DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

GBA Mario Golf came out in 2004. Since then we've known Camelot can make a very compelling RPG based Adventure Mode. And every time these games come out, Nintendo tells them not to. I'm through getting my hopes up. No 4-Player mode on one screen is even more ridiculous. Golf Story sequel when?

Sonic Mania is free on Epic Games.

So... is it SEGA or whoever that won't allow me to use my PS5 controller with the game, is it Epic, or what? Even launching the game through Steam doesn't allow me to navigate the actual game with the controller, but I can browse the Steam menu with the DualSense. I'm assuming this is an Epic/SEGA specific thing. Which sucks, because it's the only controller I have and I don't want to play Sonic with a keyboard like some sort of WEIRDO.

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Alright, which one of you is getting Mario Golf? Looking for some trusted word of mouth before I buy it.

Its fun, but its also Mario Golf. I am a little concerned once I beat Adventure I won't ever play it again, which isn't the end of the world if I get 20 hours out of it. After about six or seven hours of gameplay its pretty easy, I've never lost, but it may get harder near end-game so I won't complain too much. Some things are a little silly, like them coming up with different game modes that basically all amount to "timed" speed golf (win before you die from dehydration, finish the fastest, countdown timer, etc.). I'm not sure if its *better* than Everybody's Golf but it is different enough. I like it, not 100% sure its a $60 game but probably would be if I had kids or roommates that would play it.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is fucking rad. There's SO much going on sometimes that shootouts get confusing but it's still absolutely beautiful. What a time to be a gamer, where you can literally just play amazing games, and never experience something like ET on Atari ?

• Like 1

Batman: Telltale S1 sure runs like shit, even on a PS5. That's shocking. Hellblade actually has a warning come up when you boot up the game on PS5, but I've had ZERO problems with it, but a Telltale game stutters and freezes and outright crashes? The hell. I did manage to 100% the first season this morning, though. Not like that's difficult, but still. Not a huge fan of the designs for some of these villains (Dent/Two-Face is spot on, though).

I wish the Guardians TellTale game was still available in the online store.

I reupped Gamefly a couple months ago and forgot to cancel after the first month. I should have Mario Golf hitting my inbox today and am hopeful that will make for a fun Monday night. 

This is the only thing I've bought in the summer sale so far. Had my eye on it for a while and it's 40% off. It's a roguelite game with turn based RPG style combat and a lot of team/relationship building between the different characters which seems to be a way you unlock bonuses or even some special team moves a la Chrono Trigger. There's also equipment, and cards that you burn as camping skills. The game uses something akin to the Nemesis System from those Lord of the Rings games to make the minibosses more unique and interesting.  Art is pretty gorgeous faux-16-bit-but-better stuff. Haven't really played enough of it to come to any serious conclusions about the gameplay but my first night's play was fun. The tutorials were actually good. Second video has actual gameplay for anyone curious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Other than the Fables one, i have not liked the story of any of the Telltale games I played (2 Batman, GOT). And I loathed the GOT one. 

I'm not a huge Batman/DC fan, so I'm pretty easy to please. S2 is a lot less janky than S1, that's for sure. Framerate hasn't tanked yet, and no crashes either.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

This is the only thing I've bought in the summer sale so far. Had my eye on it for a while and it's 40% off. It's a roguelite game with turn based RPG style combat and a lot of team/relationship building between the different characters which seems to be a way you unlock bonuses or even some special team moves a la Chrono Trigger. There's also equipment, and cards that you burn as camping skills. The game uses something akin to the Nemesis System from those Lord of the Rings games to make the minibosses more unique and interesting.  Art is pretty gorgeous faux-16-bit-but-better stuff. Haven't really played enough of it to come to any serious conclusions about the gameplay but my first night's play was fun. The tutorials were actually good. Second video has actual gameplay for anyone curious.

Welp, that's added to my Playstation wishlist for sure. Like CrossCode and Cosmic Star Heroine, it's something I rather play on Switch, but I sold that last year, so... Plus I'm a trophy whore.

Sony has acquired Housemarque, making them a first party studio. It seems the Japanese Twitter account for PlayStation accidentally uploaded a separate announcement too, announcing they also acquired Bluepoint (complete with the same graphic as the Housemarque one, but with an extra game added to it)

Mafia III is like ten bucks with XBox Gold.  I think I will finally give in and buy the game.

Watch this fucking thing be a free Game with Gold in like two months.

Edited by J.T.

Is it the original version of Mafia 3 from a few years ago, or the remastered one from last year?

Edited by AxB

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Sony has acquired Housemarque, making them a first party studio. It seems the Japanese Twitter account for PlayStation accidentally uploaded a separate announcement too, announcing they also acquired Bluepoint (complete with the same graphic as the Housemarque one, but with an extra game added to it)

Not a huge surprise.  Sony has been in negotiations with Bluepoint for awhile now and it seemed to be a matter of when, not if.  And Housemarque's games have mostly been Sony console exclusives since about 2010.  One or two titles have gotten PC or mobile ports, but Outland (2011) was their last true multi-platform release.  

Trying to work my way through Sekiro, man is it tough. As many have said and I was expecting, the skills I've acquired from Souls games that made Bloodborne pretty easy don't carry over at all here and they might be making it harder, as old habits die hard. But I'm not sure I'm loving the game yet. The combat feels wayyy more reaction time reliant than the Souls games. It was easy to troubleshoot in the Souls games and know what I could do different next time, whereas here I'm having little idea what to do besides having quicker reaction time, which is not something I find is improving with age. The combat is a bit more rock/paper/scissors, do you dodge, parry, or jump, but I have so little time to decide these things that most of my victories seem to come by luck/accident. Somehow I managed to beat the first boss on my first attempt, but other parts of the game and special enemies have me banging my head on the wall. If I do end up beating this game, I somehow have the feeling it will be done through sheer will and chaotic chance, rather than skill.

As I remember it, the main thing in Sekiro is to always be attacking whenever possible, every second that you're not dodging or parrying attacks. That doesn't remove the need to time your defensive maneouvres, but it means you don't need to land them as many times, as you'll overload the enemy endurance bar quicker. It's still the hardest From game I've played, but it's beatable, I managed it and I'm far from a games wizard.

23 hours ago, AxB said:

Is it the original version of Mafia 3 from a few years ago, or the remastered one from last year?

I bought the Definitive Edition and TBH I am not sure if it is remastered.   I'll find out after I'm done with Mass Effect:  LE provided that CDPR doesn't finally get it's shit together and gets 2077 stable enough to start making Living Improvement patches.

I'm not holding my breath over that shit.

Edited by J.T.

Played a bit of Patapon this morning then went to work.  This was stuck in my head during three hours of meetings with clients:

Not sure how i got through morning without cracking up. 

Edited by Eoae

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Just steal cars until an NPC puts a Bounty on you.

I'm afraid that doesn't work. Rockstar Games pretty much removed the bounty system for PS3 and I don't think NPCs can put a bounty on you anymore. There's no legitimate way of doing it.

That's odd. I know that people were using the Bounty system to glitch money at one point (because I bought quite a lot of things with some of that money), but you'd think they'd disable Players putting bounties on each other to stop that, not NPC bounties.

The PS3 version of online was getting a bit modder heavy when I left. I dread to think who's left in there now.

Control & Return of the Obra Dinn mark the most I've picked up from a Steam sale in a few years now.

I'm not sure if I really like Obra Dinn or not.  I probably should, and I got it up to 15 fates on my current playthrough, but...I don't know.  There are times when it feels like it's overwhelming, or that there's too much guessing.  Plus, the interface is super-clunky in terms of collating relevant information; it'd be great to have a page that's nothing but solved fates, a page for speculative fates, and then one for everyone else.  But I like the details that are there: jewelry makes a difference; who's carrying food makes a difference. And man, that dude going out while taking a shit...oof, poor guy.

Edited by Contentious C