DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So is the reason  we have NCIS: Hawaii the same reason that we had Magnum PI after Hawaii Five-O got the axe?
(i.e. CBS had a production team in the pacific and felt they could justify keeping it alive by just starting up another show)

James

2 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So is the reason  we have NCIS: Hawaii the same reason that we had Magnum PI after Hawaii Five-O got the axe?
(i.e. CBS had a production team in the pacific and felt they could justify keeping it alive by just starting up another show)

James

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many techs from Lost ended up working on 5-0.

The new episode of Only Murders in the Building is an incredible piece of television, almost entirely silent. It’s so engrossing that we would forget for minutes at a time that there was no spoken dialogue. It also showcased the excellent minimalist orchestral score. The show is so adept at making subtle tonal shifts between comedy about human nature and drama about the human condition in that way that Steve Martin always has been. When I started the show I’d never have expected that the 

Spoiler

Armenian genocide

would be a major subplot. 

• Like 2

I've scrolled back several pages and several weeks and have not seen a mention of Reservation Dogs (Hulu/FX), which is one of the funniest comedies (often dark) currently airing. It's filmed in Oklahoma and features an entirely Native/First Nations cast and crew. Taiki Waititi is one of the producers. Native friends/Twitter folks say the show is very real. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I've scrolled back several pages and several weeks and have not seen a mention of Reservation Dogs (Hulu/FX), which is one of the funniest comedies (often dark) currently airing. It's filmed in Oklahoma and features an entirely Native/First Nations cast and crew. Taiki Waititi is one of the producers. Native friends/Twitter folks say the show is very real. 

Reservation Dogs is an incredible, incredible show.  I loved it so much.  The way the season ended was perfect and works if the series only goes one season or if it continues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

Reservation Dogs is an incredible, incredible show.  I loved it so much.  The way the season ended was perfect and works if the series only goes one season or if it continues. 

I agree. It was fantastic and more heartfelt than I thought it was going to be from the previews for it. There is some heavy, heavy shit in it. I also think it did get renewed for a second season.

Willie Jack is my favorite on the show, with Cheese being a close second. Cheese hanging out with the old lady from the hospital is heart melting stuff.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I agree. It was fantastic and more heartfelt than I thought it was going to be from the previews for it. There is some heavy, heavy shit in it. I also think it did get renewed for a second season.

Willie Jack is my favorite on the show, with Cheese being a close second. Cheese hanging out with the old lady from the hospital is heart melting stuff.

I love Willie Jack as well, I'm a little behind on the episodes but just finished the one focused on her and it was probably the best episode so far.

• Like 2

The new What We Do In the Shadows is a riot. 

Spoiler

The Sire (the first ever vampire) escapes from the Council building which brings up the concept of "you gotta kill the main vampire" which I forgot about completely, even though I watched the end of The Lost Boys on TV recently. The end is the best. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The new What We Do In the Shadows is a riot. 

Hide contents

The Sire (the first ever vampire) escapes from the Council building which brings up the concept of "you gotta kill the main vampire" which I forgot about completely, even though I watched the end of The Lost Boys on TV recently. The end is the best. 

Spoiler

RETURN OF THE BARON!  So adorable when he was riding on the back of the dog.

• Like 2

All of that. I was in tears laughing at all of the stuff with the Baron. The previous week was good too. Guillermo's friend on trial being like, "I don't know, I guess I just do fucked up shit now" killed me. Oh, also from last night...

Spoiler

The dog really is a hellhound!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean it was kind of building up the entire episode, but yeah, fuck him. He’s gonna get his shit rocked next week.

Bad thing is, we know that Ted will forgive him and still tell him something uplifting. I'd like them to swerve me on that though.

8 hours ago, (BP) said:

My impression from the previous episode of Ted Lasso was that 

Reveal hidden contents

Rupert bought another club and Nate’s going to coach for him, which will be the main football storyline in season 3. 

I think this is the move, honestly. The funeral episode dropped a lot of seeds for that.

Heels greatly improved after Ricky Rabies appeared. It was a slow first two episodes but it’s picked up, I think.

Still a little bit wonky on the backstage “Inside Baseball” type stuff, but it’s nothing terrible. I still find it odd that Jack writes out the matches like he’s DDP or Randy Savage.

I'm not quite feeling this final season of Banshee. Something about the time jump and the serial killer story that I'm not feeling. And Kai being mayor feels very...Lex Luthor-ish. I'm also not really digging Kai's alliance with the Nazis. That shit feels like it's straight out of Breaking Bad.

Well, the final season may have been a bit too tonaly different, but the final three episodes were Banshee as fuck. The series finale rocked and solidified the series in my top 10. One of the best judges of a series is how much I immediately miss all of the characters and that final episode gave me a ton of reasons to miss everyone. Except maybe Bunker. If Bunker had the storyline with his brother from the very start then it would have felt more appropriate to take up as much time as it did. 

I'm hoping we get a Banshee revival at some point. One more job or one more mission. Maybe it involves whatever the Nazi senator had going on, the cartel getting a foothold in Banshee, maybe Hood sets up shop as a lawman in another small town, or something. There's plenty of ways to get the gang back together every now and then. 

Job is such an all time character. He had to have had a blast playing him. 

• Like 1

I started the Carla Gugino show Jett, and after 4 episodes, I fully recommend it. I honestly think Carla Gugino somehow had the worst possible luck as far as her career has gone.  This show is pretty good so far, but feels like the star should be pushing 40 instead of over 50.  Gugino, who looks fantastic for her age,  does her best, but everyone's reactions to her are just a little off. I've seen a lot of questionable behaviors over my 40 years,  but it's rare when I see teenagers/ early 20-somethings openly proposition women or enough to be their mother. She's perfect for the character,  except they should have made this show 10-15 years ago,  or the rest of the characters need to be tweaked. She's a strong character,  and the rest of the characters acknowledge and show her proper respect in almost every situation,  but then one will hit on her like you would a 19-year-old at a frat party and it doesn't feel right.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, Craig H said:

Man...One of you Banshee watchers could have warned me about Siobhan. That heartbreak is up there with Lem from the Shield.

We didn't want to spoil it.  You needed to experience the soul crushing for yourself.  

How loud was your scream of righteous fury when Hood turned Chayton's head into meatloaf?

Edited by J.T.