DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Has anyone played Spiritfaire yet? 

I had forgotten about it until I started watching year end reviews. 

Prob need something new after I finally finish with Age of Calamity.  

Do you mean Spiritfarer?  I played it and found it to be charming and fun.  The gameplay loop is kind of basic, but I couldn't stop playing it once I started.  

Speaking of, has anyone played Immortals Fenyx Rising?  I've been playing it and  have to say, this game is tons of fun and I find myself going back to do one more vault, or climbing to get one more piece of ambrosia to add another health segment.  I've heard all the criticisms about this being it being a Breath of the Wild clone and how the humor doesn't always hit, and I can't really even argue with that...but it is all incredibly fun to play.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Do you mean Spiritfarer?  I played it and found it to be charming and fun.  The gameplay loop is kind of basic, but I couldn't stop playing it once I started. 

Yeah, I wish it was a smidge on sale.

I have absolutely loved my time so far playing Fenyx Rising. I'm about 15 hours and feel like I've just barely scratched the surface. I don't mind the humor, it kinda reminds me of Ratchet and Clank as far as that goes. The world is beautiful though and the combat is pretty fun. The PS5 version came with my digital copy and I can't wait to try it out whenever I actually find a PS5.

I was going to post about Immortals: Fenyx Rising yesterday and got side-tracked and never finished the post.  Yeah, I started it earlier this week and am really liking it. My expectations were kind of low, so it's really over-delivered.  I'm not entirely sure it doesn't belong in my top 10 for 2020.  11-20 seems a better fit, but I dunno that there were 10 games I enjoyed more last year.  I'd prefer it without the humor, but I feel like they made some narrative choices to try to distinguish it from Breath of the Wild.  Apparently, early builds of the game were veerrrryyy similar to Breath of the Wild

Also highly recommend Spiritfarer.

OT, I didn't realize until today that USGamer shut down.  I don't really have much of an opinion on the site as a whole.  It seemed ok, but the content was largely the same as other sites I use or follow on social media.  But, I've been a fan of their RPG podcast for a couple years now and have met the former EIC a few times in person.  Feel bad for her, since the job market for gaming journalists seems a little oversaturated right now due to layoffs at other outlets.  Also, she was one of the journos posting her salary on social media a few months back and commenting how she was underpaid compared to people in similar positions in mainstream journalism and how she really couldn't afford to live in SF even on her reasonably high salary.

Borrowed Miles Morales from the library. I'm not sure I've ever had more fun with the basic movement in a game as I have this and Spider-Man before it. They absolutely nailed the webslinging in every way possible. Though it doesn't feel like it'll be a long story, I'm all in on it. Good writing, with a character I genuinely like, whose motivations I understand. Lots of heart

Gameplay-wise, I think the Venom powers make the combat a little more varied/interesting, but I've had to force myself to *not* be stealthy, because it's just as easy to Batman it up and take out everyone without them even knowing that you're around. I feel like the first game broke stealth much more quickly. I thought it was to that game's benefit, but I might be in the minority there. The stealth isn't unfun, even, but the combat is so dynamic that I don't want to avoid it.

I was glad to take a break from Valhalla. I've hit that point where my OCD style of clearing the map has sorta bored me on the game as a whole. I feel like I'm only halfway done and that seems impossible because it feels like I've been playing the game FOREVER. I'll need to find something else to play before I start Watch Dogs: Legion, I think. I might be Ubi'd out at the moment.

• Like 2

I've been playing The Last Of Us Part II, and I'm up to the part where you're playing as Abby, at the coast, going after Owen. Now up until maybe an hour before this, I was really into this game, but all of the sudden you're switched to Abby (which is a perfectly fine character) but I wanted to do more as Ellie going after Abby. But now I'm doing flashbacks as Abby. For a good, long while now. Without spoiling it, do I get to play as Ellie again or is it Abby from here until the end of the game? And does it just end when the game is done, or can you keep playing somehow? At the very beginning I missed the first safe, so that's fuckin' annoying.

But, anyway, this is a masterpiece (so far). How they keep going from where I am in the game to the end remains to be seen, but everything with Ellie is just note perfect for me. A revenge tale in 4(ish) parts, the combat is super satisfying, I legit had jump out of my chair shock moments, and above everything else, I just love Ellie. I'm guessing the incels and trolls online hated this game because she's bi or lesbian (not clear, probably the latter), you kill a bunch of dudes as a badass woman, Abby is more physically imposing than 99% of these haters IRL, etc.

Oh and it's so weird how I can pinpoint exactly who Ashly Burch is playing just because of her voice (and that I'm obsessed with two franchises she's a part of probably doesn't help), but I had no idea who Troy Baker voices until literally just now. He sounds nothing like himself, that's crazy.

• Like 2

I'm sort of waiting around for another big release that I want to play, so I started playing through Ghost of Tsushima again on PS5. I can't tell much re: the FPS difference from PS4, but apparently, the combat is a lot smoother. That game is still great. I also started inFamous: Second Son again to contrast, and that game is just silly fun. I'm taking them both very slowly. 

Other than that, there's PES 21, PBA Bowling 21 (don't buy this if you already own the first one - and I say this as someone who isn't mad that he bought it for PS5 because he had the first one on Switch), and Animal Crossing to play for a bit each day. I still haven't missed a day in Animal Crossing.

I might get that there Super Mario 3D World when it comes out. Maybe. 

You guys have nearly convinced me to get Immortals Rising for my daughter since she's a huge Breath of the Wild fan. Maybe after she beats Age of Calamity and Horizon Zero Dawn I'll get it for her.

Battlefield V turned into a helluva game once those Pacific theatre maps were released. Feels like classic BF 1942 modernized and I love it. Trying to convince friends to play it has been tough so far but the squad feature makes it the perfect fps game to play with the homies. 

Nintendo has bought Next Level Games

They are clearly familiar with their work as Next Level Games developed Luigi Mansion 3 and Super Mario Strikers (among other Nintendo titles)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Nintendo has bought Next Level Games

They are clearly familiar with their work as Next Level Games developed Luigi Mansion 3 and Super Mario Strikers (among other Nintendo titles)

I kind of assumed Nintendo already owned an interest.  Next Level's last game for non-Nintendo console was Captain America: Super Soldier, which released in 2011.

The studio's 3DS games were rather good.  Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon might be even better than the Switch game (and I liked the Switch outing a lot).

That's a good purchase for Nintendo. I don't think I've liked an NLG game outside of Punch-Out!! Wii, but they make well-received games in general, so yeah, good get. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:05 AM, Casey said:

I've been playing The Last Of Us Part II, and I'm up to the part where you're playing as Abby, at the coast, going after Owen. Now up until maybe an hour before this, I was really into this game, but all of the sudden you're switched to Abby (which is a perfectly fine character) but I wanted to do more as Ellie going after Abby. But now I'm doing flashbacks as Abby. For a good, long while now. Without spoiling it, do I get to play as Ellie again or is it Abby from here until the end of the game? And does it just end when the game is done, or can you keep playing somehow? At the very beginning I missed the first safe, so that's fuckin' annoying.

But, anyway, this is a masterpiece (so far). How they keep going from where I am in the game to the end remains to be seen, but everything with Ellie is just note perfect for me. A revenge tale in 4(ish) parts, the combat is super satisfying, I legit had jump out of my chair shock moments, and above everything else, I just love Ellie. I'm guessing the incels and trolls online hated this game because she's bi or lesbian (not clear, probably the latter), you kill a bunch of dudes as a badass woman, Abby is more physically imposing than 99% of these haters IRL, etc.

Oh and it's so weird how I can pinpoint exactly who Ashly Burch is playing just because of her voice (and that I'm obsessed with two franchises she's a part of probably doesn't help), but I had no idea who Troy Baker voices until literally just now. He sounds nothing like himself, that's crazy.

It's a fun game. Both Last Of Us games are games I've played through completely which is a rarity for me. I believe the majority of the outcry in the game has to do with Joel to be honest.  As you will see and have seen this is an extremely long story to play through but is worth it. You will get to play as Ellie and Abby as the game tends to do more back and forth flashbacks nearing the end. 

I don’t know how I would feel about this.  I’m kind of an Xbox fan, but the idea of Xbox Game Studios publishing Mario and Zelda titles seem odd.  Not sure that would sit well with me.  I kinda prefer Nintendo as the biglittle company that largely does its own thing.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

I played Greedfall for 5 minutes and promptly deleted it. Maybe I'm missing something great, but I get the feeling I'm not.

I don't know that I'd call it great, but I thought Greedfall was solidly entertaining.  I thought it was one of the more underrated games from 2019. 

My PS5 was delivered today.  Hadn't planned to upgrade yet, but my PS4 Pro met a sudden untimely end at the hands of an 8-year-old with a big glass of juice.  Kinda wanted to buy another Pro, but all the stores and websites I checked were out of stock and the rumor is the Pro and most models of the slim are being discontinued, so it's not certain stores will get new stock.  The number of scalpers on eBay selling the Pro for more than retail seem to indicate it may be gone for good.

Anyway, it's sort of hard to justify spending $400+ on the Pro in 2021 when the PS5 is basically Pro+.  So, yeah, PS5 owner.  I'll be checking it out tonight.  I'm kinda glad I tend to be highly organized.  The games I want to carry over to PS5 had already been moved to external HDD's (I've got a couple of the licensed 2TB Seagate drives on hand).  The Pro's internal storage basically had game saves (also backed up) and about 150 GB of indie games that I bought for PS4 then later decided I wanted on another console.  Not much worth re-downloading there since the Switch became my go-to console for indie games last year.

I played Miles Morales and The Pathless on the Pro.  Kinda curious to upgrade to the next gen versions and see how great the difference is.

• Like 1