DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

It sounds like Vinny/Brad/Alex are starting their next project together. I guess it's initially starting with a podcast called Nextlander and also will have a twitch channel for streaming. I guess more to come, but happy to see those guys start their next thing quickly. 

• Like 3

Playing Disco Elysium completely wrong, and having a blast.

Basically, I set all stats to the minimum, do not invest at all in any skills, and consistently try to make the worst possible decisions.  I'm a jerk to everyone I meet, I've never met a bribe i didn't like, & I've ingested so many drugs my pee is probably neon green.  The game is very hard this way.  I generally get the worse possible outcome from the "dice rolls"/checks.  It takes practically nothing to kill me.  I've died several times from running and falling since I can't afford to lose any health whatsoever.  Getting into an argument can become a life and death struggle for me.  I appear to have been murdered once or twice by shopkeepers who yelled mean words at me (I deserved it).

I'm very stupid.  Skills are what drive the internal dialogues, so, without skill points, not much going on in my head.  At times, I'm too stupid to do my job properly.  Fortunately, I compensate by randomly punching people and things.  Particularly kids.  Without giving anything away, there's one npc that annoys me so much I could punch him all day long.   I'm such a bad person in this.

I've skipped out on every bill possible to the point i'm surprised there's not a bounty out for me.  Don't get me wrong.  I like money, but..... my main source of income at the moment is bribes and that barely keeps me in drugs and boom boxes.  Besides, actually paying a bill would require a moral compass my character seems to lack.  

Despite all this, lol, I'm slowly progressing through the game.  The game engine apparently can't accommodate my desire to die in a pool of my own vomit, so it keeps feeding me leads and guiding me along.  And Kim Kitsuragi, god bless him, is either a true friend and cock-eyed optimist or too out of it himself to see what is going on.  No matter how badly I screw up, he's there to be supportive and encouraging.  I mean, i tried to quit being a cop at the beginning of the game and he no-sold it and gave me a "buck up champ" speech.  At this point, he may be a worse person than I am since he consistently glosses over his disappointment so he can continue to enable me and point me in the right direction.... so I can go out and cause some more mayhem.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

It sounds like Vinny/Brad/Alex are starting their next project together. I guess it's initially starting with a podcast called Nextlander and also will have a twitch channel for streaming. I guess more to come, but happy to see those guys start their next thing quickly. 

I was just coming here to post this. Very happy to see those three start what is basically Giant Beastcast/Bombcast. It does at least feel a little weird for them to be kinda competing with Giant Bomb. 

Although, thinking back to the "Brad is leaving" episode of the Giant Bombcast where Brad, Vinny, and Alex announced they were leaving, they talked about how having a website is pretty antiquated when you can do everything from Twitch, YouTube, podcasts, Patreon, and other social media channels. That's pretty much what Nextlander is. No website, just their content spread across multiple channels with a Patreon system backing them. So it almost feels like this was hinted at in their last Bombcast.

But Brad said something that stood out in the introductory podcast. He said for the first time ever he was able to promote the Will and Brad Made a Tech Pod, which he wasn't and to before. I think that almost cements that their leaving was more or less an opportunity to own their own thing and be free to promote whatever side projects they're working on, like Brad and Will's podcast, Alex's music, and Vinny's woodworking stuff. Sounds like they were restricted from doing that before and definitely not by Jeff, but by CNET, Red Ventures, etc.

Anyway, I'm super happy those guys are contributed to video games. It's nice having dudes my age that I've followed for what feels like forever now still covering a subject I love and it's not like it prevents me from listening to the Bombcast, which has been pretty good lately. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was just coming here to post this. Very happy to see those three start what is basically Giant Beastcast/Bombcast. It does at least feel a little weird for them to be kinda competing with Giant Bomb. 

Although, thinking back to the "Brad is leaving" episode of the Giant Bombcast where Brad, Vinny, and Alex announced they were leaving, they talked about how having a website is pretty antiquated when you can do everything from Twitch, YouTube, podcasts, Patreon, and other social media channels. That's pretty much what Nextlander is. No website, just their content spread across multiple channels with a Patreon system backing them. So it almost feels like this was hinted at in their last Bombcast.

But Brad said something that stood out in the introductory podcast. He said for the first time ever he was able to promote the Will and Brad Made a Tech Pod, which he wasn't and to before. I think that almost cements that their leaving was more or less an opportunity to own their own thing and be free to promote whatever side projects they're working on, like Brad and Will's podcast, Alex's music, and Vinny's woodworking stuff. Sounds like they were restricted from doing that before and definitely not by Jeff, but by CNET, Red Ventures, etc.

Anyway, I'm super happy those guys are contributed to video games. It's nice having dudes my age that I've followed for what feels like forever now still covering a subject I love and it's not like it prevents me from listening to the Bombcast, which has been pretty good lately. 

I don't support too many projects on Patreon, but I will be doing so soon for Nextlander. It's awesome to see video game content for people that are now in their 30s-40s, not late high school / early college years. Maybe we'll see this more in the future.

I watched the stream they did this afternoon with Power Wash Simulator, The Dark Side of the Moon and Hitman III and it was awesome.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, Craig H said:

Listening to that podcast, I got the feeling that money somewhat played a role as well. I don't remember what Vinny said exactly, but it went into direction that at Giant Bomb all the subscriber money went to the parent company and their budget (and I guess income) was independent of how many subscribers they had as Giant Bomb is such a tiny piece of Red Ventures. So either he meant he felt underpaid/underappreciated or he missed the entrepreneurial spirit that comes from being a tiny cog in a big system.

In somewhat related news, Giant Bomb announced some details into what direction they will go into and it seems that they won't hire any fulltime content provider to replace the guys who left but instead hire freelancers / do things with people working elsewhere. Danny O'Dwyer (who had been a Bombcast regular in recent months) will join the site parttime and apparently will both work on core content like quick looks as well as some independent projects (whatever that will be). Other stuff mentioned was doing something with Dan Ryckert (I think a show with Bakalar), Jeff Grubb (Gamebeat) will provide some content (in a freelance position, I guess), and they plan to do a regular show with Gamespot's Tamoor Hussain and Lucy James.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robert s said:

Listening to that podcast, I got the feeling that money somewhat played a role as well. I don't remember what Vinny said exactly, but it went into direction that at Giant Bomb all the subscriber money went to the parent company and their budget (and I guess income) was independent of how many subscribers they had as Giant Bomb is such a tiny piece of Red Ventures. So either he meant he felt underpaid/underappreciated or he missed the entrepreneurial spirit that comes from being a tiny cog in a big system.

In somewhat related news, Giant Bomb announced some details into what direction they will go into and it seems that they won't hire any fulltime content provider to replace the guys who left but instead hire freelancers / do things with people working elsewhere. Danny O'Dwyer (who had been a Bombcast regular in recent months) will join the site parttime and apparently will both work on core content like quick looks as well as some independent projects (whatever that will be). Other stuff mentioned was doing something with Dan Ryckert (I think a show with Bakalar), Jeff Grubb (Gamebeat) will provide some content (in a freelance position, I guess), and they plan to do a regular show with Gamespot's Tamoor Hussain and Lucy James.

Yeah, they also teased the return of Danswers, which would be fun. 

I'm enjoying what both entities are doing and my hope is that with E3 coming up, we'll get a reunion with everyone.

So apparently EA was hacked with the hackers saying they have the source code for FIFA 21 and the Frostbite engine

I am shocked - SHOCKED - that no one wants to buy the Frostbite engine

• Haha 2

I was lazy this year and didn't make a separate E3 thread - please use the Upcoming Games thread for the stuff that will come out the next few weeks

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So apparently EA was hacked with the hackers saying they have the source code for FIFA 21 and the Frostbite engine

I am shocked - SHOCKED - that no one wants to buy the Frostbite engine

EA did not learn from CDPR's we wuz hacked dealie where bidders did not show up to the hackers' REDEngine auction?

Your code is safe, dudes.  No one cares about Frostbite.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

EA did not learn from CDPR's we wuz hacked dealie where bidders did not show up to the hackers' REDEngine auction?

Uhm, actually apparently someone did buy it. Stuff was released this past week.

• Like 1

I continue playing a run or two of The Binding of Isaac each day. I’ve gotten Mom’s Heart kills with just about everyone and a pair of Satan kills as well.

Got my first Boss Rush win today, which felt incredible, even if I *was* playing as Azazel with double Brimstone shots and 2-3 DMG+ items. 

I played some Loop Hero. I like it, the idea of the game is sound, but for me it just never quite lifted off and really went. I eventually got through the first boss but I felt it was a game where progress is so slow and incremental that I often feel like I'm not quite "getting it". Still enjoyed the 11 or so hours I've put into it and would be curious to see what the same team comes up with in the future, even if Loop Hero was slightly off the mark for me.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, Robert s said:

Danny O'Dwyer (who had been a Bombcast regular in recent months) will join the site parttime and apparently will both work on core content like quick looks as well as some independent projects (whatever that will be). 

I assume this means he'll be spending less time on his NoClip documentary channel on Youtube.  If so, that's incredibly disappointing.  NoClip are some of the best video game documentaries going.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

I assume this means he'll be spending less time on his NoClip documentary channel on Youtube.  If so, that's incredibly disappointing.  NoClip are some of the best video game documentaries going.

Not according to him. He put up a video saying that he's only spending roughly 8 hours a week on GB stuff and that the Noclip pipeline is unchanged. There are several things in the works over the summer.

EDIT: The video in question:

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Your code is safe, dudes.  No one cares about Frostbite.

If EA were smart and didn't use Frostbite for endless military shooters, they could do what Epic does with Unreal engine and teach people to use and build their own games with Frostbite engine.

Instead, DICE seems to be the only people who know how to use and make Battlefields with it.

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

If EA were smart and didn't use Frostbite for endless military shooters, they could do what Epic does with Unreal engine and teach people to use and build their own games with Frostbite engine.

Instead, DICE seems to be the only people who know how to use and make Battlefields with it.

Part of the Anthem debacle was apparently that Frostbite is just a massive asspain to develop for, so I don't think it has a future as a 3rd party engine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Part of the Anthem debacle was apparently that Frostbite is just a massive asspain to develop for, so I don't think it has a future as a 3rd party engine.

Same with DA:I. I said on Twitter that if a slew of new DA:I mods sudden appear on the Nexus mods site we'll know what happened. ?

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

Uhm, actually apparently someone did buy it. Stuff was released this past week.

?  

Last I heard the auction had been delisted by the hackers because they wanted a guaranteed that the buyer of the code would not try to re-sell it for profit and got no such obligation from presumptive bidders.

There is no honor amongst thieves.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

?  

Last I heard the auction had been delisted by the hackers because they wanted a guaranteed that the buyer of the code would not try to re-sell it for profit and got no such obligation from presumptive bidders.

There is no honor amongst thieves.

Well this always came across as a bs claim. The hackers were pretty blatantly trying to present themselves as good guys in that situation despite knowing damn well they were just being shitty. Even the guys who released everything had people purchasing passwords to access the info for charity.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Well this always came across as a bs claim. The hackers were pretty blatantly trying to present themselves as good guys in that situation despite knowing damn well they were just being shitty. Even the guys who released everything had people purchasing passwords to access the info for charity.

Aha!  The news that Cyberpunk 2077 data is being propagated through the web was leaked in part by a CDPR employee.

I believe that about as much as I believe the claims of widespread voter fraud in the last US presidential election or that the Illuminati is run by lizard people.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2