DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Look I love Ghost of Tsushima, like the first game I've played all the way through and felt satisfied with in like 10 years. So I am looking forward to the Iki Island expansion. I have time to buy a new TV since honored Daughter destroyed not one, not two but all three of our TVs (how you ask? Simple, she is a 3 year old Champion of Chaos promising blood and souls for Arioch in exchange for power in her evil toddler quest). 

James

• Haha 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I have no impulse control and bought Persona 4 Golden, as well as the Yakuza bundles in the Steam summer sale.

It's entirely possible I may not see the sun for the rest of the year.

10 hours ago, J.H. said:

Look I love Ghost of Tsushima, like the first game I've played all the way through and felt satisfied with in like 10 years. So I am looking forward to the Iki Island expansion. I have time to buy a new TV since honored Daughter destroyed not one, not two but all three of our TVs (how you ask? Simple, she is a 3 year old Champion of Chaos promising blood and souls for Arioch in exchange for power in her evil toddler quest). 

James

A couple months ago, we were babysitting a neighbor's 7-year-old and the girl somehow managed to spill her orange juice - into the PS4's disc insert slot.  It was a paperweight after that.

Bought a PS5 off eBay later that night.  I think I wanted an excuse to upgrade anyway, so the episode ended up being a solution in search of a problem.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 1

I made a big spread sheet of every loose DS game that costs less than half of it's market value @ Gamestop and now I have hundreds of free gamer bux because of Wario Ware DIY and Spectrobes and some Avatar game and Tamagochi (among dozens of others). Every other store has a giant stash behind the counter and they're usually happy to print you a list and dig for the good ones.

I sort of can't believe this worked, but now I have a $150 copy of God Hand for PS2 that I really only spent $50 bucks on - and this was just from trading things in at a place that would give me 50% of a game's Pricecharting value. I'm stashing all my Atlus-published games and RPGs. This is a fun thing to do and you should try it

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

Did my second play through of the new Ratchet & Clank game, so much fun to just blow shit up in great set pieces! Got the Platinum. Tried to get into Bloodborne for a third time and I just can't do it. I hate the visuals and really don't like how the controls feel. If I liked either, MAYBE I'd be up for the frustration, but there's nothing that grabs me and compels me to play. I'm not sure what's next on the gaming docket, but the backlog is absurd as hell so there's options ?

Starting to play Control and I don't know what I think of this so far.  It's like someone took a bunch of ideas that didn't make it into Half-Life 2 and made a significantly weirder game from the bits.  I only have 1 ability so far, so I doubt what I've seen is an entirely representative sample, but it's just...it's definitely off-kilter in any number of ways.  It tries to be, I dunno, Lynchian almost?  But it doesn't really pull that off.  It's more like if someone tried to make an Umbrella Academy-adjacent video game that took itself far too seriously.  The feel of the gameplay is all right, but there's also stuff that's just kind of nutty from the get-go, like how you can jump off the second story and make dents in the floor *immediately* upon starting to play the game, no explanation, no reason for it to be happening.  That's just...there.  A part of me wants to like something that feels no need to explain itself, but this takes it to almost being meta.  "You're a gamer, you don't really care about the premise, just hit the thing with the other thing and progress the story."

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Got both my first Mega Satan and Delirium kills in Isaac today. Feel like the greatest videogamesman to ever live. Of course, it’s probably not much of an accomplishment to someone who is actually *good* at the game, but damn did it ever feel good for me!

I ended up starting Infamous: Second Son as my next full playthrough, and it's definitely feeling dated but is still pretty neat! The neon power is all sorts of fun, too, and sniping people to subdue them makes so many battles MASSIVELY easier. I'll probably pick up First Light since it's a companion piece, but don't think I'll dip back to the original two Infamous games. 

On 7/7/2021 at 5:38 PM, Shane said:

Got both my first Mega Satan and Delirium kills in Isaac today. Feel like the greatest videogamesman to ever live. Of course, it’s probably not much of an accomplishment to someone who is actually *good* at the game, but damn did it ever feel good for me!

Wonderful feelings brought about by a wonderful game. I remember when I pulled off my first major run. That game consumed me!

On 7/6/2021 at 7:45 PM, Tromatagon said:

If you think Control is Lynchian stop playing it and play Deadly Premonition instead.

A lot of really good, entirely unique games have been remade for Switch and fuck me if this ain't one of the main ones. The whistling song playing over the weird kitchen table scene in the beginning? That's a thing! I gotta hop back on this game and finish it before the summer ends.

I finally started Death Stranding today. I know they're gonna remake it with more guns and blowy-uppy shit for PS5 and I kinda wanted to get in before all that happened. This thing seems like a major work in the genre of Video Games About Video Games, and yeah, it fucking predicts humanity during COVID to an absolutely creepy degree. This one looks like another jewel in Kojima's crown. I'm sure I could look up every critical word this board wrote about it, but why? You spend a huge amount of any open-world game traversing a map and following an arrow. This game takes that fact and turns it into gameplay. It takes the inherent loneliness of single-player games & the culture created by a post-internet world and makes a strangely optimistic story out of it. It's political and personal and auteurish and a whole bunch of good things, this shit is a major experience in the push-button-watch-screen genre of human expression.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Speaking of Death Stranding - looks like they've done what Ghost of Tsushima did, somewhat. The base, bare bones game isn't available in the PS Store anymore, just the Director's Cut (and the Digital Deluxe PS4 version). So anyone looking to buy the game for cheap on the digital PS5 when it goes on sale and then get the $10 upgrade is fucked. The last time the DDE was under $40 was over a year ago (compared to the base game when it was available, was constantly on sale and lowest it went was $20).

This is the new norm, I guess. Announce a Director's Cut+PS5 upgrade, remove the original game from the store. Smart financial move, but it sucks for the digital PS5 owners.

Edited by Casey

Supposedly, if you have the disc PS4 version, it's a free upgrade, but the language around that isn't very clear (is it a $10 upgrade for the disc version too?)

I may buy a physical edition (same with GoT Director's Cut).

Based on the timing of the releases (Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut - August, Death Stranding Director's Cut - September), I would almost wonder if Horizon Forbidden West will be out in October or November. If Sony's smart, they'll push back Horizon: FW to 2022 and have Horizon: Zero Dawn PS5 upgrade in October and have God of War PS5 upgrade in November. That way, people will be disappointed but it'll cushion the disappointment.

12 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Supposedly, if you have the disc PS4 version, it's a free upgrade, but the language around that isn't very clear (is it a $10 upgrade for the disc version too?)

I had the PS4 disc version, but it's obviously not accessible in my library on PS5 since I have the digital console. I don't think any game that's done a PS5 upgrade or whatever has allowed digital PS5 owners get the game digitally just because they owned a physical copy on PS4, have they? Or did Fallen Order do that?

14 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

If Sony's smart, they'll push back Horizon: FW to 2022 and have Horizon: Zero Dawn PS5 upgrade in October and have God of War PS5 upgrade in November. That way, people will be disappointed but it'll cushion the disappointment.

You shut your mouth right now about delaying Forbidden West! ? The only way it'd cushion the blow for fans of those franchises is a frame rate boost and additional content like what GoT and Death Stranding is offering, and God of War already had the frame rate upgrade a few months ago. I'd love to do a NG+ in Horizon with 60fps, but would it cancel out the crushing disappointment of not getting the sequel this year? Probably not, because that game is already goddamn gorgeous and (honestly) doesn't need the 60fps boost IMO. It'd be nice, but it doesn't hold the game back or anything.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I had the PS4 disc version, but it's obviously not accessible in my library on PS5 since I have the digital console. I don't think any game that's done a PS5 upgrade or whatever has allowed digital PS5 owners get the game digitally just because they owned a physical copy on PS4, have they? Or did Fallen Order do that?

You shut your mouth right now about delaying Forbidden West! ? The only way it'd cushion the blow for fans of those franchises is a frame rate boost and additional content like what GoT and Death Stranding is offering, and God of War already had the frame rate upgrade a few months ago. I'd love to do a NG+ in Horizon with 60fps, but would it cancel out the crushing disappointment of not getting the sequel this year? Probably not, because that game is already goddamn gorgeous and (honestly) doesn't need the 60fps boost IMO. It'd be nice, but it doesn't hold the game back or anything.

Fallen Order - along with the most recent PS5 upgrades like Metro Exodus, Greedfall (wait, really?) and Doom Eternal - allowed you to pop in the disc to get the upgrade. Of course, you needed the disc.

I'm weird - I want to be able to Platinum Horizon Zero Dawn AGAIN but with 4K visuals and SSD and DualSense features. I would gladly take that and God of War (2018) having that, just for two more trophy lists lol. I somewhat think given where things are now in the world, delaying it would be prudent.

But still, the State of Play on Horizon: FW WILL make me pre-order it as soon as it's available. Holy shit.

Deathloop is apparently a timed exclusive for the PS5, not a full exclusive.  Fine print says it will be exclusive to PS5 until at least September 2022, so I expect it will be on Xbox and Gamepass by October 2022.  Lol, smart move.  They'll probably get me to buy it twice in a year.

I'm assuming Death Stranding Director's Cut is $10 regardless of physical or digital edition.  Wouldn't make sense to charge digital owners $10 and give it to retail owners free.

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is $20 if you already own the standard edition and you buy it for PS4, $30 if you already own the standard edition and you buy it for PS5.  You can buy the PS4 director's cut then upgrade it to PS5 later for another $10.  So basically you're paying $20 for the new DLC and $10 for the PS5 upgrade.  Works for me.

Edited by Eoae

I have a weird question for everyone. How is Civ VI on consoles? Is it worth even dabbling with. I've always wanted to check one of those out for a few hours but think of them more as a PC game. Closest I've gotten is I played a little of Tropico 5 on the PS4 when that was a PS+ game. Also, if it's worth touching. Is it better on normal console, or is it a more enjoyable Switch experience?

Played through a couple games lately.  

Scarlet Nexus.  Loved every minute with this game.  Great visuals, interesting characters & boss monster designs, satisfying combat, etc.  I've heard criticisms of both the story and the side quests, but neither was an issue for me.  The story setup is bonkers and only gets more loopy as it goes.  It does lean heavily on anime tropes, but I never thought it was incomprehensible or lost the plot.  Scarlet Nexus reminds me a lot of Astral Chain, but I think I'd give the nod to Nexus.  That's not a knock on AC.  Astral Chain is one of my favorite Switch games, though I hate that it's trapped on the Switch.  

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  Waited way too long to play this.  Another great game.  Probably a better Cyberpunk than Cyberpunk (2077).  I certainly got more value out of Human Revolution and, for a PS3 game, it looks outstanding,  

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.  I bought this for the Wii U but never played more than a handful of levels.  Switch port has a few new levels (replacing a few levels that were removed for whatever reason).  More a puzzle game than a platformer.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  The puzzles get cleaver pretty quickly and the aesthetic is adorable.  It's basically what you would expect from a Mario spinoff.  Same team that developed Captain Toad developed Super Mario 3D World (and a lot of the same people worked on Super Mario Odyssey).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

I have a weird question for everyone. How is Civ VI on consoles? Is it worth even dabbling with. I've always wanted to check one of those out for a few hours but think of them more as a PC game. Closest I've gotten is I played a little of Tropico 5 on the PS4 when that was a PS+ game. Also, if it's worth touching. Is it better on normal console, or is it a more enjoyable Switch experience?

Civ VI worked great on my PS4, haven't tried it out yet on my PS5. I have too many new games to finish and Civ can make a weekend disappear fast.

The day I (and probably a lot of people) thought would never come: I'll be able to Platinum Grand Theft Auto V for PS3. I just completed the last online trophy for the base game.

Have to get 9 more platinum medals in heists and run through Series A heist and I'll be done, well ahead of time for the server shutdown.

Did Max Payne 3's online trophies a few weeks ago as well.

Now I got to do the PS4 version of GTAV's online trophies before the PS5 version is out.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 3