DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

We didn't want to spoil it.  You needed to experience the soul crushing for yourself.  

How loud was your scream of righteous fury when Hood turned Chayton's head into meatloaf?

That was awesome. The effects on that were really, really good too.

I figured I would just start watching the rest of Billions season 5 while working. I'm only a handful of minutes in and man, Paul Giamatti lost a lot of weight in between when they had to halt filming season 5 and when they had to pick it back up again.

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That was awesome. The effects on that were really, really good too.

There was an audible gasp from me and the boo followed by lots of shouts of FUCK YEAH~! 

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There was an audible gasp from me and the boo followed by lots of shouts of FUCK YEAH~! 

I was so happy they went in the direction they did with Hood and Dusku's character. Same with Hood and Ana. It wouldn't be right at that stage to have Hood getting back with either of them. Dude needs to start his own persona and identity, along with getting a fuck ton of therapy, which should be easy when you have millions in the bank now. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, Craig H said:

I'm not quite feeling this final season of Banshee. Something about the time jump and the serial killer story that I'm not feeling. And Kai being mayor feels very...Lex Luthor-ish. I'm also not really digging Kai's alliance with the Nazis. That shit feels like it's straight out of Breaking Bad.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, the final season may have been a bit too tonaly different, but the final three episodes were Banshee as fuck. The series finale rocked and solidified the series in my top 10. One of the best judges of a series is how much I immediately miss all of the characters and that final episode gave me a ton of reasons to miss everyone. Except maybe Bunker. If Bunker had the storyline with his brother from the very start then it would have felt more appropriate to take up as much time as it did. 

I'm hoping we get a Banshee revival at some point. One more job or one more mission. Maybe it involves whatever the Nazi senator had going on, the cartel getting a foothold in Banshee, maybe Hood sets up shop as a lawman in another small town, or something. There's plenty of ways to get the gang back together every now and then. 

Job is such an all time character. He had to have had a blast playing him. 

Yeah, the last season was weird for all the reasons you mentioned.  Time jumps are a really delicate, tough thing to pull off and the serial killer thing was pretty far out of left field.  Also, they moved the show from I think NC to PA and it was just a little off.  Which is funny for a show that takes place in PA.  But I agree they pulled it back together pretty spectacularly.  I loved Brock's "yeah, I just blew up your fucking truck."

I really liked Bunker as a character but I'm a sucker for redemption stories.  I always laughed at his prepared speech, "now I realize my appearance may be disturbing to you."  Especially the time when the station was under attack from the Redbones and there really wasn't much time to put people at ease, but he launched into the schtick for a second, then just said "ah, fuck it."  The actor who played the role played a good, but really frustrating and maddening, character on Ozark last season. 

Bonus points for the blink and you'll miss him turn for Stranger Things' and Black Widow's David Harbour as Hood's evil black ops mentor.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The actor who played the role played a good, but really frustrating and maddening, character on Ozark last season. 

Bonus points for the blink and you'll miss him turn for Stranger Things' and Black Widow's David Harbour as Hood's evil black ops mentor.

OH MY GOD! That's where I recognized him from. Holy shit, yeah, he acted his fucking ass off in Ozark and delivered an amazing performance (only topped by GaTa from Dave because GaTa is bipolar in real life so it wasn't hard for him to be himself). He was just a totally tragic character...

Spoiler

but I still have hope that he's alive. I can't recall seeing his body and I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up down in Mexico.

And I'd spot David Harbour anywhere. Harbour there looked a lot like he did in Black Mass, which was probably around the time he filmed Black Mass.

Back to Bunker though, I still liked him. Actually, I think I disliked his brother more than anything. I thought he kinda sucked as far acting goes, but he was nowhere near as bad as Declan and his girlfriend.

Other thoughts...Man, Hood is a really shitty fighter. I always wondered if the final showdown with Burton would be against Ana or Hood. Hood going full Shibata on Burton was some good shit. As for Job, while I think he's an all time character, I have to wonder where he developed all of his survivalist, weapons, and hand to hand combat training? When Hood first meets Job, Job is such a shook dude who talks Hood out of killing him. He must have gone to the same school of training that all of the Fast and Furious characters go to.

I really hope Antony Starr gets some better work whenever he's done with the Boys. I like him a lot. It's weird looking at his IMDB that Banshee and the Boys are the best things he's done.

• Like 1

Carl: "Hey, Haadees is always where I go when I wake up in 2 Wycked at dawn in the parking lot of Melonshakers, if I can still find some change unda the seats! This new burgah, whateva it is they sellin', it's awesome! So go get it! They payin' me all this money, so you betta. I GOT DEBTS. Plus somea their stores they named after me, alright!"

• Like 1

Watched all of Squid Game yesterday while puttering around the house doing chores. 

I would recommend giving it a watch. It is eminently watchable with lots of good to great characters whose names I will not remember or bother to look up. The games themselves are visual treats and serve as highlights to the series. They do a fairly good job of making some of the early games moral choices that are interesting and conflicting. There are also some good derivations on the side of the people running the game not being total faceless monsters except when they are. There are issues with the plot conceptually that cause it to fall apart upon reflection. 

Show wrecking Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

So the game is presented as three different things that are in stark competition with each other. First, we are told through the Point Man that the game is meant to be an even competition where no one has any advantage over anyone else. Second, we are shown that it is a gambling event for rich people to watch. And third it is something for Player 001 (the founder of the game ) to participate in because he's dying and had fun playing on the schoolyard. The problem becomes that the first reason (which they totally murder people for violating) conflicts way too much with the other two. For example, 001 loses a game that other people also lose and is not murdered as a result. This means that, in fact, he was not an equal to the other participants and also came into the game understanding the stakes which kills about half of the other competitors. The gambling angle also screws up the game as it blows the sense of equality out of the water as VIPs openly disregard rules that would get other people killed. This also happens late in the series as The Point Man unmasks in front of his soldiers when he executed someone for the same violation earlier in the show. As it stands the Game is hypocritical to the extreme and while we can accept that people are hypocrites, it makes the concept weaker when holding to that first concept would have strengthened the show considerably. I also did not like the outside of the game killing as it again weakens the fairness that the concept is supposed to embody.

The window pane game is also completely unfair and depended almost entirely on the order of participation in terms of success. 

Rest of Billions was...fine? Some of it is shot very awkwardly to get around social distancing or because Damian Lewis wasn't able to be on set whether it was because of his wife being sick or avoiding COVID exposure or both. There were also lots of shots of one person talking, then a shot where it's only another person talking, again to probably accommodate COVID restrictions. 

The lead up to the finale didn't seem like something that Axe would fall for, but I get why he did because of obvious reasons. Even still, the route they took to get there was a little lame...

Spoiler

I really like Corey Stoll and had hoped at the start of the season that he wouldn't just be a one season and done character like Teddy KGB or the Kurrgan playing the AG. The Mike Prince felt like a good polar opposite of Axe, so it was a little lame and shitty that Prince would turn out to be just as big of a piece of shit as Axe.

Or maybe not. It would be an interesting turn to see him run the former Axe Cap as a legitimate and law abiding operation while Chuck spins his wheels trying to get revenge against Prince, only to not be able to because Prince is clean as a sheet and so is his business.

And while I didn't think the trap was something Axe would fall for, in a way, I'm glad he did because it was nice to see him actually lose. Well, as much as fucking off to Switzerland with billions to spend counts as losing.

I'm a little over the Wendy character too. Her hugging Axe was a nice way to say goodbye to Damian Lewis on screen and Axe also got to sorta have his "I don't want to go..." TM Doctor Who moment. But Wendy as a character sucks and is pretty pointless now. What do you even do with her at this point? She lost to Chuck, she lost Axe, she's been bought by Prince, and from the season 6 preview she's still there and still always, always scowling. Wendy was a better character when she was Chuck's dom wife and less so when she was being pulled towards Axe for so many seasons.

It also looked like Dan Soder and Dollar Bill were either saying their on air goodbyes or setting up a spinoff, but they're right in that season 6 preview too, so I guess they'll be back to doing the same old shit. I'd much rather see a Mafee/Dollar Bill spin off.

BTW, the wrestling references were in total overdrive for the last half of this season. Holy shit. Billions has always had wrestling references before, but they out and out say that Prince is a fan and Prince says stuff like being down for the 3 count. It's cute, but weird whenever I see wrestling bleed over into something like this.

11 hours ago, driver said:

Dan Soder(Mafee) does one hell of a Macho Man.

I listen to his Sirius show (The Bonfire) and he's a legit wrestling fan.  So if the directors are allowing him to improv a bit, I could see him throwing in a lot of references.

• Like 1

Re: Chucky. It looks fine but I have had my fill/never been interested in YA horror, really. @J.T.you and your kid might be interested. It might take a darker turn too -- and I admit I was pretty much done by the time the dad destroyed the super creepy doll installation to look at other things. 

Why do I even bother to give half-assed opinions about things I barely watch? It's writing I suppose

EDIT: Will admit I saw the teaser for Day of the Dead and I was done soon as the mayor pretty much said "2nd Amendment, bitches" after shooting one zombie three times without a headshot

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Being the huge horror nerd that I am, of course I watched "Chucky." At first I felt more or less the same that Curt McGirt did. It seemed fine, but it was moving slow and I was waiting for something to happen. Then, something finally did happen. After that talent show scene, the only thing that I can say is that Chucky really is a friend to the end.

• Like 1