DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 hours ago, EVA said:

I really enjoyed the first episode of 100 FOOT WAVE on HBO. Kind of a spiritual successor to FREE SOLO, as a breathtakingly shot portrait of a dude with some issues who is chasing his doom via a weirdly specific athletic obsession for little apparent reason. I’m not sure there’s 6 episodes here, I’m in for now.

I made the same comparison to my wife and I discovered while watching 100 Foot Wave that I might be more afraid of water and the ocean more than flying or heights or anything else. I sat there for the hour or however long that first episode was nearly having a panic attack the entire time watching these surfers skipping across waves and water like stones. And then their talk about how when he wiped out that the waves were so constant and vicious that he would just keep getting sucked back out into the ocean. So you're gasping for air, get hit with a wave, try to swim forward, get another gasp of air, get hit with another wave, rinse and repeat. It's insane. Fuck all of that.

But I'll gladly watch it on TV though.

EDIT: And I will just add that it's amazing to see just how much of this guy's life was recorded and him shooting out from the barrel of that huge wave was fucking crazy. I popped huge for that.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

I watched the first 7 episodes of the Sopranos for the first time last night. I really, really like this show.

It’s funny that the people who play the priest and Carm went on to be (extremely toxic) lovers in Nurse Jackie years later.

Speaking of WWDITS, my wife and I have been watching Wellington Paranormal and we love it. I worry that the format will get a little old after awhile, but the first handful of episodes have kept us laughing pretty hard.

Watching the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos. Just the second time seeing it and damn were Paulie and Christopher so great here, especially Paulie's wild haired reactions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, driver said:

Watching the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos. Just the second time seeing it and damn were Paulie and Christopher so great here, especially Paulie's wild haired reactions.

Pine Barrens is the best episode of a television show in the entire history of television, I will fight anyone who doesn’t agree. 

38 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Pine Barrens is the best episode of a television show in the entire history of television, I will fight anyone who doesn’t agree. 

Funny, you spelled "Two Cathedrals" wrong

James

• Thanks 1

Apparently it was a mild heart attack and they managed to clear the blockage without surgery, in case anybody wanted to know more. 

Anyway, I just remembered that they cancelled Arthur (the kid's cartoon) from PBS after 25 seasons and haven't given a reason. It was on Desus and Mero as a topic of discussion for whatever reason last night. Figured you parents would like to know about it, just in case. 

Arthur had some staying power and moreso than any other non-CTW show (come to think of it besides SS the CTW track record is meh at best as far as longevity). Hell that theme song of Arthur's gets stuck in your head

James

I finished watching FANCY LADY X-MEN and I kinda liked it.  Then again, I'm pretty sure I could watch Laura Donnelly read the phone book.  I could do without all the religious wibble, but I guess that does make it a little more period accurate. 

Mostly, I had a problem with their willingness to leave gaps that weren't dealt with until the finale.  I can see *why* they did it, but I think they could have done it in a better way, instead of having one episode where True can't even say "Galanthi" without stopping herself, while in Eps 4 & 5, the inner circle people just say it offhand like we're supposed to know what they mean in a sense beyond "the glowy pixie dust thing".  The whole Maladie bit in Ep. 5 really didn't work, either; just threadbare and lame at best. 

It's an interesting set of ideas, but if all they do with it is the episodes remaining, that's probably not the worst thing: shows that grasp for big, splashy concepts rarely come close to reaching their ambitions.

Dave has been really weird this season. The direction of Dave becoming hyper egotistical seemed to make sense at first until it really made me start hating the guy. The first time I wasn't annoyed by him was when he let Mike listen to Ally's Song, but then he fucked that up too. I really want him and Ally to get back together, but now I don't think it's going to happen.

Season 1 ended with what I thought was one of the best finales ever. The closing rap echoing his real life first appearance on TBC and ending with CTG going, "what's your name" and Dave looking at the screen when the Dave logo popped up was fucking fire. It made me think that was the start of Dave really hustling and putting it all together, but instead he's just been a fucking asshole, Elz is even more of an asshole, Emma got stomped all over by Dave's ego, Mike is just a lapdog who won't call Dave an asshole, and the writing refuses to let Dave back down from being a piece of shit. I thought that the moment with his parents would have finally made Dave realize he has been a piece of shit, and then he's right back to stomping all over Ally's feelings.

The show is still good, but man, it's not "enjoyable."

Also, not nearly enough GaTa. I think I would rather watch a series about GaTa at this point.

The next Jeopardy host will be...Mike Richards. He's the EP of Jeopardy and one of the execs in charge of the search for a new host.

No one except for Mike Richards is particularly happy about this.