DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I have a bunch of random systems sitting in my mom's basement (Sega Master System, Genesis, slim PS2, Dreamcast, Wii) not sure on the functional status of some of them.

I've rented movies from the PSN store when they had sales. I remember renting Sicario for like $.50 or something silly like that.

I've had 2 XBOX360s die on me now and only 3 of my games for it work on XBOXOne so that's a bummer. Have a Hyperkin Retron to play my Genesis/NES/SNES collection. my PS2 doesn't work as well as it used to so I've been thinking about picking up an original Playstation just to play some of those old games. 

@JLSigmanI am having trouble figuring out one Old Republic thing and you seem like you'd know for sure. I get that if I subscribe at some point, it unlocks all the current expansions forever and raises my level cap to 75. If I then drop the sub and go back to being a Preferred Player, does the level cap stay at 75 for any new characters?

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

@JLSigmanI am having trouble figuring out one Old Republic thing and you seem like you'd know for sure. I get that if I subscribe at some point, it unlocks all the current expansions forever and raises my level cap to 75. If I then drop the sub and go back to being a Preferred Player, does the level cap stay at 75 for any new characters?

Yes - Here's a link to a reddit thread. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not really a pinball fan, but I have the Zen Pinball games spread across multiple consoles and probably own most of the dlc on one platform or another.  They're easy to fall into and, yeah, very addicting.

Unboxed my PS TV last night and realized I never got around to buying a memory card for it.  Oops.  Ordered a memory card this morning, so hopefully I'l be able to download a couple Vita games to it by the beginning of the week.  Not a lot on the platform I really want, but there are a few Vita originals I badly want to have digital access to.  Muramasa Rebirth, A Rose in the Twilight, Firefly Diaries, Freedom Wars, etc.  PS TV was a neat way to bring Vita games to console gamers who don't enjoy handhelds that much, but Sony never really seemed committed to the idea.  They were haphazard about patching in support so that a lot of games that could work on PSTV don't unless you hack your console.  Annddd anything that relies too heavily on the Vita touchscreen controls is a no go, so no Gravity Rush or Tearaway.  I wish PSTV had supported PS3 dualshock and a specially-designed controller along the lines of the WII U gamepad, but I guess the interest wasn't there.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Anyone else play pinball games?  I've been addicted to them lately. The Marvel Packs, the Fox cartoon ones, The Universal studios.  They are addicting as hell. 

I've been playing pinball on consoles and computers for almost 40 years.  Started with Pinball Construction Set and Night Mission Pinball on the Apple II.  I like Zen Pinball for the most part, especially Sorceror's Lair and the Williams recreations.  I like The Pinball Arcade less so because of the horrible interface and bugs.  And I've got a bunch of games for PC that are great as well - the whole Pro Pinball series, Wicked Pinball, Demon's Tilt, etc.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Count me in on the pinball enthusiasm. 

Last one I picked up was Star Wars pinball for the Switch. 

Haven't played that one in a minute because my progress was stuck on one if the game modes trying to figure out how to do a light saber battle. 

Don't remember anything like that from the PC version. 

Got hooked on Blaseball today, because of the Defector article about it. I'm only vaguely aware of what's going on and the Discord is....a lot to get through, but I fucking love it. Los Angeles Unlimited Tacos for life

I'm probably going to buy a jersey because just look at this amazing thing:

wqaXJIk.png

Edited by elizium
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If I won the lottery, id def get that monster bash Universal monsters pinball machine. 

I am leaning real hard toward picking up the Attack From Mars one but am waiting for easier mods or ways to add more tables.  

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Somebody on NVC was talking about Blaseball last week as well. It definitely sounds interesting at least.

I heard about Blaseball on Giantbomb a few months ago. I'd forgotten about it. I should check it out.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:34 AM, Tabe said:

I am leaning real hard toward picking up the Attack From Mars one but am waiting for easier mods or ways to add more tables.  

I've been hearing lots of of bad things about the Arcade1up pinballs.  Like people getting boxes that don't even have all of the parts.

That being said, if I had the space for one, I'd get one or the AtGames table.  I love pinball and I really miss not being able to play real tables now.

For the console versions, I prefer Pinball Arcade/Stern Pinball versus Zen.

12 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I bought myself Hades, so now it sits in my Steam folder of shame with a couple dozen other things I've bought and then not played (or only played a minute of).

There's a tremendous multi-part documentary on YouTube by noclip about the making of that game. Highly recommended, especially the last episode. Also, EVERYTHING noclip does is highly recommended. 

• Like 3

Yeah Noclip are stellar. It's so nice to see really talented professionals choose to focus their talents on telling the stories of this industry. It was inevitable someone would do it eventually but I'm just glad that time is now.

The Noclip doc on the death and rebirth of Final Fantasy XIV is just so, so good. And that's about par for them overall.

Once again, I will also say Hades is just such a fantastic game. It's like the cumulation of years worth of experimentation in the roguelike genre to produce something that just feels insanely polished, and it's a game with really surprising depth where you are really sure you've seen what the game is and it will add one more layer. It paces out that one extra layer better than any other game of the style that I've seen. Also I put like 40-50 hours into it before moving on for now to other things and I was still regularly hitting new dialogue; that story end of the game really, really separates it from the pack. I honestly could not come up with a single major critique of it.

• Like 2

So I have gone old school and started playing Dragon Quest IX while waiting for the Cyberpunk 2077 1.2 patch and it is a lot of fun.  I now have the Fun Size Forge to obsess over.  Damn.

Edited by J.T.

30 minutes ago, Ryan said:

If DQ IX is old school, I must be about 75. *shakes cane*

Yeah, apparently it's old school because the kids these days hate turn based combat in RPGs

Does anyone still look at the Wii U eshop?  I mean, assuming anyone looked at it in the first place, which seems debatable.  I still like the Wii U for its first-party lineup and virtual console, but the eshop looks like mostly a shovelware graveyard to me.  Would like to find a few good digital games that aren't available for Xbox or PlayStation..  So far, all I've got on the console aside from first-party games is Pushmo World, Affordable Space Adventures, and Rayman Legends (originally designed for Wii U gamepad and was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive).

Year Walk?  Though i think that was delisted.  If anyone has any suggestions for under-the-radar Wii U digital games, let me know.  Almost has to be an obscure Wii U exclusive or something that was ported from PC or handheld, though.

So if I'm really hankering for a newer JRPG and aren't sold on replaying my modded out the ass and upscaled FF7 and 9 PC versions, DQ IX is the way to go?

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, apparently it's old school because the kids these days hate turn based combat in RPGs

Does hating turned based RPGs work like the fountain of youth?  The arthritis in my right foot is flaring up something awful (turns out breaking every bone in there at least once is bad - who knew?), and I could use that fountain right about now.  I already hate most of em, and I guess I could train myself to hate KOTOR.