DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, they are not happy stories.   You definitely need to unplug every once in a while and watch something fun before extended viewing crushes your soul.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

The tweet is absolutely correct and I was not ready for what was coming.

Took me way too long to realize what everyone was losing their minds over. Specifically, the weeaboos.

I don't think I mentioned it when the last season even aired but the Narco Wars series on Nat Geo is incredible. Columbia was first season, Mexico second, and it really ties together threads that I'd heard about but couldn't do on my own. The craziest episode is probably about the Knights Templar who ended up a Mexican drug cult -- a literal cult/cartel -- who had to finally be pushed out by the civilians because the government couldn't do it. Now they're doing a third season based on drug dealers of the American Mafia, currently airing.

Speaking of Nat Geo apparently Gordon Ramsey decided to bite off the absence of Tony Bourdain and do his own travel show. I like him even less now.

EDIT: I'm surprised they haven't covered the Camorra/Sicilian Cosa Nostra/La N'drangheta yet but I presume that will be fourth season. Also, I'm watching that Knights Templar episode right now and apparently there is a real functioning Cobra Assault Cannon from Robocop that exists in our world. Different name, looks the same, acts the same. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

My daughter turns 3 next week. In the last 3 years she has roped me in to watching lots of stuff and in turn she has been exposed to certain films and shows her small child mind can't grasp yet. This beung said, when she got tired of thousands Baby Shark videos and songs on Prime, shepointedto a show I'd never heard of called Dino Dana and I must say it has not only kept Sandra Violet enthralled bbut even have gotten charmed by it. Heck it's educational so it's better than the night I had her watchEscape From New York with me (The Wife was NOT amused with that one).

James

Personally, I think its kinda fucked up that she’s being labeled with this “KKK queen” bullshit when that’s quite plainly NOT what it was.  Not even the articles people are citing as evidence of how weird the group is actually say it’s in any way affiliated with the KKK, or any other hate group.  Like every white club/social group/secret society in America, if you go back far enough in its history, you’re going to find sketchy, if not downright nefarious, racial stuff going on, but whatever this particular group was up to in 1870 has precious little to do with what the group was by the time Kemper was 19 years old, like 30 or so years after it was (apparently) integrated, no less.

Social media was a mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, Eoae said:

Has Clarice been any good?  I've watched practically no network tv this season.

I watched the first three or so episodes a few weeks back. The lead does really well with her portrayal of Jodie Foster's version of the character and would have been a good fit had Hannibal ever gotten a Silence of the Lambs season. Other than that it's just another police procedural. You could call it pretty much anything else and it would be the same show.

Last weekend I decided to give Animal Kingdom a try and am just starting the second season. So far it's held my interest and is kind of giving me Sons of Anarchy (before it went down the flush bucket) vibes almost. Does anyone else watch it or know if it stays consistently good?

On 5/27/2021 at 2:49 AM, The Natural said:

I don't tend to watch TV shows. I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Cheers and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As Friends Reunion is a twitter trend, I watched a handful of episodes and it didn't do it for me. Neither did Rick and Morty.

I always half-ass assumed Watchmen would get you into the prestige TV drama deal eventually, just based on he comic element. And it is great, so that recommendation stands.

Never got into Friends myself. I was amused by Ross in the leather pants back in the day. That's all I've got on that.

I think the cumulative effect of Gandolfini's performance on The Sopranos makes his my favourite screen performance of all time. He's playing in rarified air for TV drama with Cranston on Breaking Bad. If you ever feel the need to dip your toe in this pool, both those shows are a perfect meeting of well-earned critical acclaim and popular entertainment. Those would be ideal starting points. Especially Sopranos. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I always half-ass assumed Watchmen would get you into the prestige TV drama deal eventually, just based on he comic element. And it is great, so that recommendation stands.

Never got into Friends myself. I was amused by Ross in the leather pants back in the day. That's all I've got on that.

I think the cumulative effect of Gandolfini's performance on The Sopranos makes his my favourite screen performance of all time. He's playing in rarified air for TV drama with Cranston on Breaking Bad. If you ever feel the need to dip your toe in this pool, both those shows are a perfect meeting of well-earned critical acclaim and popular entertainment. Those would be ideal starting points. Especially Sopranos. 

Watchmen is one I do need to see having read the brilliant book. Thanks for the reminder and the other recommendations.

Thank you also to @christopher.annino for Justified.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hope you enjoy it when you get there, buddy. Hopefully I can pivot you from that to The Leftovers. ? 

Cheers, mate. Watchmen to The Leftovers which I know nothing about.

How's Invincible? I'm aware of the creators of the comic, that's about it.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, mate. Watchmen to The Leftovers which I know nothing about.

How's Invincible? I'm aware of the creators of the comic, that's about it.

Can't say yet. Between it and MODOK, I've got some modestly well-reviewed cape stuff available to me in the near future. 

Re: Leftovers, the showrunner there is responsible for the HBO Watchmen series and its style of storytelling. So if you dig it, seasons two and three of the Leftovers will be your jam. For sure. He was also there for season one, but they found surer footing for season two when they reverted largely to the type of storytelling which worked for him on Lost and then jazzed it up for a premium presentation. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 1