DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, I like it, not as much as others but it's an interesting watch. The irony is I'm good friends with a guy who looks exactly like and sounds almost exactly like Joe Pera... except he's a drummer, a death metal (and pop-punk) fan, and a card-carrying mortician. A very chill guy, so not exactly the anti-Pera, more like the Bizarro World Pera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gordberg said:

I just watched the first two episodes of the new (3rd) season of Joe Pera Talks With You. It's my favourite and, I'd argue, it's probably the best (non-AEW related) program on TV right now.

It's still an ode to openness, acceptance, curiosity, quiet enthusiasm, and simple pleasures. It feels like there's a bit more depth to the emotion this season, though, which makes sense considering how the second season ended. The way it balances being kind and positive without becoming saccharine or mawkish is still extremely impressive. I think it does a better job in that regard than, say, Ted Lasso (I really liked the first season of Lasso, but haven't found the simultaneous time and desire to finish the second yet). 

If I remember correctly, @caley, @Greggulator, and I think @Curt McGirt all had good things to say about the season 2. Two episodes in, it feels like season three might be even better. There are subtle moments in each of the first two episodes that were genuinely moving. 

If you haven't seen it yet, don't let my "deep and moving" talk put you off (I refrained from making a comparison of the show to the films of Yasujiro Ozu, for that reason). It's actually a light and breezy watch, with each episode coming in under 12 minutes. 

I've only watched the first episode so far. I saw people in the group talking about it being a little darker this season. I think the pandemic hit Pera pretty hard. For such a positive guy, some of his tweets/IG posts suggested he was struggliing through it.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, Craig H said:

I also wouldn't be shocked if he thought the show sucked, because, well, it kinda does. 

I mean, he and everyone had to know going in that this was the definition of a "keep gettin' them checks" type role. I know he holds the Coach Bombay character in high regard though, so who knows?

On 11/9/2021 at 5:50 PM, colonial said:

You may remember the "Cannon" guest star megamix on YT a while back, but how about taking it to 11 and doing a 46 1/2 minute montage of every guest star who boarded "The Love Boat" ...

I need one of these but for Miami Vice because the list of guest stars/people who became something later is incredible.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I need one of these but for Miami Vice because the list of guest stars/people who became something later is incredible.

M*A*S*H was the same way.  Unbelievable list of future names.

Also, kudos to the Love Boat guest star video maker for taking the extra time to put them all in alphabetical order.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, Craig H said:

I also wouldn't be shocked if he thought the show sucked, because, well, it kinda does. 

I liked it, but I'm a total sucker for misfit underdogs kids sports movies (especially when there is a class war element), plus I streamed mist of it kinda drunk so I was easy to please. I totally marked out for the reunion episode.

• Like 1

Another Life on Netflix is some good shit. Katee Sackhoff is great in this. Actually, everyone is. I hope it gets a Season 3. They already cancelled Away last year, and that made me angry because I got into that show as well. So, here's hoping!

I haven't seen anyone mention that How To with John Wilson is coming back for a second season (maybe someone did, and I missed it).  

That show was a highlight of my year last year.  It was so beautifully done.  

Also, the newest season of Big Mouth is some really funny stuff.  Loved it.

• Like 1

The AV Club review kinda annoys me.  I don't like the implication that Bebob's portrayal of Faye was somehow anti-feminist.  Faye is a bounty hunter and she uses her looks to her advantage because the quality of gentlemen she usually tracks down tend to underestimate the abilities of pretty women that they assume to be defenseless bimbos.  Before they realize they've been played, they're back in jail and Faye is counting her monies.

There are better examples of misogyny in Japanese animation than Cowboy Bebop.  There is a series called Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, for fucks sake.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I presume the same critics would not look kindly on Fujiko, especially the early seasons with the gratuitous nudity. 

Well, it does not help that she started off as a Bond girl stereotype complete with a name that was a riff on her bust size.  As she gained popularity, her role expanded and she became Lupin's Irene Adler.  All of her earlier character connotations were lost in time, thank goodness.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

The AV Club review kinda annoys me.  I don't like the implication that Bebob's portrayal of Faye was somehow anti-feminist.  Faye is a bounty hunter and she uses her looks to her advantage because the quality of gentlemen she usually tracks down tend to underestimate the abilities of pretty women that they assume to be defenseless bimbos.  Before they realize they've been played, they're back in jail and Faye is counting her monies.

There are better examples of misogyny in Japanese animation than Cowboy Bebop.  There is a series called Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, for fucks sake.

AV Club is a shell of it's glory days, and most of their reviews are only worth a hate/laugh read. The shows they pick to review versus those they only preview shows just how limited their scope is anymore. And I wish I cared about anything in this world as much as they care about SNL.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JLowe said:

AV Club is a shell of it's glory days, and most of their reviews are only worth a hate/laugh read. The shows they pick to review versus those they only preview shows just how limited their scope is anymore. And I wish I cared about anything in this world as much as they care about SNL.

A lot of their good content providers are no longer there and are doing other things. I think Scott Tobias has gone the substack route at this point (or I know one has).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I think that is because their SNL articles get the most clicks so they keep churning them out.

Just like, infuriatingly, the most clicked on stories on Kotaku are about that Twitch lady

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think that is because their SNL articles get the most clicks so they keep churning them out.

Just like, infuriatingly, the most clicked on stories on Kotaku are about that Twitch lady

Everything under the former Gawker Media umbrella has pretty much gone to shit over the past few years, and I've heard Kotaku is the only thing even making money. iO9 was must read under Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders. AV Club has their longterm, dedicated commenters so I guess they know their audience and feed them accordingly.

I just think shows like Reservoir Dogs deserved a weekly review, and they had some people calling them out for ignoring it.

• Like 1