DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Six episodes in. Bebop is very good. Critics are way off.

I just did episode 6 as well, and it kinda tells me that the people who claimed that the show was "too cartoony" and didn't have emotional depth, never watched to that point. Episodes 5 and 6 were very powerful, and I always loved the Jet-centric episodes from the original, so episode 5 landed for me.  "Binary Two Step" had a kind of silly setup, but really dug into Spike and Faye's story. Still not getting the hate tbh.

• Like 1

I'm just thinking that the hate is that it isn't a 1 for 1 with the Anime and people just didn't want to know about it, but it's flat out probably the best anime adaption ever done.  Episode 6 just hit in every single way from Stinger to end credits (Man, the end of that episode to the "Are we really in the real world" right into "Real Folk Blues" was pretty much anime perfect).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm just thinking that the hate is that it isn't a 1 for 1 with the Anime and people just didn't want to know about it, but it's flat out probably the best anime adaption ever done.  Episode 6 just hit in every single way from Stinger to end credits (Man, the end of that episode to the "Are we really in the real world" right into "Real Folk Blues" was pretty much anime perfect).  

Lol I actually backtracked and watched the credits when I heard it start right as it skipped to the next episode.

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I started watching Fargo last night and now I feel like an idiot for waiting so long.

I just got through episode 4 and Adam Goldberg and Russel Harvard are easily the high point of the season for me so far.

Made it through episode 6.   Ah, well, nevertheless...

I had to travel for the holidays this weekend, so I’m only three episodes in, but BEBOP seems...fine so far.

It’s at its best when its remixing the original (combining Asteroid Blues and Honky Tonk Women, with a quick swipe of the movie’s opening holdup for good measure, worked out brilliantly), but its considerably less successful with the stuff they’re inventing from whole cloth. This Julia stuff is not good so far, and Jet having a Jingle All The Way subplot was pretty cringe.

On the plus side, I’ve come around quicker than I expected to whoever John Cho is playing in the lead role. He’s not Spike, but it’s fine. Cho is a charmer, so things usually work out in the end.

On 11/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, EVA said:

I had to travel for the holidays this weekend, so I’m only three episodes in, but BEBOP seems...fine so far.

It’s at its best when its remixing the original (combining Asteroid Blues and Honky Tonk Women, with a quick swipe of the movie’s opening holdup for good measure, worked out brilliantly), but its considerably less successful with the stuff they’re inventing from whole cloth. This Julia stuff is not good so far, and Jet having a Jingle All The Way subplot was pretty cringe.

On the plus side, I’ve come around quicker than I expected to whoever John Cho is playing in the lead role. He’s not Spike, but it’s fine. Cho is a charmer, so things usually work out in the end.

I've never seen the anime, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really liked Netflix's version. I don't mind the Julia stuff, but yeah the Jet looking for a toy subplot was weird. Cho as Spike doesn't really hit sometimes, even with me not knowing how the original character acts, but I'll be goddamned if Daniella Pineda isn't fantastic. I saw complaints online about her outfit and things she's said in the media (mainly from neckbeards), but nothing about her doing a bad job as Faye. On the other end of the spectrum, I read some things about how Alex Hassell as Vicious isn't at all how he is in the anime, but again, having not seen it... I quite liked Hassell's performance.

I'd be interested to know what all they changed, and what was entirely made from scratch.

• Like 1

I oh-so-rarely post outside of this here BBS's Pro Wrestling neighborhood but I must warn folks away from the horrid cartoon adaption of the venerable underground comic institution The (Fabulous Furry) Freak Brothers. This thing is wrong in both style/writing and execution/looks. The voice acting is terribly miscast, based apparently on the marijuana reefer consumption of the celebs involved, and sounding nothing like I have been hearing these comix icons in my head for the past 40+ years. The FFFB are one of my fave raves, and my ability to quotes passages by memory impresses a very tiny elite cadre of initiates. Perhaps it was all a misguided attempt to present this canon of humor to the kids, and maybe Gilbert Shelton gets a sweet payday. Nevertheless, this abomination only made me so so sad 

(posted here, because I fear my critique would be met with less derision and confusion than in the Comic Book thread, where the Big 2 still rule)

Hallelujahgobble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last two episodes of Bebop were both the most and the least ambitious and probably some of the stuff that worked the least in the run. If this is what they felt like they needed to do with it, I'm glad they took the swing, though. Better to be ambitious than not (the bits that weren't were direct homage that they felt like they had to hit).

I don't have a ton of strong feelings about Bebop outside of the music, and I think so much of why the show worked for me was hearing the music. Because that was like an old friend coming along on a journey with me.

BUT I do have some strong feelings about Ballad of Fallen Angels. I saw the first four episodes of the anime before an official US release at a Katsucon in 2000 (if I had to guess) and immediately bought a japanese version of the soundtrack while I was there in the merch room, but there was sort of this lingering murmuring about episode 5 through my circle for the next few weeks/months, that sort of "hey, you have to see this," feel that tape traders know or thing or two about. And the show just opens up and becomes so much more when you hit that.

And here, in order to make Vicious and Julia more fleshed out entities, they sort of inverted all of it, and it's fine, but it certainly doesn't hit the same.

Survivor is the best. I think it's the best TV show of all-time, and I don't even think there's a close second. 

It's just really nuts that this show has been on for 41 seasons over 20 years and still finds a way to reinvent itself but also staying true to the original premise -- strangers go off to live in the jungle with limited resources while trying to figure out how to win $1 million, and the whole question of where each person draws their ethical lines to win. 

This last episode was maybe the best episode in the show's history. It was just a perfect hour of TV -- the tension from the week before, a character coming to terms with a personal struggle, the new twist that had incredible stakes, a really honest and heartfelt talk about race in American society, and finally the elimination. 

No spoilers in this post. But, man, I could not love something more.

British or American? I tried to watch the former and it was just too nasty. American seems toned-down and Frank gets played for laughs as much as being awful. I almost hate to say this but down the stretch he becomes... more lovable? Or something. But his actions in that season are some of the absolute worst for sure.

Reacher

It is really a weird juxtaposition to go from Tom Cruise in the movies to a literal brick shithouse but I have never read any of the books so I don't know which one is closer to the truth

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Reacher

It is really a weird juxtaposition to go from Tom Cruise in the movies to a literal brick shithouse but I have never read any of the books so I don't know which one is closer to the truth

Book Reacher is a brick shithouse, and there was some backlash to Cruise being cast in the first movie.  The Rock was the consensus fantasy casting.

In the book Jack Reacher is 6'5" and built like a wall. Tom Cruise is a foot too short, and like half the bodyweight that Reacher should have.