DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 3/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, Eoae said:

Sony appears to have taken the old version of the PSN store (which included the PS3 & Vita games) offline.  They were supposed to do that last year when they rolled out a new version of the store for the PS5 launch, but never did.  They did disable functionality, so you couldn't buy titles through your web browser.  Stores are still accessible from the apps on the PS3 and Vita, but I'm expecting an official announcement about their closing next week.

I'm still loading up my PS3 with digital titles though i'm not at all certain Sony's going to let me keep access to them.  We'll see. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the announcement was exactly what I expected.  Glad we can redownload our purchases for the foreseeable future.  I'm disappointed for game designers whose games are only available digitally on the PS3, but otherwise I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.  I'm intending to keep playing my PS3 regularly so I'm going to load up my PS3 with exclusives, swap out the hard drive, back everything digital up to a fresh hard drive as a precaution, and then do whatever it takes to keep the PS3 running.

Hoping Sony addresses the potential CMOS issue in some fashion, but, if not, there are solutions.  Not sure why people are using their minds about it.  Hardware breaks down.  My first-gen PS3 and Xbox 360 are long gone, and I don't feel a battery failure is any worse than the laser wearing out the laser on a PS2 or Dreamcast.  I'm replaced plenty of those over the years, or just bought a new console when I couldn't.

Guessing we'll start seeing refurbished PS3 consoles with new CMOS batteries on eBay before too long.

I am kinda turned off by Sony seemingly abandoning their legacy altogether, but I completely get the economics of it.  And a lot of their first-party games have been remastered for PS4, so....  It's another step towards Microsoft for me, though.  At the moment, I'm probably going to buy most multiplatform games for Xbox and pretty much use the PS5 for exclusives.

It's worth mentioning that Sony is rumored to be kicking around the idea of PS1, PS2, PS3 emulators, so we'll see what comes of that, if anything.  I'm kinda skeptical.  I think Microsoft's done pretty well trying to bring Xbox and 360 games forward, but there are still too many 360 games that I like that aren't b/c and were never remastered to unhook my 360 (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. Darkstalkers Resurrection, Remember Me, Street Fighter X Tekken and many more).

Rolled credits on DQXI. I will dip back in to tie up some loose ends, though. @J.T.How far gave you gotten?

Not sure if I just want to do that now, jump to another JRPG (Yakuza: Like a Dragon, in this case) or move on to Watch Dogs: Legion. I definitely needed a break from an open world after doing just about everything in Valhalla, but I may be ready for another. 

I should probably put a smaller game in there to buffer things even further, but I’m not sure what I’m actually in the mood to play. 

Thats on the console front, though. On PC, it’s all Loop Hero and (still) Slay the Spire. The wife is playing through Octopath Traveler via GamePass, so the TV tends to be claimed in the evenings. Both of those games are good distractions. 

Finished off the second DLC of the Outer Worlds last night. Without spoiling things I thought the story was handled well and the enemies were scaled properly. Kinda wish this game had  NG+ mode though. I've grabbed too many fun weapons and armor pieces by the end game that would be fun to use at the start (or close to it). 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:23 PM, Eoae said:

It's worth mentioning that Sony is rumored to be kicking around the idea of PS1, PS2, PS3 emulators, so we'll see what comes of that, if anything.  I'm kinda skeptical. 

I wish we had a PSP emulator, there were some amazing games out at the beginning to mid life cycle.

2 is better all around (even with the "play it through twice" vanilla campaign), but don't play that until you're done with 1, because the overall quality of life/gameplay improvements 2 has makes 1 *real* hard to roll back to.

• Thanks 1

So, apparently Sony didn't take time to give developers advance warning that they were shutting down the Vita shop and studios with games in development are left scrambling.  Some are canceling their projects, others are going to rush to get their games out.  At least one studio is angry because they recently got (purchased?) a development kit from Sony without being given a heads up.

I really didn't realize a number of Vita games were still in development.  I kind of knew that, because I follow EastAsiaSoft/Play Asia on Twitter, but I don't own a Vita and didn't pay much attention to their Vita release schedule.  It seems like the Vita, anyway, still had a small, but dedicated community still purchasing new games.  

20 hours ago, Eoae said:

So, apparently Sony didn't take time to give developers advance warning that they were shutting down the Vita shop and studios with games in development are left scrambling.  Some are canceling their projects, others are going to rush to get their games out.  At least one studio is angry because they recently got (purchased?) a development kit from Sony without being given a heads up.

I really didn't realize a number of Vita games were still in development.  I kind of knew that, because I follow EastAsiaSoft/Play Asia on Twitter, but I don't own a Vita and didn't pay much attention to their Vita release schedule.  It seems like the Vita, anyway, still had a small, but dedicated community still purchasing new games.  

I wonder if any of them will transition over the Switch development kits if they're super early in the process. 

• Like 1

So in addition to the Division Franchise bundle, I also got some other stuff earlier in the week.

• Dying Light is a zombie survival game that I can actually get into, unlike something like World War Z or whatever. The parkour type of traversal takes a little time to get used to, but it's actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it. It's probably a lot more fun with friends, but from what I've gathered looking at the servers, it's mostly dead these days.
  • Streets of Rage 4 is exactly what you'd expect. It's beautiful, the soundtrack is great stuff (does it change for each character? that's cool). I'll probably try to platinum this one.
  • Fractured Minds is a tiny little indie game about mental illness. It's basic, really short, but I believe all profits (or a portion, anyway) are donated to a mental illness charity, and it was under $2 so why the fuck wouldn't you grab this? Even at full price it's basically a cup of coffee, and it supports a good cause.
  • Now... I haven't installed Titanfall 2 yet, but a question: I've heard this one is way better than the first, so I grabbed it. But am I going to be fucking lost with the story? I have a feeling I will be.
  • Like 1

I mean, I got through Titanfall 2 without playing the first one and wasn't really lost.  I think you're playing a different character so there's only some background stuff that'll get filled in.

• Like 1

I got hard into Dying Light for a while, it's got such a steep learning curve but once you level up enough and aren't constantly being mauled, it's a lot of fun especially once you get a grappling hook. Night time is intense!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, I got through Titanfall 2 without playing the first one and wasn't really lost.  I think you're playing a different character so there's only some background stuff that'll get filled in.

Ahhh, that's good to know, thanks. Second game you've helped me out with this week! =P I'm excited to try it, I've heard really good things about the game.

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I got hard into Dying Light for a while, it's got such a steep learning curve but once you level up enough and aren't constantly being mauled, it's a lot of fun especially once you get a grappling hook. Night time is intense!

I'm a coward so I go put my character to sleep when the sun sets ? I've been brutalizing these zombies with the golfclub weapon that's a part of the Left 4 Dead weapon pack, or whatever. Hopefully at some point I'll get something other than a lead pipe or a nail board, though!

I also discovered, looking through my recently bought games, that I got The Order: 1886. It looked cool and neat, but I think the reviews were right down the middle. But, I mean, I'm also a guy that bought stuff like The Council and The Devil's Daughter because I can't control my money, so whatever!

• Like 1

Is anyone playing Outriders this weekend? It being on Gamepass and seeing some streams of it made me go "it's worth a download at least."

I feel bad for the playstation player base as I'm guessing any dual console players will probably opt to go with the free one. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Ahhh, that's good to know, thanks. Second game you've helped me out with this week! =P I'm excited to try it, I've heard really good things about the game.

I'm a coward so I go put my character to sleep when the sun sets ? I've been brutalizing these zombies with the golfclub weapon that's a part of the Left 4 Dead weapon pack, or whatever. Hopefully at some point I'll get something other than a lead pipe or a nail board, though!

Know how some games have your character get to being OP and things get less fun? I think this game's initial difficulty makes leveling up and getting more powerful weapons SO enjoyable. Eventually the nighttime isn't so bad, but even in the late game, Volatiles can be tough as hell - although there's a way to take them out! 

I grabbed the Lego Marvel Collection (or whatever the actual name of it is) for dirt cheap because I enjoy the LEGO games (especially for the brainlessness of them) and I am on a Marvel kick

Boy did it bring back the memories.

Been a long time since I had a marathon install that was across multiple discs

• Like 1

And the Outriders launch was as pretty much as big of a disaster as one expects now from games that require a constant internet connection.

As of last check - the servers were taken offline to fix things

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Outriders launch was as pretty much as big of a disaster as one expects now from games that require a constant internet connection.

As of last check - the servers were taken offline to fix things

Yea my brother and I plan on playing this but we already discussed waiting until the summer, to give them a chance to figure out everything and to give those that must play loot shooters 24 hours a day a chance to hopefully get their fill and chill a bit.

• Like 1

I was not terribly impressed with the Outriders demo.  It tries to be Destiny 2 and Gears of War 5 without doing either particularly well.

It is a cover shooter that encourages you NOT to use cover because the fastest way to regain health is by being aggressive and scoring multikills in a game world where soloing is ill advised thanks to the lopsided enemy counts and lousy boss fight mechanics.

How dumb is that?

It is a game for people who have friends who are stupid enough to buy the game to help them survive the encounters and improve the loot pool.

Oh, and there is inventory to micromanage.  50% of the shit you'll get will most likely be trade fodder or stuff you'll junk for resources. Yay..

And it's multiplayer, so there is no pause feature.  Enemies can still blast the crap out of you while you are in your inventory menu.  Fishing around to check the stats on that pair of boots that just dropped is a recipe for getting perished.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Oh, and there is inventory to micromanage.  50% of the shit you'll get will most likely be trade fodder or stuff you'll junk for resources. Yay..

I have less of a problem with this than you have in general because this is the price of business of playing a loot shooter. (Plus you hate owning more than like a dozen things total so you do way more shredding than I do)

But it is also a reason I really only play one of these type of games at a time. If I am juggling similar games it begins to fell like I am an interior designer.

That being said - it comes down to HOW the inventory system is handled. Like I have been indoctrinated long enough now that I find the Destiny system only a mild irritant (like why the fuck are blues still dropping for anyone?) where as I have always fucking hated the way the Borderlands game do it.

I'm not gonna necro the NMS thread, so I'll just drop it here, but they just dropped an update for No Man's Sky that added community goals and a new mode, and did more texture reworking to make the game look better.  Oh and did a bunch of Quality of Life fixes that made the game less grindy.

Seriously, why can't most studios work like Hello Games.

• Like 3

Sony's upcoming shutdown of the PS3/Vita/PSP storefront is really disappointing. According to VGC, there will be over 2200 games on PSN that will be lost forever unless Sony figures out a way to bring those games forward to PS4/PS5 or leave the store open. That's not to mention other regions (Japan will lose over 700 PS1/PS2 classics native to its region and UK will lose quite a few PS1/PS2 classics that never were released in the US).

I'm hoping there will be enough pressure on Sony to leave the stores open, but I somewhat doubt that will happen. For Sony, focusing on PS5 and its bare minimum library with games being delayed constantly is their future.