DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, AxB said:

In the book Jack Reacher is 6'5" and built like a wall. Tom Cruise is a foot too short, and like half the bodyweight that Reacher should have.

Yeah Teacher is the ultimate impossible white man in the books. He's basically what would happen if Stallone and Schwarzenegger had a blue eyed, blonde haired son who joined the military and got all the specialized training from every branch. Then he decided to become a drifter like Caine from Kung Fu.

I've only read one Jack Reacher book so somebody more well versed than myself can answer better, but that trailer doesn't feel true to the character either does it? I think I imagined some kind of mix of a white Idris Elba in stature with a no nonsense get-things-done Jason Bourne type, but here's he's a dude with a six pack cracking jokes. Maybe that's how he is in most of the books? I think someone like Holt McCallany (who played a bad guy in one of the films) would've been a good fit.

Why, when the second season of Jack Ryan fucking sucked?

Anyway, I've given Wheel of Time something of a long leash so far, but the most recent episode ran RIDICULOUSLY against character in a way I have a problem with.  Lan is supposed to be the stoic, badass swordsman who just goes and fixes the shit needing to be fixed, no frills, no explanations, no excuses.  I get giving him a lot more dialogue so the audience has more of a reason to give a shit about him, but the last episode ended with another Warder's death (something not in the books, since that character was apparently already dead 20 years prior).  There's a funeral for the guy, and they have Lan just weep like a fucking baby and howl by the end of the proceedings.  I mean, what the fuck??? 

Edited by Contentious C

56 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So... Succession...

Hide contents

I'm going with it's not a cliffhanger and he's not dead? Was surprised to see people talking about it that way. 

Yeah, I didn't see it that way, but I could understand why others would. 

Credit to everyone making this show for making me feel bad for these complete and total pieces of shit. I think I may like Tom the most, but he's so fucking spineless.

Still, that ending with Roman. Wow. Also, the ultra creepy moment between Shiv and Gerri.

41 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Is anyone else watching Yellowjackets? If so do you also get bored during the present day stuff?

I am watching.  Talking about it in the Horror forum.

• Like 1

The Live in Front of a Studio Audience last night was a disappointment, Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes with who they cast seemed like a home run, but the episodes they used and not going full satire made it a bore. All in the Family, Goood Times, and The Jeffersons worked in this format due to being groundbreaking and hitting on topics modern day TV would run from, an episode of Facts of Life were Blair and Natalie make a nerd sad and a Diff'rent Strokes were Willis wants some privacy, weren't groundbreaking or even that funny. Snoop Dog made a cameo on the Diff'rent Strokes episode and I totally thought it was one where Willis tried weed, it wasn't! Kathryn Hahn not getting the memo that it wasn't a full satire in her take on Jo was a highlight though.

They missed the boat by not going with one of the many "Very Special Episodes" that both series had tons of, sure they might want to stay away from the Dudley gets molested by the Big Guy from WKRP episode but there's the Nancy Reagan episode that could have been a home run, or cast Ed Sheeran and do the Sam gets kidnapped episode.

43 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The Live in Front of a Studio Audience last night was a disappointment, Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes with who they cast seemed like a home run, but the episodes they used and not going full satire made it a bore. All in the Family, Goood Times, and The Jeffersons worked in this format due to being groundbreaking and hitting on topics modern day TV would run from, an episode of Facts of Life were Blair and Natalie make a nerd sad and a Diff'rent Strokes were Willis wants some privacy, weren't groundbreaking or even that funny. Snoop Dog made a cameo on the Diff'rent Strokes episode and I totally thought it was one where Willis tried weed, it wasn't! Kathryn Hahn not getting the memo that it wasn't a full satire in her take on Jo was a highlight though.

They missed the boat by not going with one of the many "Very Special Episodes" that both series had tons of, sure they might want to stay away from the Dudley gets molested by the Big Guy from WKRP episode but there's the Nancy Reagan episode that could have been a home run, or cast Ed Sheeran and do the Sam gets kidnapped episode.

I read an article with Norman Lear with him saying they purposely picked lighthearted episodes because the "world has enough problems."  They would have never done the Bicycle Man show anyway, it was a two-parter.  It was pretty obvious which Strokes episode it would be with Hart's Super Arnold costume.

I thought the Facts of Life was okay.  The surprise cameos were the only fun part about it, and even then it took me WAY too long to figure out who the last surprise was. 

Strokes did a lot more with what they had.  Lithgow carrying Hart across the kitchen like he was an actual child was a highlight.  

I thought they didn't work because the actors were way too old but (as posted above) they were still taking the episodes "seriously".

Also, having watched some of the original episodes recently on channels like MeTV, they're not that good shows to begin with.  They were corny at the time and pretty awful now.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, Contentious C said:

Why, when the second season of Jack Ryan fucking sucked?

Anyway, I've given Wheel of Time something of a long leash so far, but the most recent episode ran RIDICULOUSLY against character in a way I have a problem with.  Lan is supposed to be the stoic, badass swordsman who just goes and fixes the shit needing to be fixed, no frills, no explanations, no excuses.  I get giving him a lot more dialogue so the audience has more of a reason to give a shit about him, but the last episode ended with another Warder's death (something not in the books, since that character was apparently already dead 20 years prior).  There's a funeral for the guy, and they have Lan just weep like a fucking baby and howl by the end of the proceedings.  I mean, what the fuck??? 

I kind of disagree, but understand your point.  I always read Lan as stoic, but not unfeeling.  There is a lot in the books that shows how much he cares about the Two Rivers bunch, even while he's a stone faced, brooding, bad ass.  In the books he is stoic, but I always felt like it's because he's very serious about his duty.  He knows the evil they are fighting against as much as anyone in the entire world, and takes his responsibility seriously.  He is a warder fighting on the first line against The Shadow.  There isn't a lot of opportunity for him to let his emotions take over.  I don't see him breaking down crying like that where just anyone could see, but in that room, at that time, surrounded by that very particular group of peers, I can see it.  They were just in a battle where every single person in that room should have died.  They just buried so many of their peers, and he did everything he could to try to save his friend, but it wasn't enough.  He knows the sacrifice he made when he bonded with an Aes Sedai, and he knows just how easy it could have been for him and/or Moraine to have been in that exact position.  

21 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If you were on team "Fuck Netflix Bebop" congrats, Netflix canceled S2 

The way Hollywood Reporter puts it - it had good numbers the first week that cratered the second week and because it was really expensive too, it wasn't worth doing a second season

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

If you were on team "Fuck Netflix Bebop" congrats, Netflix canceled S2 

Thank you.  I tried my best.  Really gratifying to have my hard work recognized this way.

Lol, actually, I rather liked Cowboy Bebop for what it was.  It wasn't my idea of Cowboy Bebop in some key ways, but that didn't bother me overmuch.  I thought the season was quite entertaining until the last arc of the season.  I get what they were going for at season's end, and why they felt they had to adapt that storyline now instead of later, but it seemed only partly successful to me.

I really didn't expect a season two after the pr backlash.  I have no idea what the numbers were like outside of what Rippa just said, but it looked like an expensive show, so....  Personally, I don't feel like I needed to see another season.  I would have watched it, but I suspect the live action show would never be the "definitive" Bebop for me, no matter how good.  I've not even a Bebop superfan.  I'm more a fan of Shinichirō Watanabe, so I'm probably going to pick the source material over any adaption.

John Cho was surprisingly good as Spike, though I never got over the feeling that he looks too old to play Spike.  I don't remember if the anime ever established an age rage for Spike, but the character model looked young - as do almost all anime characters - and I always got an "old soul in a young body" vibe from Spike.

I kind of want a live-action Samurai Champloo adaptation, just to see what that would look like.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

I am not surprised that Cowboy Bebob did not get an S2.  Between the nosedive in ratings and the cost to produce, I did not expect it to be renewed. 

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I kind of want a live-action Samurai Champloo adaptation, just to see what that would look like.

I don't even want to fathom how bad that would be, especially since Nujabes has passed away and can no longer provide the phat lo-fi beats for the soundtrack.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I’ve been meaning to come back and say something about BEBOP...

It was fine. I thought the core trio worked out really well. Cho and Pineda  weren’t really playing Spike and Faye to me, but what they were doing was good in its own way, and Shakir was perfect as Jet, and they all had really good chemistry together. When the show stuck to that dynamic, it was really enjoyable.

But everything with Vicious and Julia started out bad and stayed bad and really dragged the show down as it started to become more of the focus of later episodes, culminating in an Obviously Very Bad decision that I am, even now, several days later, shocked that an otherwise fairly smart writing team decided upon.

Even though I didn’t love the show, I’m disappointed to hear about the cancellation, as I was curious to see what the show could’ve grown into over time. I think there was something there with Cho/Pineda/Shakir. But that’s Netlfix for you. They operate like a tech company, not an entertainment company, and if the algorithm says to eject, that’s what they do. The idea of letting a show grow creatively and develop an audience over time doesn’t factor in. There is a better than 50-50 chance that they would’ve canceled Game of Thrones after one season. Too expensive for only 2 million people to watch!

• Like 1