DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Learned from Twitter that Family Guy is exclusive to Disney platforms as of today (FXX mostly.  Eps will still stream on Hulu apparently.  Does Disney own Hulu?  No clue) and will no longer be on Cartoon Network or TBS.  FXX intends to run block of Family Guy most every evening as they did with Simpsons, but it still feels odd not to see Family Guy on Adult Swim at 11 PM.  I've never really paid much attention to the show one way or the other, but I did occasionally turn on AS at 11 at let it play while I checked email or whatever.  My impression is that Cartoon Network buying the rebroadcast rights when Fox canceled the show had a lot to do with making the show popular and getting it back on Fox.  

Also seem annoying to see FXX lean harder into cartoons.  Plan appears to be block of Family Guy in primetime followed by block of Cleveland Show at midnight.  Adult Swim seems to be leaning into even more Rick and Morty and American Dad.  All of these shows are overexposed, so I'm not really sure who's going to win here.

(Cleveland Show isn't as overexposed as the other three, but it's been running on Comedy Central for a lot of years and there are only 90 episodes of it so you can beat in into the ground pretty quick.)

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Learned from Twitter that Family Guy is exclusive to Disney platforms as of today (FXX mostly.  Eps will still stream on Hulu apparently.  Does Disney own Hulu?  No clue) and will no longer be on Cartoon Network or TBS.  FXX intends to run block of Family Guy most every evening as they did with Simpsons, but it still feels odd not to see Family Guy on Adult Swim at 11 PM.  I've never really paid much attention to the show one way or the other, but I did occasionally turn on AS at 11 at let it play while I checked email or whatever.  My impression is that Cartoon Network buying the rebroadcast rights when Fox canceled the show had a lot to do with making the show popular and getting it back on Fox.  

Also seem annoying to see FXX lean harder into cartoons.  Plan appears to be block of Family Guy in primetime followed by block of Cleveland Show at midnight.  Adult Swim seems to be leaning into even more Rick and Morty and American Dad.  All of these shows are overexposed, so I'm not really sure who's going to win here.

(Cleveland Show isn't as overexposed as the other three, but it's been running on Comedy Central for a lot of years and there are only 90 episodes of it so you can beat in into the ground pretty quick.)

Disney basically controls Hulu, they have a 67% stake in it with Comcast owning the other 33%.

• Like 1

I started watching Banshee. It was a series I always wanted to watch because the commercials for it looked pretty cool, but I always kept forgetting about it until this past weekend.

It's pretty good. Banshee is what Justified would be if you were allowed to show a lot of boobs and sex and drop a bunch of f-bombs. Antony Starr is very lowkey Raylan Givens in it. My biggest problem with Starr is that I can't look at that guy and not see Homelander. The dude just always looks like he's pure evil. Shit, the town of Banshee is essentially Harlan. Instead of the Dixie Mafia or whoever you have Kair. Instead of hill folk you have the Amish. The other cops remind me a lot of the morally good cops in Justified.

So despite this feeling heavily inspired by Justified, I'll give it a pass because of how good it has been and if you're going to borrow from someone, borrow from the best.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Craig H said:

I started watching Banshee. It was a series I always wanted to watch because the commercials for it looked pretty cool, but I always kept forgetting about it until this past weekend.

It's pretty good. Banshee is what Justified would be if you were allowed to show a lot of boobs and sex and drop a bunch of f-bombs. Antony Starr is very lowkey Raylan Givens in it. My biggest problem with Starr is that I can't look at that guy and not see Homelander. The dude just always looks like he's pure evil. Shit, the town of Banshee is essentially Harlan. Instead of the Dixie Mafia or whoever you have Kair. Instead of hill folk you have the Amish. The other cops remind me a lot of the morally good cops in Justified.

So despite this feeling heavily inspired by Justified, I'll give it a pass because of how good it has been and if you're going to borrow from someone, borrow from the best.

I love Banshee, it's the best possible version of one of those 90s syndicated shows like Silk Stalkings. It's completely over the top,  not very realistic,  but it's always fun and always better than it has any right to be. 

I'm now into season two of Banshee and while I'm not a prude or anything, they really leaned into this being a Cinemax show. I don't know if literally every episode needs boobs and a sex scene. I mean, I certainly appreciate all of the attractive women they cast, but man, it gets a little ridiculous for just how Cinemax this show is.

Other than that, it really does feel a lot like Justified. The quality definitely isn't as high as Justified's, but it's still a fun watch. Antony Starr has even started to grow on me and I've been able to separate him being an evil bastard from who he is on this show. 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I'm now into season two of Banshee and while I'm not a prude or anything, they really leaned into this being a Cinemax show. I don't know if literally every episode needs boobs and a sex scene. I mean, I certainly appreciate all of the attractive women they cast, but man, it gets a little ridiculous for just how Cinemax this show is.

I mean, I get where you're coming from,  but if you're watching Banshee and are worried about it being gratuitous,  you're probably watching the wrong show. The show is kind of built upon everything being turned up to 11. I am one of the few Americans who thinks that blatant sexually is less harmful than blatant violence,  and the violence in this show is much more gratuitous than the sex. With that said,  both are done in an almost artful way,  which is kind of what makes the show better than the average boobs and guns show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I mean, I get where you're coming from,  but if you're watching Banshee and are worried about it being gratuitous,  you're probably watching the wrong show. The show is kind of built upon everything being turned up to 11. I am one of the few Americans who thinks that blatant sexually is less harmful than blatant violence,  and the violence in this show is much more gratuitous than the sex. With that said,  both are done in an almost artful way,  which is kind of what makes the show better than the average boobs and guns show. 

Yeah, the gratuitous stuff is pretty much the show's raison d'etre.  And it all works.

• Like 1

I mean, it doesn't bother me, I just think it's so silly and you can pretty much pinpoint when someone's going to drop clothes. I think I waited all of first season for Siobhan to do it and she never did, so I got that one wrong. One episode into the second season you knew she was getting naked and fucking Hood sooner rather than later.

And honestly, I think she's way better for Hood than Ana. To say that Ana has baggage is putting it lightly, but I doubt Hood ever moves on from Ana.

I wish I watched this series when it was airing because it would have been more fun to discuss then.

Oh yeah, that season 1 finale was the shit. I loved that Lotus was finally like, fuck it, let's go kill some bad guys. 

2 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Ted Lasso was tough for me this week. Anyone who has a father that is no longer with us, and a complicated one at that, may have a hard time with this episode. I honestly cried a lot.

I'll be okay watching this episode if I skip the Coach Beard ep, right? I have no desire to watch an entire episode based around him.

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'll be okay watching this episode if I skip the Coach Beard ep, right? I have no desire to watch an entire episode based around him.

The Beard episode was *really* good, but it doesn't move anything along plot wise, other than his love life. Just character building stuff. It has yet to have any bearing on anything so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, it doesn't bother me, I just think it's so silly and you can pretty much pinpoint when someone's going to drop clothes. I think I waited all of first season for Siobhan to do it and she never did, so I got that one wrong. One episode into the second season you knew she was getting naked and fucking Hood sooner rather than later.

And honestly, I think she's way better for Hood than Ana. To say that Ana has baggage is putting it lightly, but I doubt Hood ever moves on from Ana.

I wish I watched this series when it was airing because it would have been more fun to discuss then.

Oh yeah, that season 1 finale was the shit. I loved that Lotus was finally like, fuck it, let's go kill some bad guys. 

I liked the development of Rebecca. She gradually becomes more gangster and it's great. 

Incidentally, IMDB has decided the show's name is "Banshee Origins" now. 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:35 PM, Mister TV said:

Disney basically controls Hulu, they have a 67% stake in it with Comcast owning the other 33%.

And an agreement to buy out the remaining third in... I want to say 2023.

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Other than that, it really does feel a lot like Justified. The quality definitely isn't as high as Justified's, but it's still a fun watch. Antony Starr has even started to grow on me and I've been able to separate him being an evil bastard from who he is on this show. 

The introduction of Job may break your mind.

Congratulations on beginning your journey through the tragic saga of Clay Burton.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Cho sure looks pretty old is all I’m saying…

I am good with Cho being Elder Spike, but I am not sure how I feel about Danielle Pineda playing the NutraSlim version of the usually curvy and badass Faye Valentine, but the trailer gives me hope that the show has its heart in the right place. 

I will probably watch the first season and reserve judgment for later.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I remember when Keanu was attached for a Bebop film, he said it was basically too expensie for any studio to undertake (like a Billion dollar). So when the Netflix announceent first hit I was kinda leery. I want Bebop, not  the "I got it off Wish" version of Bebop

James