DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Hey its almost a year old but I finally played through Ghost of Tsushima and damn was it worth it. Just everything about it on the first playthrough was just what I wanted from a Samurai game including the entire "no one gets a happy ending" mantra to make it fee all Kurosawa-esque. Now it's on to Yakuza Like A Dragon before an attempt at New Game+

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 7

Oh, the wonders of working from home and it's been kind of slow recently.  I've been going a bit crazy with the new PC and have gotten back into Steam as well as Gamepass and EPIC Game Store (mainly for NBA 2K21 since it was free)

I've been mainly fucking around with most games but have my eye on GTA V and even RE Village.  But so far I've really been enjoying Action Arcade Wrestling, Tetris Effect, Kung Fu Kickball, and Heave Ho.  I haven't done much with Fire Pro after modding it due to needing some DLC packs to get updated rosters.  But I'm in no rush for that.

It's weird in that I almost feel like I'm playing catch up since I wouldn't say I've been the biggest gamer.  But you really can't go wrong with just downloading things off Game Pass and trying it out for a bit.  What a time to be alive.

• Like 1

Anyone else get a black postcard in the mail with the words "it's coming?".

One of amateur gaming types i follow on Twitter got one in the mail and asked (on Twitter) if anyone else had gotten one.  Speculation was that it was some sort of promotion by iam8bit or one of the other publishers that does limited run physical editions.

Got one this morning, delivered to work email.  Black postcard with the words "They're Coming?", a couple green symbols and two sets of numbers (one down the side).  Nothing to give a hint what this is about or who sent it.  Aside from Twitter speculation, nothing to make me think it's gaming related.  The postcard did have my office and floor number, which makes me think it was sent by someone I know personally or have bought from and wanted the package sent to my office.  Work-related office mail is addressed to our PO Box and gets redistributed by the mail room.   I don't use my office # much.

I used to buy physical editions from iam8bit, Limited Run Games, etc. so gaming connection seems likely.

Anyone know what this is about?  If it's a promotional tactic, it's not going to work on me.  I'm not much for cryptic mumbo jumbo.

If you have a burning desire to play/buy Hatoful Boyfriend, you only have a few more days

According to its creator, the game is going to be delisted from iOS, Android and the Playstation Store at the end of May due to "publishing agreements on those platforms are coming to an end"

You will be still be able to get it through Steam

Wheeeeee!

And yet ESO felt like a huge step backward in terms of how it handled.  It was somewhere between Morrowind & Oblivion, as far as I was concerned, and that's well beyond the "won't play this shit anymore" line for me.  Played it for about half as long as it took to download and then ejected it into space.

After a few incredibly frustrating bouts of trying to play Gwent on Witcher 3, I finally started buying cards and paying close enough attention to put a good deck together. Now I'm roflstomping my way across the continent for everyone's cards.  Sasha was the only challenging opponent I've seen in the last 30 matches I've done.  Kinda sucks there's a romance option locked behind Gwent crap, and another one locked behind the fistfighting mini-game, but I guess Geralt's gotta punch a lady in the face once in a while to get some action...

Edited by Contentious C

Play the various Shop/Inn Keepers you run into, they'll have unique cards for you. I preferred the Nilfgard deck once I got most of the cards since they Spy cards just allowed you to win via sheer numbers by the end.

God Of War late-pass: that fucking Valkyrie Queen... 35-40 tries later and it's done. I like a challenge but "so lopsided you basically have to luck out with the AI combinations" was lame. Boss fights should be tough but rewarding, not infuriating and "just glad I don't have to do that ever again."

Still an amazing game. Gimme Ragnarok. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

I've been bitten by The Binding of Isaac bug again. It's not a game I've put a zillion hours into, but whenever I start playing it, I can feel that sort of pull. Playing Rebirth on Xbox this time around (I only own Vanilla on Steam) and I'm running into a bunch of crashes. It might keep me from getting fully addicted, at least. It just ruined a run that I might have taken to my first kill of Mom's Heart. Blah. 

Has anybody beaten Enter the Gungeon? I've put way too many hours into it and I can barely get to the fifth chamber. I really am not good at video games. ? I was going to give up and move on with my life but I really enjoy the gameplay and it doesn't upset me when I die with few exceptions. But, uh, man... this game is kicking my ass. I've got the elevator to the third floor going but without any passive items or good guns it's pretty damn hard to not die relatively quickly. 

Since Biomutant didn't really pan out, yet, my daughter has started playing Subnautica. I'll play it with her too and it's a pretty cool survival game. The visuals are reality pretty at night since almost everything is bioluminescent. It does get boring though because it's always the same planet and you're just hunting for parts for your habitat.

That made me download The Outer Wilds for us because I heard nothing but good things about it. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. 

Subnautica is neat because it has an actual story to follow.  I'm looking forward to using Below Zero to fill the time between finishing ME and Horizon 2 coming out (assuming I don't go back to speed grinding RE8 and finally playing Star Ocean.)

• Like 1

Been playing the Scarlet Nexus demo.  Really looking forward to the full game.  It's basically Code Vein if Code Vein leaned into Nier: Automata instead of Dark Souls.  A lot of the Code Vein team worked on Scarlet Nexus.  Lot of people seem very excited for it.  Story seems interesting, action seems bonkers, two lead playable characters actually seem to play different, boss battles look to be solid.

Another obvious influence is Astral Chain,  Really, there are a lot of influences (God Eater, Freedom Wars), but it seems like Nexus may be able to stand on its own despite that.

Not sure what I'm going to dive in next,  Really want to get Xbox ports of Judgment and Octopath Traveler off my pile, so maybe start one of those tonight.

• Like 1

I have been looking for decent reviews of Scarlet Nexus.   The "near" Nier look of the game is somewhat off putting, so I appreciate your personal comments.  I trust the opinions coming from here more than I do the coming from the jungle of paid opinion givers.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have been looking for decent reviews of Scarlet Nexus.   The "near" Nier look of the game is somewhat off putting, so I appreciate your personal comments.  I trust the opinions coming from here more than I do the coming from the jungle of paid opinion givers.

I'll post about it after the full game is released,  It's probably going to be a day 1 play for me.  Reading up on the game and playing the demo has taken my interest level from 0 to 100 in a very short time.  I tend to gloss over Bandai Namco Studio games, but I feel like they're going to overachieve on this one.  I was really surprised to look at an ign poll last night and realize people were voting for Scarlet Nexus as most anticipated June release over Ratchet & Clank. FFVIII Intergrade, etc.

Biomutant patch is out.  I feel like this does a lot to polish some aspects of combat, fix pacing issues, and clean up the writing issues.  You now have some options about dialogue and narration (you can turn off the gibberish and/or narration), so it's a substantial first step.  I do wonder what my ceiling for this title is going to be,  I really like a lot about this game, but ultimately the side quests don't do me and the main story isn't overly involving.  There's only so much Experiment 101 can do to make the story more interesting, so...

In any case, there is a lot I do like.  The enemy designs are interesting, the character creation tools are a lot of fun,  Etc.  I respect Experiment 101's ambition, even though I think they needed to trim the game down.  There's just too much of everything here.  Too many systems, too many mechanics, too many tonal shifts, too many ideas.  At the end of the day, I'm planning to stick with this game and support it as much as possible just because I admire the ambition and creativity, but it's looking more likely the game is going to have flaws you can't fix with a patch. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Got far enough along in the 2nd Witcher 3 playthrough to be reminded of highlights and lowlights: the cutscene after the boss fight with Imlerith has to be one of the most METAL things in all of gaming, if not in general.  But it's weird that one of the quests that soon follows has that incredibly lame shared dream bit, which feels like something from a 90s FMV sequence and is easily the worst cutscene in a game full of cutscenes.  Think I'm just going to barrel through and start New Game Plus to see if it's any more difficult or enjoyable.  But I'm pretty sure at this stage I could never really do this on Blood & Broken Bones, let alone Death March.

I also spent a little time with Her Story, which I hadn't played in probably 3-4 years after the initial engrossing playthrough.  It's strange - but also kind of delightful - to be reminded there are games that want you to play them a certain way without necessarily forcing you to do so, by actually offering the true carrot of more rewarding gameplay if you do what you ought to, rather than cheese the system.  I've only put maybe 7 hours into it over the years, but I think it's my favorite notion of what a video game could be for the last 10-15 years.  That, or GRIS.  I suppose I should give their newer game a try at some point, as well as Return of the Obra Dinn.

Edited by Contentious C

So I've said before Witcher III was my favorite game of that generation and maybe ever, I saw it added to PS Now or GamePass or something and immediately wanted to play it again. Mind you two years ago I replayed it with all the DLC, probably 120+ hours. But it made me want to play it again just seeing the game icon on my screen ?.  I've liked other games since then of course but no game has really been able to suck me in like Witcher 3 did. Its not that I think the combat is perfect, but I just love the story and it kept me hooked for the entire time I played it. I miss it.

• Like 2

Playstation's indie sale on the store - fuck. I've already got Hellblade, both Batman Telltale games, SOMA and Bloodstained in my cart. I'm considering buying Disco Elysium: The Final Cut too. I don't need to buy these games, since I've still got the Mass Effect trilogy to complete, and then Ratchet & Clank next week... but I might do it anyway. Because I have no self control.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So I've said before Witcher III was my favorite game of that generation and maybe ever, I saw it added to PS Now or GamePass or something and immediately wanted to play it again.

PS Now just added it this month, but only until September.

Bored, on Reddit, decide to go to \TheLastOfUs2 and people are STILL posting hate, daily. To be simple and frank, holy shit what a bunch of fucking losers. 

Anyway NG+ soon for me now that I got the God Of War plat ?

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Bored, on Reddit, decide to go to \TheLastOfUs2 and people are STILL posting hate, daily. To be simple and frank, holy shit what a bunch of fucking losers. 

Anyway NG+ soon for me now that I got the God Of War plat ?

r/thelastofus is by the better subreddit. I started a NG+ on Grounded (fuck Permadeath) and holy shit is it hard.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

r/thelastofus is by the better subreddit. I started a NG+ on Grounded (fuck Permadeath) and holy shit is it hard.

Damn man, I couldn't put myself through that! And yeah I know the better sub but was just curious to see the last time the incels were crying about Abbie - I definitely didn't expect it to be still going on every day. 

12 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Damn man, I couldn't put myself through that! And yeah I know the better sub but was just curious to see the last time the incels were crying about Abbie - I definitely didn't expect it to be still going on every day. 

Have you never been on the internet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2