DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

There are better examples of misogyny in Japanese animation than Cowboy Bebop.  There is a series called Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, for fucks sake.

That show is actually pretty solid despite the weird title. 

On 11/15/2021 at 5:35 AM, Casey said:

Another Life on Netflix is some good shit. Katee Sackhoff is great in this. Actually, everyone is. I hope it gets a Season 3. They already cancelled Away last year, and that made me angry because I got into that show as well. So, here's hoping!

Its nice to find someone else watching this. Only seen the first episode of the second season so far, but I like the show well enough.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 6:35 AM, Casey said:

Another Life on Netflix is some good shit. Katee Sackhoff is great in this. Actually, everyone is. I hope it gets a Season 3. They already cancelled Away last year, and that made me angry because I got into that show as well. So, here's hoping!

It has a 6% on Rotten Tomatoes so we avoided it. That’s pretty stark.

I don't think anyone watches any of these type shows but Rockmond Dunbar was written off 9-1-1 after failing to comply with the COVID vaccine mandate

Dunbar confirmed that was the reason saying he applied for both religious and medical exceptions that were both denied

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It has a 6% on Rotten Tomatoes so we avoided it. That’s pretty stark.

My rule of thumb is to go by the audience score, because I’m definitely not the type of person that cares about things that critics do. It’s a fun binge watch, but nothing I’d devote months at a time to if it was on regular TV/cable. ??

Also, G4 is launching right now and man, it feels like reconnecting with an old friend. I guess this should technically go in the video game part of the board, but yeah. So glad it’s back. Xavier Woods is a good catch-all host too.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Gordberg said:

I just watched the first two episodes of the new (3rd) season of Joe Pera Talks With You. It's my favourite and, I'd argue, it's probably the best (non-AEW related) program on TV right now.

It's still an ode to openness, acceptance, curiosity, quiet enthusiasm, and simple pleasures. It feels like there's a bit more depth to the emotion this season, though, which makes sense considering how the second season ended. The way it balances being kind and positive without becoming saccharine or mawkish is still extremely impressive. I think it does a better job in that regard than, say, Ted Lasso (I really liked the first season of Lasso, but haven't found the simultaneous time and desire to finish the second yet). 

If I remember correctly, @caley, @Greggulator, and I think @Curt McGirt all had good things to say about the season 2. Two episodes in, it feels like season three might be even better. There are subtle moments in each of the first two episodes that were genuinely moving. 

If you haven't seen it yet, don't let my "deep and moving" talk put you off (I refrained from making a comparison of the show to the films of Yasujiro Ozu, for that reason). It's actually a light and breezy watch, with each episode coming in under 12 minutes. 

Oh man, I just caught up on the other three episodes.

Episode 2 is very dark, especially for JPTTY but it was still funny.

Episode 4 was very good and I love the title "Joe Pera Listens to Your Drunk Story".

But Episode 3 ("Joe Pera Shows You His Second Fridge/Talks About Teen Crime and Punishment") was one of the funniest ones yet. I laughed so many times: at his random insults of Las Vegas, and was losing it when the Melskys came in to talk to the principal with him and Mike was completely unhinged one moment ("I'm gonna smash my head through this computer") and then silly (Him laughing at "Mr. Pera Balls" before catching himself).

I notice they've twice mentioned that it's 2018 and about Sarah wondering if something big coming, I wonder if we'll see a time-jump in here to bring it to Covid times, or if they'll have the season end before it gets there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don't think anyone watches any of these type shows but Rockmond Dunbar was written off 9-1-1 after failing to comply with the COVID vaccine mandate

Dunbar confirmed that was the reason saying he applied for both religious and medical exceptions that were both denied

Wife  and I guessed as much when we watched the episode.  At the moment, I'm suspecting anyone written off their show suddenly of being an anti-vaxxer.  Haven't heard of too many, fortunately.

I was kind of surprised when lasrt week's Grey's Anatomy/Station 19 crossover only resulted in one character death.

I've seen some pretty positive reviews on Cowboy Bebop along with bad ones. With most of the negative stuff I've seen, it comes off as thinly veiled complaints that it's not a 1 for 1 adaptation of the anime. I am almost certain I am still going to end up enjoying this show, even if it's far from perfect.

• Like 1

Landscapers

Olivia Coleman and David Thewlis

The four-part limited series is scheduled to make its debut on Monday, December 6 on HBO. The three subsequent episodes will debut each Monday at the same time.

• Like 1

Pam & Tommy

Sebastian Stan is Tommy Lee and Lily James is Pamela Anderson

Also has Seth Rogen, Nick Offerman and Andrew Dice Clay?!?!?!?

Directed by Craig Gillespie (I, Tonya, The Finest Hours)

8-episode miniseries starting 2/2/22

• Like 1

Reviews for Wheel of Time are starting up and hoo boy, they aren't good.  The real laugher, though, from the WaPo review was commenting - lamenting? - on the series showing "no urgency in its storytelling".  I mean, did you even LOOK at the size of any of these books first?  Dude spent 4 pages a book talking about crown moulding, ffs.  Cancer was God's way of telling Robert Jordan, "Enough already!"  Of course it's gonna be like that.

• Like 1

Watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop this morning, and honestly couldn't find much to complain about. Maybe it goes off the rails later, but so far it's exactly what I expected it to be. That being them "playing the hits" while trying to weave their own original stuff in those stories.

I stand by my earlier stance that the negative reviewers wanted it to be an exact copy of the original, and were probably wanting to find something to hate before they ever watched it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah. 1 episode of Bebop in and every review slamming it was wrong.  

As for the show, it's fucking spectacular, at least one episode in.

I knocked out three episodes today, and it is super enjoyable. The only thing I'm not really crazy about is Vicious. Not sure if it's the actor, or the way he's written, but he isn't totally landing for me.

I do like how Jet has a little more backstory, and Mustafa Shakir has nailed that part.

Edited by RandomAct

Watched the first ep of Wheel of Time and I'm not sure it's as bad as the reviewers make it sound.  Granted, it's nothing special, but it's not as dull and heartless as they make it out to be, either.  They got two of the casting decisions right; I expected Lan to be someone bigger, but this guy definitely plays the stoic badass well (except the swordfighting is gummed up with CGI bullshit). I'm looking forward to him beating the shit out of Rand in training.  And Nynaeve is definitely the cranky spark plug you expect.  Everyone else I'm not sold on, including Rosamund Pike, which does not bode well.  But really, the worst bit is the CGI, which looks amateurish for the kind of money they spent per episode. 

They added some extraneous saucy bits to nearly everyone's life (except Mat, who was always saucy), clearly in an attempt to Game-of-Thrones this stuff up to what people expect.  I wonder if that will work out the rest of the way, but the extra details are good for having someone to actually care about; the books are so full of people so thoroughly good or so thoroughly bad that the only people you actually root for are the few gray types, or the ones so mysterious you never feel like you know them.  But the real test will be where this season cuts off.  If it's anywhere short of the end of the first book, they will never actually finish making all the books, and Amazon will can this shit first.  Because even the first book barely hangs together thanks to the unending march of samey fights and samey run-ins with samey near-death-escapes into samey little hamlets where they run into samey suspicious villagers for about 300 pages...ugh.  That shit has got to go.

• Like 1

We're going to binge all of the episodes of Cowboy Bebob during the last training exercise of the year since all of the nerds seem to have been pulled for night duty again.

I want to like Ragdoll, but Lucy Hale plays the most annoying lesbian cop ever.  The crazy ass premise will probably keep me watching to the bitter end.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

First half of the first episode of Wheel of Time I almost checked out. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t awful. It was just vanilla bland TV.

Picked up once the Trollocs show up.

Second episode is much better and all around decent fantasy fare.  Had a similar feel the His Dark Materials series.  All very clean and tidy.  Nowhere near the level of LOTR or GOT.

I started watching Fargo last night and now I feel like an idiot for waiting so long.

I just got through episode 4 and Adam Goldberg and Russel Harvard are easily the high point of the season for me so far.

• Like 4