DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

So, the reports of Gamestop's demise were premature.

Hedge fund managers have been short selling Gamestop stock and betting against the survival of the company.  This has led to an Reddit-fueled online campaign egged on by Elon Musk to buy the lowballed shares which has led to Gamestop's stock price rising over 400%.

I think the price has risen 100% In the last few days of trading.

There seems to be a similar plan in the works to buy up AMC Entertainment stocks in order to bail out the beleaguered theater chain.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So, the reports of Gamestop's demise were premature.

Hedge fund managers have been short selling Gamestop stock and betting against the survival of the company.  This has led to an Reddit-fueled online campaign egged on by Elon Musk to buy the lowballed shares which has led to Gamestop's stock price rising over 400%.

I think the price has risen 100% In the last few days of trading.

To put this in perspective, a share of Gamestop stock could be had for $2 or $3 last spring (2020).  It traded below $5 for most of 2020 and was valued a little under $20 a share at the end of the year.  On Monday, it closed at $76.xx a share.  A few minutes ago, it was trading at $296/share.

But, yeah, the company's still floundering and doesn't have much to recommend it once the PS5 and XBSX surge is over.

I dabbled in short selling years ago.  Lost a fair bit fairly quickly and was convinced by my broker to get out and stay out.

Edited by Eoae

As a followup, https://kotaku.com/gamestop-stock-drama-continues-as-price-soars-and-hedge-1846141246

“Melvin Capital closed out its short position in GameStop on Tuesday afternoon after taking a huge loss,” the fund’s manager told CNBC this morning.

The firm, which was worth about $12.5 billion before the battle between short sellers and Redditors began, bet big against GameStop and a number of other companies, only to see 30% of the fund disappear over the last few days. That prompted other billionaires to swoop in and lend Melvin $2.75 billion to help cover the losses. Andrew Left, a notorious short-seller activist, also announced in a new YouTube video today that his investment firm moved away from most of its bets against GameStop’s stock at “a loss of 100%.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

None of this is going to save any of the companies they are doing it for.

All it is going to do is cost rich people money

Is it wrong that I'm ok/slightly happy with it costing rich people money?

• Like 4

On 1/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Neil Koch said:

You can skip them, if I remember right it's press start and then X.

Thank you for this, it's made the game more tolerable if slightly less comprehensible.  I'm still early on but I'm having fun with it.

The Rooney Rule has ensured that some advances have been made, but it's hardly been a success story for the NFL.  Minority representation among head coaches/gm's has been abysmally low in recent years.  And it's put some experienced coaches (and assistants who deserved interviews and got legitimate interviews elsewhere) in the awkward position of either turning down interviews or going in for token interviews.  

I'm not terribly in favor or minority quotas for EVERY position.  I assume I'll get canceled for saying that, but it does seem unworkable.  There should be a broad-based system in place ensuring that minority candidates get fair consideration for a representative number of job openings (the majority of most open positions, maybe the vast majority).  I'd prefer to see actual hirings simply be made of the basis of "best available candidate" but that's probably a pipe dream so there should be some measure in place to assure sufficient representation by women, people of color, LGBT candidates, etc.

In general, I feel like strategies where change is forced are destined to fail.  You can require Blizzard to interview a minority candidate for every position, but you're setting yourself up for a backlash.  Either HR finds other, more subtle ways to discourage minorities from applying and accepting jobs (and that might just as damaging) or they conduct a lot of token interviews and resent it.   I've always thought incentivizing diversity would be more effective than requiring it (which is often going to breed resentment), but really change needs to take place in society and bleed into the workplace, not the other way around.

Edited by Eoae
fixed two typos

Well this is interesting...https://www.polygon.com/2021/1/28/22254376/tomb-raider-25th-anniversary-canon-timeline-crystal-dynamics

Down the road, said franchise game director Will Kerslake, “We envision a future of Tomb Raider unfolding after these established adventures” — referring to both the Core Design-developed games (1996’s Tomb Raider through 2003’s Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness) and the series in the hands of Crystal Dynamics since 2006’s Tomb Raider: Legend.

Although Crystal Dynamics has no major game announcement to make “in the near future,” the studio is “working to unify these timelines,” Kerslake said.

“With Tomb Raider’s extensive history, this is not an easy task, and we ask for your patience as we go through the development process,” he added.

• Like 1

Ninja Theory has announced that it will stop updating Bleeding Edge

They say it will remain playable Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC but if you are trophy hunting you might wanna get your stuff in sooner rather than later

On 1/24/2021 at 12:18 AM, AaronMLuke said:

It will be worth it. Getting Mjollnir was no walk in the park either. 

Not to go back too far in the thread, but here is my issue with games that do this - getting the weapons, even with a guide, is time consuming. By the time 99% of gamers are doing it, its towards the end game, or after the end game. When I beat AC, I could have been dual wielding a branch and a butter knife and killed anything I wanted. So, basically gamers are taking hours and hours to get admittedly cool items, that they don't even need since there is no challenge in combat left anyway. So they use them a few times to kill a bear and say "wow that was cool!" then they have to wait for the DLC to maybe really use them properly. Although still not need them.

So I guess what I am saying is I'd rather they made these things a little more accessible, and easier to access around mid-game, so fans of the game aren't going through all the hassle to get weapons they don't actually need to help them with defeating anything left in the game.

• Like 2

My issue with Vahalla is right now, the last area in the game needs a TON of grinding to get to, I'm already EIGHTY hours in, and there's STILL DLC in the works that'll take hours.

That's just too fucking much.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:20 PM, Chaos said:

Or William Hung on American Idol. 

Or John Scott making the NHL All-Star game after being traded and demoted to prevent it. And then won the MVP.