DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The first (maybe only) season is gonna only be 10 episodes

I don't think it is gonna take up much of her time

I was just reading that HBO is already all but commiting to S2. They are hoping Kim Catrall will comeback for payoff to the story. Catrall has pretty much made her feelings known though. 

Time will tell...

James

Emilio Estevez will not return for the 2nd season of Mighty Ducks: Game Changers

The way the Deadline story reads - Estevez refused to get vaccinated (which the producers, ABC Signature, required for the show) so his option was not picked up

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of Adult Swim, Squidbillies is getting a final seaso

I was flipping channels a few nights ago and came across Squidbillies and was dumbfounded when the channel guide said "season 12".  I had no idea Squidbillies lasted more than a couple seasons.  If you asked me how many seasons there had been, I would have guessed 3 or 4.  I'm still kind of incredulous that Squidbillies has run for that long.

Squidbillies has never looked funny to me, so I'm not sure if the addition of Tracy Morgan would make it more or less tolerable to me.  Probably less, but I have no intention of finding out for sure until I die and go to Hell, at which point I'll probably be forced to watch Adult Swim 24/7 for the rest of eternity.

So, Squidbees was as good as it always is though Tracy is jarring and kinda unpleasant. They definitely didn't change scripts or anything (except in one instance at the start of the first episode). It'll be a fine sendoff if you just think Hinson's voice in your head. They went out of their way to get Willie and Buddy Guy to do the theme song so give 'em a break. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, RIPPA said:

Emilio Estevez will not return for the 2nd season of Mighty Ducks: Game Changers

The way the Deadline story reads - Estevez refused to get vaccinated (which the producers, ABC Signature, required for the show) so his option was not picked up

Estevez disputed this, as he got COVID during the pilot and he was unhappy with how lax their COVID protocols were.

I started watching Sex Education on Netflix and I quickly fell in love with it. I'm nearly done with season 3 and feel like I want to rewatch it. It perfectly fills the void left by the absence of Lovesick, Fleabag, and Catastrophe.

I'm not sure how I feel about Otis though. He is nearly in the Scott Pilgrim territory of being the worst boyfriend ever, except Scott did that shit intentionally and Otis is just young and stupid. Every other character is so easy to love, except for the headmistress in season 3. She is the worst person.

• Like 1

I just watched the first two episodes of the new (3rd) season of Joe Pera Talks With You. It's my favourite and, I'd argue, it's probably the best (non-AEW related) program on TV right now.

It's still an ode to openness, acceptance, curiosity, quiet enthusiasm, and simple pleasures. It feels like there's a bit more depth to the emotion this season, though, which makes sense considering how the second season ended. The way it balances being kind and positive without becoming saccharine or mawkish is still extremely impressive. I think it does a better job in that regard than, say, Ted Lasso (I really liked the first season of Lasso, but haven't found the simultaneous time and desire to finish the second yet). 

If I remember correctly, @caley, @Greggulator, and I think @Curt McGirt all had good things to say about the season 2. Two episodes in, it feels like season three might be even better. There are subtle moments in each of the first two episodes that were genuinely moving. 

If you haven't seen it yet, don't let my "deep and moving" talk put you off (I refrained from making a comparison of the show to the films of Yasujiro Ozu, for that reason). It's actually a light and breezy watch, with each episode coming in under 12 minutes. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 1