DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 8/5/2021 at 2:58 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Mayim Bialik is firmly my choice. She did very well.

Y: The Last Man

Streaming September 13 on FX on Hulu. Finally.

If they did this show right, it could be a popular one, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls and the actor portraying Yorick has to have a strong likeability quality because the character is flawed.  Some streaming service/cable channel should have done the show years ago, but we'll see.

Edited by _MJ_

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I said in the comic book movie/tv thread, i don't think it will read well in 2021. 

Best case scenario is that this adaptation can serve as an update to this early 2000s comic (hopefully with some Vaughan suggestions) and not a 100 percent scene for scene/word-for word adaptation yet still keep the same high points and spirit of the comic.  Easier said than done, obviously.

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Colbert just had Stephen King on, asked him what his top five stories/novels of his own were, and the first one out of his mouth was "Survivor Type". 

Someone really needs to make that into a Creepshow segment. 

They already did, although it's animated. Keifer Sutherland does the voice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:15 PM, RandomAct said:

Surprised at the lack of Ted Lasso talk, but the second season has been really good. I like how all of the main characters have changed and evolved in natural ways, and the sports psychologist is a nice tough. Today's episode was one of the better in the series.

Every episode has made me tear up and every episode has been fantastic. Roy fucking Kent is maybe the best character on tv right now. Nearly every scene with him is a homerun.

"You were a shit manager!"

Last saw him as a homeless person on Shameless, so this will be awesome. 

I dunno, you say Tim Burton is a turnoff, but Rob Zombie is trying to put together a film of The Munsters. I think both are suited for the position despite all evidence to the contrary, as far as making watchable films (Tim's batting average is probably worse in this respect considering he has more material). 

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Luis Guzmán as "debonair" Gomez Addams seems like a miscast to me, but we'll see.  

That was my first thought.  I mean, he's great but "debonair"?  Nah.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Dish just cut a deal with HBO so there's a free week of HBO (and Cinemax) on there right now. What should I watch? We cut it off when we had DirecTV right around the time The Deuce was getting going, so I thought about watching some of that. Is there any True Detective post-season 1 worth its salt? How about documentaries, because there are a slew of them? Sadly I do not see Mortal Kombat (or the Sopranos movie though I'm not surprised) on there yet. Last night I was surprised by a recommend for Boardwalk Empire so I watched the series finale for the first time since it aired; it's still really good. 

Watch How To with John Wilson.  It takes a little bit to get used to his delivery, but it's one of my favorite things I've watched in a long time.

You should know that I used to shoot/edit video, so his editing choices are my #1 thing for loving this show. But, I still think it's amazing for other reasons. There's just really nothing like it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I remember it being up at Shudder's website for a hot second and then it was gone.  It's not available on AMC+ On Demand so it might've been an online only thing.

It's not really surprising that he mentioned The Stand, Misery, and The Body, but I thought that The Gunslinger, IT!, The Shining, or Carrie would make the list before Lisey's Story.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Last saw him as a homeless person on Shameless, so this will be awesome. 

I dunno, you say Tim Burton is a turnoff, but Rob Zombie is trying to put together a film of The Munsters. I think both are suited for the position despite all evidence to the contrary, as far as making watchable films (Tim's batting average is probably worse in this respect considering he has more material). 

Oh dear god... 

I mean, I've never seen Zombie try his hand at comedy. Though I could see him doing a pitch-black comedy that would fit the Munsters world very well.  

Burton, as I think I've said before, has had one good movie in the last twenty years. I love the Addams Family and am terrified at what take he has on it. We'll just have to see.  The cast looks incredible, but I just do not trust him. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Every episode has made me tear up and every episode has been fantastic. Roy fucking Kent is maybe the best character on tv right now. Nearly every scene with him is a homerun.

"You were a shit manager!"

"I hope he dies of the incurable disease of being a little bitch" is an all time great personal slam that I plan to use forever. Roy was always lowkey the heart of the show, and is becoming more so now. Liking the redemption arc for Jamie too.

8 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

"I hope he dies of the incurable disease of being a little bitch" is an all time great personal slam that I plan to use forever. Roy was always lowkey the heart of the show, and is becoming more so now. Liking the redemption arc for Jamie too.

THAT WAS THE LINE! The absolute best Roy Kent line in the series so far. "The Prince Prick of all Pricks" is close too. 

Count me in for enjoying Jamie's redemption arc, but I have a feeling he's going to fuck it up. I can already kinda see where things are going. They referenced how they have a Premier League budget for a EFL/Championship League team and now I can see Dubai Air pulling their sponsorship and leaving the team cash strapped.

I'll say this though...If Sam gets moved, I'm going to riot.

• Like 1

I missed most of Bialik's time on the show, so I can't comment on how she did.

Personally, I liked Jennings. I have this theory about the host of Jeopardy. I know that Alex didn't know the answers to all the questions. I know that he had them on a card in front of him. But, I feel like he could know those answers. Does that make sense? I need the host to be someone that comes off as smart enough that I can buy them knowing all these things. Because of his success on the show, I buy that with Jennings. Now, I believe I've heard that Bialik is incredibly smart, so that would work in her favor. I don't think I can feel that way about Richards.

• Like 1

Lost in all this host talk is that the current champion Matt Amodio has climbed up to be the 4th most winning player ever at $440,600 over 14 days and has generally been destroying the competition with runaway after runaway.  

Apparently the strategy he uses has been controversial as he answer's every question with "What is...?" no matter if it is grammatically correct or not and has attributed that to his success with added time and brain power not being used on that.  

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:23 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Thanks for this!  The second story is by Joe Hill, from his book of short stories, Full Throttle.  It's an excellent book.  I'd recommend most of Hill's stuff except maybe The Fireman and Strange Weather.

Re: Lisey's Story, apparently on a Reddit thing King said it was his favorite out of ALL his novels. That covers a lot of ground. 

Re: Addams Family, I just remembered how great it was to revisit the film as the last feature I saw at the Art Theater before it closed, and now I want Tim Burton to be locked in a box and dropped to the bottom of the ocean before revisiting the property. I don't know if I should feel better or worse that it's a TV series instead of a movie. The series shows up on my DVR weekly even though I never watch it. 

Well its been 2 years now since ABC axed the the sequel to NYPD BLUE so of course I remind myself of this and opt to start rewtchingit againand suddenly I realize that I keep rewatching older shows because most new shows can't hold my attention these days. But fuck it, if I got to watch 12 seasons of he redemption of Andy Sipowicz who am I to complain.

(For the Record, the version of BLU would've had Fancy as Chief of Police and Kim Delaney  retruning as Diane Russel as the new Lt. of the 15th precinct and man I'm so don for that concept. Of course if they could squeeze in Charlotte Ross nd Gordon Clapp cameos I'd be thrilled)

James