DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Ace said:

It makes sense. Isn't Lewinsky actually involved in the production?

Yes - if fact EW just dropped a story

https://ew.com/tv/monica-lewinsky-consulted-impeachment-american-crime-story/

According to Beanie Feldstein, who plays Lewinsky, and executive producer/writer Sarah Burgess, Lewinsky got a say in "every word" and "every script page" of the show.

Speaking specifically to the second episode, Feldstein said, "When I received the scripts, I knew that every word that I was saying was approved and had been to Monica first... [The producers] would go through the scripts with her and [she would] give all her feedback and her notes. And by the time it got to me, I was sure that everything in there was something that she felt comfortable with, she felt was real to her life and represented her."

The article also seems to imply that they leaned heavily on Lewinsky after Jeffrey Toobin had his... incident

2 minutes ago, Control said:

This season of TED LASSO kinda sucks. There’s no conflict at the core of the show.

If we're being honest - the show kinda sucks anyway, but ya'll aren't ready for that conversation yet. ?

• Haha 1

I watched the first episode of Heels earlier today. You could tell the story with just about any profession and it's not a terribly original plot-

A family business in a small Georgia town has fallen on hard times with the eldest child struggling to keep it going. The family patriarch had built it up through his own hard work and was held in high regard by the townsfolk. Though he's well liked by his peers and coworkers, the oldest son's constant struggle and excessive time spent on the business has begun to alienate his wife and kids. Even though his employees respect him, they find his unwillingness to listen to their input on business ideas frustrating. His younger brother is very skilled at the family trade feels he deserves a bigger role in the business and longs to leave town and succeed in their field on a larger stage.

Wrestling itself is treated kind of similar to how it is in GLOW. There are a few scenes of wrestlers training or going over spots which serve more to introduce the non-wrestling fans to the technical aspects more than anything. There's even a scene where one wrestler's wife explains the concept of kayfabe to the other. The main character is the booker and heavyweight champ of the promotion who is a heel but is generally a good guy who is well liked in the community. His younger brother is the biggest face in the company but is kind of a douche who doesn't seem to get the business as much as his brother does. There are references to WCW and real world wrestlers while another character who was a former local star that went on to become nationally famous is now a road agent for "up north". He offers the younger brother a developmental deal which naturally causes the age old "you have to stay and help the family business rather than go succeed out of town" story you get in drama films.

I thought what Richards said was bad. Really ugly. But my WTF was that you bring in an amazing level of talent to try out, some better some worse and in the end the judge just goes "kidding" it was going to be mine regardless of what happened.

Hope to heck it's someone interesting next time.

2 hours ago, KidNatural said:

I thought what Richards said was bad. Really ugly. But my WTF was that you bring in an amazing level of talent to try out, some better some worse and in the end the judge just goes "kidding" it was going to be mine regardless of what happened.

Oh yeah, that Ringer article dug into some of the ways he tipped the scales towards himself.

Including being the sole decision maker on which episodes they sent to the focus groups for their analytics process.

• Like 1

Ted Lasso is awesome and this week's episode may have been the best of the series.  Lots of life lessons to be learned from that 30 minutes. I love the running theme of the season that everyone is putting on a front and pretending to be happy with where their life is currently, when they really aren't. That really came through with Roy and Nate this week.

There IS conflict this season, they are just taking a little too long in presenting it, because the conflict is Ted with himself and his obvious coping mechanisms.  Also they are obviously going to reveal that Ted and Rebecca have been texting each other in the dating app, which will of course make things really weird. They'll eventually dash in some soccer related conflict I'm sure.  I come away from every episode actually feeling something, and that's really all I want.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 3

I'm trying to make it through the first episode of the new version of The Stand, but, ugggggh, it's so much Harold Lauder.  It's just terrible.  Or maybe it's too good: they cast a guy so thoroughly unlikable and creepy that you instantly feel for Fran, even though the woman who plays her has all the personality of wet crafting paste.  I'm curious to see some of the other casting decisions, but it looks like I'd have to actually finish this episode to get to see them, short of cheating on IMDb.  Ugh.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:38 PM, HumanChessgame said:

I watched the first episode of Heels earlier today. You could tell the story with just about any profession and it's not a terribly original plot-

A family business in a small Georgia town has fallen on hard times with the eldest child struggling to keep it going. The family patriarch had built it up through his own hard work and was held in high regard by the townsfolk. Though he's well liked by his peers and coworkers, the oldest son's constant struggle and excessive time spent on the business has begun to alienate his wife and kids. Even though his employees respect him, they find his unwillingness to listen to their input on business ideas frustrating. His younger brother is very skilled at the family trade feels he deserves a bigger role in the business and longs to leave town and succeed in their field on a larger stage.

Wrestling itself is treated kind of similar to how it is in GLOW. There are a few scenes of wrestlers training or going over spots which serve more to introduce the non-wrestling fans to the technical aspects more than anything. There's even a scene where one wrestler's wife explains the concept of kayfabe to the other. The main character is the booker and heavyweight champ of the promotion who is a heel but is generally a good guy who is well liked in the community. His younger brother is the biggest face in the company but is kind of a douche who doesn't seem to get the business as much as his brother does. There are references to WCW and real world wrestlers while another character who was a former local star that went on to become nationally famous is now a road agent for "up north". He offers the younger brother a developmental deal which naturally causes the age old "you have to stay and help the family business rather than go succeed out of town" story you get in drama films.

Yeah, the pilot did a pretty bad job of introducing us to this world. Maybe I missed something, but I had no idea who Mary McCormack's character was supposed to be until I looked it up on Wikipedia. Also basing it on the territories just made everything feel weirdly anachronistic. Not a great start.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, KidNatural said:

Real Dick Cheney energy.

• Haha 1

Twelve seasons seems more than enough for Archer, but, yeah, FX is interested in keeping the show going.  Couple bits I've read lately made it sound like they've more or less agreed on money and it's more a matter of the creators coming up with a story they want to tell and figuring out how to carry on without Jessica Walters.  

I stumbled across an Archer rerun a month or so ago and realized I hadn't watched the last few seasons.  Marathoned the past three seasons in the space of about three weeks.  Enjoyed last season (the first post-coma season).  Danger Island and Archer 1999 had their moments.  In general, i think the coma seasons sound funnier than they actually are.  

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Stills from the live action Cowboy Bebop have come out, and.... *chef's kiss*

Pal, I am sold. The aesthetic is exactly what I wanted from this(without knowing that I wanted it beforehand). Still curious to see how they handle Ed in the future, or if we ever even get her.

• Like 1

Miyam Bialik will take over hosting duties for Jeopardy while a permanent host is picked. (She is still in contention, along with Ken Jennings.)

And of course because the internet is nothing if not.... thorough... Blossom is defending herself over claims she is an anti-vaxxer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eoae said:

Twelve seasons seems more than enough for Archer, but, yeah, FX is interested in keeping the show going.  Couple bits I've read lately made it sound like they've more or less agreed on money and it's more a matter of the creators coming up with a story they want to tell and figuring out how to carry on without Jessica Walters.  

I stumbled across an Archer rerun a month or so ago and realized I hadn't watched the last few seasons.  Marathoned the past three seasons in the space of about three weeks.  Enjoyed last season (the first post-coma season).  Danger Island and Archer 1999 had their moments.  In general, i think the coma seasons sound funnier than they actually are.  

There is no Archer without Mallory, but if they want a further debased show, good for them I guess. In general the theme seasons sucked, though the archer vice season was when it jumped the shark(do the kids still say that?). There were a couple of good episodes in the LA season. The movie star plot was not funny. The coma seasons varied, but yeah were wildly ub even. Its like the writers thought it was enough to have the sight gags without actual jokes.

Yeah I really don't know how they get rid of Mallory and have the show still work. Archer the character would probably be on suicide watch since he is such a mama's boy. (And yes, I am of the opinion that the series jumped the shark long ago too, and quite possibly wasn't that great in the first place. Novel animation though.)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:33 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miyam Bialik will take over hosting duties for Jeopardy while a permanent host is picked. (She is still in contention, along with Ken Jennings.)

And of course because the internet is nothing if not.... thorough... Blossom is defending herself over claims she is an anti-vaxxer. 

The anti-vax stuff is bad but the anti C-section stuff is way more cruel and inexplicable.

Re: Archer I'm way more forgiving than most about the chances they took with the theme seasons and mixing things up, but without Jessica Walter there's no show.  At most I would say do a mega-episde/mini-movie thing wrapping up the show with them dealing with the aftermath of Mallory's death.