlog due to other shinier objects being available. At my age I do better if I am only playing one game of a certain genre at a time or I get the buttons confused. Like I can play Mass Effect, Monster Train, and Mario Golf all at the same time but two third person action games at once is a bad idea ?

• Like 1

PS5 really needs an alert feature for when a PS5 version of a game you already own is released. I would have had no clue a PS5 version of CrossCode was released LAST MONTH if I wasn't randomly looking through the PS5 games section of their store on my phone just now. Apparently you can't carry over your save (that sucks), but the file size went from like 3GBs to 569MB. Goddamn. And it runs 120fps now.

• Like 1

Started digging into the Steam library last night and I feel like my main interest in the Steam Deck is going to be Xbox 360/PS3 titles that aren't backwards compatible.  There's a decent number of mid 2000's titles/early 2010's games from that era that I'd like to have on a current gen system.  Remember Me, El Shaddai, Bionic Commando, etc.  Also some Vita titles I particularly like and a few titles like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath which I'd prefer to have on some other system besides Switch.  Really intrigued by the Deck, but not sure how it's going to go over in the marketplace or how long Valve will stay interested.  Steam Machine seemed like an excellent prospect too, other than the name.

Big loser in this will be my Switch.  I was already beginning to try to move every multiplatform game possible to Xbox or PlayStation.  If I do pick up a Deck, Switch will probably end up being just the first-party exclusives.

From what I've read/been told, Deck looks to be more or less on par with the base PS4 & Xbox One, though better is some ways.  Seems like it could be a great gaming machine, especially for handheld users.  

y'all need to remember this thing is going to be on SteamOS, meaning Linux. The games that will work on the Steam Deck are the ones that have linux support already. If you're looking to play stuff that doesn't have linux support you're in for disappointment.

EDIT: here's the category page for SteamOS/Linux. https://store.steampowered.com/linux

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Casey said:

PS5 really needs an alert feature for when a PS5 version of a game you already own is released. I would have had no clue a PS5 version of CrossCode was released LAST MONTH if I wasn't randomly looking through the PS5 games section of their store on my phone just now. Apparently you can't carry over your save (that sucks), but the file size went from like 3GBs to 569MB. Goddamn. And it runs 120fps now.

The only way I know is the trophy hunting site I frequent (they post trophy lists ahead of time) and psprices.com (which tells when new games are up).

I agree - Sony needs better notification when PS5 versions of games you already own on PS4 are available. I found out that Shape of the World now has a PS5 version and Alphadia Genesis (RPG Maker RPG from Kemco) does as well.

2 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

y'all need to remember this thing is going to be on SteamOS, meaning Linux. The games that will work on the Steam Deck are the ones that have linux support already. If you're looking to play stuff that doesn't have linux support you're in for disappointment.

EDIT: here's the category page for SteamOS/Linux. https://store.steampowered.com/linux

“Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third-party software and operating systems,” says Valve, which means this hardware isn’t locked down in the way we’re used to seeing from tech companies.

EDIT: I would be more concerned with how much support this thing will get from Valve, since pretty much all of their past hardware projects were dropped not too long after launch or had shitty support from the jump. Who knows if this'll still be something Valve is interested in doing in two years time? 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I think I've talked myself into the Deck just based on the number of old PS3/Xbox 360/Vita games I can have on a current system (mostly talking about games that aren't b/c on Xbox or remastered for PS or Xbox).  Binary Domain?  Works for me.  El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron?  Yes, please.  The Batman: Arkham games?  Sold (I dislike the next-gen remasters).  Got a rather nice list of 2007-2013 titles started.

Kinda feel like the ceiling for the Deck will be third console with an ecletic mix of older games and PC exclusives, but I'm fine with this.  If Valve supports this decently (big if), it will easily replace the Switch for me.  I'm a huge fan of the Nintendo ip's, but I was already moving most multi-platform games to Xbox or PlayStation.  Switch will probably end up being nothing but first-party exclusives after I get the Deck.

"Deck" is a really terrible name, imo.  Though I suppose it's better than "Steam Machine", 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Eoae said:

I think I've talked myself into the Deck just based on the number of old PS3/Xbox 360/Vita games I can have on a current system (mostly talking about games that aren't b/c on Xbox or remastered for PS or Xbox).  Binary Domain?  Works for me.  El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron?  Yes, please.  The Batman: Arkham games?  Sold (I dislike the next-gen remasters).  Got a rather nice list of 2007-2013 titles started.

Kinda feel like the ceiling for the Deck will be third console with an ecletic mix of older games and PC exclusives, but I'm fine with this.  If Valve supports this decently (big if), it will easily replace the Switch for me.  I'm a huge fan of the Nintendo ip's, but I was already moving most multi-platform games to Xbox or PlayStation.  Switch will probably end up being nothing but first-party exclusives after I get the Deck.

"Deck" is a really terrible name, imo.  Though I suppose it's better than "Steam Machine", 

I told an offline friend of mine about it and he thought the name of the system was Steam Dick. Valve needs to probably rename it but Gabe Newell is too busy swimming like Scrooge McDuck in their vault of money.

I think after how many Wiis sold, companies aren't fretting the names of their consoles anymore. Although I still think Xbox using the word "Series" as the only way to differentiate between last gen and current gen is the dumbest thing I've ever seen with console names. Sony is the smart one, just put the number up one, problem solved.

• Like 1

My Xbox already shipped and it'll be here Tuesday, so is there anything I absolutely need to try? Preferably Xbox exclusives or stuff that's on Game Pass. I'm already getting itchy looking at the 360 games they have, some of those take me back to when I was a teenager. I already know I'm going to try Code Vein since it's on there, and it's not something I'd want to outright buy for the PS5.

I don't know how I'm going to manage having two current-gen consoles and deciding which platform to play something on. Obviously if it's Game Pass Day 1, I'll go for that, but yeah. Probably still lean towards PS5 since it's more powerful than the Series S.

• Like 1

So, Xbox has more apps than PS5 from what I can tell (Other than my phone, first place I’ve found that has the Discovery+ app), you can buy TV shows and movies in the store, Game Pass is pretty great from what I’ve seen, and most importantly - the Xbox Rewards thing is a cool idea that I don’t remember being a thing (but it probably was).

Maybe I’ll take back the bad things I said about the Xbox now.

I like Xbox quite a bit.  You won't be disappointed.  I've got both Series X and S and think they're both great.  Dollar for dollar, the Series S may be even more impressive than Series X.  Gamepass isn't for me (yet), but it's a great value if you're interested in going that direction.  

Played a few hours of Death's Door late last night and really liked it.  If definitely gives off a top-down Zelda vibe, but that's not a bad thing.  Reviews have been very good so far.  I was one of the people that thought Acid Nerve's first game, Titan Souls, was very good and this seems to be a much more ambitious game.  

Last batch of Vita games dropped yesterday.  Sony's not accepting any more submissions for the Vita.

Edited by Eoae

Blizzard is getting sued by the state of California for some really awful shit. Be warned if you go through the filing.

I started playing Blizzard games in 1998 or so with the original Diablo (still have the box here). I'd uninstalled everything a couple years ago, but this just cements it.

PS3 got plugged back in last night.  Thought I was done with it, but nope.  My PS3 library at this point is basically PS classics, PS3 exclusives, and multiplatform games that aren't backwards compatible on Series X & didn't get remastered or remade - and it's still awesome.  Love that generation.  Also, there are a few remasters that I don't like & still prefer the original.  I'm looking at you, Arkham games!

Xbox 360 is probably done for.  I've got about 125 games X360 games on the external hdd connected to the Series X, and there are probably at least 100 360/PS3 games that got remastered for Xbox One.  That leaves a few dozen games of note, but most of those are available for PS3.  Also, it's inevitable that I'm going to buy a Steam Deck or gaming PC in the next year or so, so a lot of X360/PS3 games will end up in my Steam library.

I have Xbox game pass and PS Now and feel i won't have to purchase as many newer games as both seem to cover a lot of ground. Xbox has all the Yakuza games including the newest like a dragon,  they also have a deal with EA Access so you get all of the sports games. They just added the newest UFC.   Between Game Pass and PSNow I feel set. The only game missing that i'd want right now is the newest RE. 

hello i do not post very often anymore but I felt like writing some game reviews and this is the only place I've put them for years

scale reminder: 1 = hate it, 2 = regret it, 3 = don't regret it, 4 = love it

CHILDREN OF MORTA [3]
Not usually a roguelike guy, and definitely not a save-the-world guy anymore, but I've been playing this in a co-op setting and the actual gameplay loop once you get more characters is pretty fun. I have fallen off of it as I have sworn off games with exposed numbers for the forseeable future, but I'd recommend this for anyone looking to do co-op RPG things. No netplay though, so, that'll be a hamper on that.

JUDGMENT [4]
If you like Yakuza games, this one's good and fun and different. If you don't like Yakuza games, this one isn't going to sell you.

PAPER MARIO: THE ORIGAMI KING [3]
Started this because I have taken on a role in my friend groups of The Nintendo Streamer since they don't mess with Nintendo stuff at all but I do. Often great, but I'm in the home stretch and my main thought is that I can't wait to be done with it. This is also the most interesting way that Nintendo has ever enforced its "take breaks damn you" mantra because the puzzle element of the combat system is mentally taxing enough that I literally can't play it for long stretches. Also I got to hit Kamek with a hammer as many times as I wanted, which is hundreds.

SAMURAI GUNN 2 EARLY ACCESS [4]
Samurai Gunn was a game I wanted to play but didn't because of a lack of netplay and a... let's say tendency among my friends to be super toxic competitors. Samurai Gunn 2 not only has netplay, but it has an adventure mode. It's stylish and heavy and impactful.

CRUELTY SQUAD [4]
Game of the year. Not close. The single best FPS since Titanfall 2, in literally the complete opposite way since Titanfall 2. It's like Deus Ex by way of the tv show Xavier: Renegade Angel, with the shooter gameplay of the original Rainbow Six games and a story that is Actual Cyber Punk.

An example: my last mission required me to go attack three people who were working with the goofood startup G-TECH, as my employer had invested $5 Billion into them and they turned around and started selling trade secrets. Well, some of them. The third guy used their part of the money to stock up on chunkopop figures. Anyways, the first kill was easy as I was able to walk right onto their compound, only really encountering resistance from the guard dogs. I took them and my target inside and harvested their organs, which is my most profitable side hustle (I can't fish and I dont have enough money for the stock market to be worthwhile).

The second and third targets were next door neighbors, with much more active guards. However, I propped myself upon a fence and had to choose between the two. One was on the top floor, the other was in a basement bunker. I figured it'd be harder to get the guy in the bunker so I did him first. After another round of firefights and organ harvesting, I reached the bunker. I saw him running around on the lower floor, but as I started going downstairs, the lights began to dim and the enormous computer console's eyes- a terminal panel more comparable to half a modern TV in size- opened and turned red. I decided I did not need to go down stairs, waited from him to walk in front of the staircase, and shot him in the ear. I left those organs behind, but I had no enthusiasm to learn what the computer was trying to do.

Without an easy way back onto the fence- I'm saving up for Gunkboosters- I left the bunker and went to the local pizza restaurant to get something to eat before fighting my way to my third target. The man behind the counter opened fire immediately. He lost. I helped myself to his organs (hey, a stomach! Nice, those sell for a lot) and every slice of pizza on every table of the restaurant. They probably lost their appetite. That's why they didn't fight back. That and the part where I was walking around with a submachine gun in one hand, shoveling their food into my mouth with the other.

The third target was the easiest of the three, though I still almost ate shit from someone hiding around the corner. The third target was also the braver of the three, as despite clearly hearing his guards being shot and torn apart, he wasn't running in fear. In fact, he thought I was like him: an appreciator of delightful chunkopops. Coming into the room, I saw a tower of the toys starting on my left, floor to ceiling, three boxes wide, that wrapped around the entire room except for the doorways and windows. He turned away from me to look at them. While the others died in fear, he died looking at what he loved. I could only salvage his pancreas. Upstairs in the attic, a similar terminal to the second man's bunker sentinel hummed peacefully, its own terminal eyes closed. The panel was a soothing purple. I let them sleep and made my way to the extraction point. On the way back, I noticed a house in this neighborhood had an enormous pentagram carved into the front of the house. Not my problem tho.

This is a literal description of how I played one mission in Cruelty Squad.

Game of the year. Not close.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Got my 220th Platinum trophy with Need For Speed: Undercover. EA is shutting down the servers for this game on August 31, 2021.

The game got to be pretty addictive but OMG the freaking NPC AI cars about made me snap the disc in half. They appear out of nowhere right in front of you when you are in first place - and when they get hit, they just sit there and don't move. Annoying.

It also has Maggie Q and Christina Millian wearing skimpy clothes even though the story could be written on a napkin.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

I bought Mortal Shell on the Series S. This is my first Souls-like game, and I immediately died at the first open area after you get your first shell. Rotting Christ doing the soundtrack for the boss fights makes this game very interesting, too. I'm not usually into black metal, but this just works. I also love that you get a one time reprieve after you die - you exit your shell, but you're completely unarmored (but can still harden your body). That's cool.

I'm gonna knock out What Remains of Edith Finch tonight for the second time (first time was on Switch, a year ago) just to get the gamerpoints.

American McGee's Alice looks like absolute shit but I always wanted to play this game and its sequel when I was younger, but never could, so I'm gonna power through it. 

Finished Death's Door.  Highly recommended.  

Going to dig out something from PS3 or Vita for the weekend.  Kinda want to dive into Persona 4 Golden but don't want to pump that many hours into it since I'm probably going to end up buying 4 or 5 games next week.  Descent, Flight Simulator, World Ends with You sequel, and a couple interesting indie games all drop midweek.  Sigh.  Guessing I'm going to end up ordering the $350 Flight Sim controller next week too.

Probably going to boot Max Payne 3 or Binary Domain late tonight, or maybe one of the Vita exclusives on my PSTV.

Played a few games last night on the Series S.

Black was on the original Xbox, and honestly it's not that bad. It's an inoffensive FPS, pretty basic. The controls seem backwards as fuck, though. I can't imagine I'll be playing too many original Xbox games, I just can't do it.

Star Renegades is good stuff. The deeper I get into it, the more I'll end up falling in love with it probably - like CrossCode and Cosmic Star Heroine. There's a tad too much stuffed into the combat, but I wasn't paying attention super closely so maybe it's not that difficult to figure out.

Tell Me Why & The Medium are two games that I wanted to play and were reasons I wanted an Xbox Series X/S. The former because I love Dontnod games, and The Medium is just super interesting. Not terribly far into either, but they'll probably be the main games I'm playing right now.

Mafia: Definitive Edition is pretty as fuck, but man the driving is clunky as fuck. I'm here for a mob video game though, and I never played any of the trilogy so this is a new experience for me (I bought the trilogy).

Surprisingly, the game I played the most last night was Dead Cells. Once you get the hang of stuff like dodge and block (if you have a shield) and how the upgrades, etc. work... man, it's really fun.

I was going to try out CrisTales real quick, but I'm sleepy so I'm downloading Dead Space, Fallout: New Vegas and Last Stop and then going to bed.

Black suffered greatly from the developers over-promising something revolutionary and genre-defining and then not being able to deliver.  So basically the game was ahead of its time in that respect.

Tell Me Why is my favorite Dontnod game.  Medium was interesting.  I liked it more than most, i think.

Fell into Binary Domain last night.  I enjoy it a lot.  Cover-based shooter with a wacky cyberpunk story.  There are some really nice touches, like the enemy robots doing Terminator impressions when hit by gunfire and continuing to crawl towards you even as large bits of their bodies fly off (you can shoot off limbs and they'll still drag themselves around).  A couple of the mechanics don't seem to work well, but, on the whole, this game seems mostly underrated.  

Really surprised this game hasn't been remastered by Sega considering how big Yakuza has become.  Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio developed the game.  Allegedly, the game only sold 20,000 copies in North America during its first two or three months or release.  Yakuza 3 and 4 were already out by then, so that's... odd.  Anyway, enjoyed my first round with it quite a bit.