DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

This would be the second attempt to launch a "How I Met your male parent".  The first died on the vine after CBS decided they hated the cast.

Well that and everybody was so pissed off after the ending of HIMYM it would have died pretty quick regardless. Is the dad going to be dead too?

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's a good thing syndication no longer matters as much, because no one's watching HIMYM, Lost, or Game of Thrones.

It is funny you say that - I noticed earlier on in the pandemic that HIMYM wasn't as in heavy rotation with the syndication as it used to be. I stumble across it every once in awhile now but not much.

Meanwhile - you can watch a good 4 hours a day of Big Bang Theory

Did Lost ever have a syndication run? I feel like I would have finally finished it if it did

Lost seems like the worst possible show to try and watch in syndication.

I know I see reruns on one of the channels on Sling but I don't recall which ones.

Just now, RIPPA said:

Also - why the fuck is ION showing what appears to be 24 hours straight of Chicago PD?

Old people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Old people.

I mean obviously

But a 24 hour marathon?

And I am deeply entertained by UP TV's current syndication plan - 3 hours of Little House on The Prairie, 3 hours of Gilmore Girls and then Reba until everyone passes out

• Like 2

What else do old people have to do?

And here is perhaps my hottest TV take: Reba is a genuinely very good sitcom and way better than any non-actor vanity project has the right to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also - why the fuck is ION showing what appears to be 24 hours straight of Chicago PD?

Every time I stay in a hotel and put on TNT, TBS, or USA at least one of the channels is showing non-stop episodes of NCIS, SVU, or some other police procedural so the formula appeals to some demographic (I'm guessing old people, like Zimbra said).

Hasn't 'churn out endless seasons of cop shows' been CBS's strategy for the past decade or two?

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Did Lost ever have a syndication run? I feel like I would have finally finished it if it did

It had a very short run on Sci-Fi (might have been SyFy by then).  Didn't last long, so I'm guessing it bombed.  IRRC, Sci-Fi/SyFy aired it in four hour blocks, which isn't the best way to watch the show since once you miss a few eps, you might as well just quit and watch it via DVD or On Demand.

Edited by Eoae

On 4/21/2021 at 7:58 PM, supremebve said:

I'm pretty sure that B-Dub would have won if her hollandaise didn't break.  That's one of those things that could literally happen to anybody, but it's also something that should be taken into account  in a competition like this.  She knows that if she lets a hollandaise sit too long it can break, and she let it sit too long and it cost her the competition.  It's not bad booking, it is putting the dominant babyface champ in a position where she has to do some soul searching before the comeback.

B-Dub is a terrible babyface - She's TJP winning the Cruiserweight Classic.  Maneet is a delusional Bo Dallas heel. 

On 4/22/2021 at 12:14 PM, RIPPA said:

Ion - and whover owns them - runs shows into the ground.  It seems to be their programming strategy.  For a long while, Criminal Minds and Blue Bloods marathons were on several days a week.  It seemed like Blue Bloods was always on some channel or other.

Been noticing NCIS: New Orleans in heavy rotation on a couple different channels.  Ugh.  I like procedurals, and they generally have high replay ability for me, but I've always found NCIS: NO to be a chore.  Bad writing, lack of cast chemistry, too much cast turnover, etc.  I've never thought NCIS or NCIS: LA were good, exactly, but most season are at least watchable.

The Handmaid's Tale returns today with three episodes, I'm pretty psyched but my wife is even more so. She fucking loves the show and it's something that we end up watching together, which means no wrestling for me tonight but that's okay ?

The Night Court sequel series (at least that is how it is being described) will be bringing Dan Larroquette back as Dan Fielding

Deadline also reports that Melissa Rauch will be playing Judge Abby Stone. While not official but going by her name - it appears the character will be Harry Stone's (played by the late Harry Anderson) daughter.

Rauch's production company is the one executive producing the show and she is the one who pitched the idea to WBTV (the studio behind the original) so it is not surprising she is in the lead.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dan Larroquette

John

Unfortunate that me and Dean's fave Markie Post isn't coming back. She's still working...

EDIT: I just remembered that Marsha Warfield is still working too; she was doing standup in The Comedy Store show.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I ran across a NIGHT COURT rerun a few weeks back and I had completely forgotten that Post wasn’t event on the show for the first couple of years.  Apparently there was a lot of cast turnover I didn’t remember.

Speaking of old sitcoms, I’ve been rewatching CHEERS for the past couple months on Hulu, and I am blown away that they tried to give the Tortellis a spin-off.  I mean, all those early Nick and Loretta guest spots are absolute bangers, but those were obviously not the sort of people that anybody would want to spend more than 1 or 2 episodes a season with.  That there was a whole show built around them is nuts.

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

John

Unfortunate that me and Dean's fave Markie Post isn't coming back. She's still working...

EDIT: I just remembered that Marsha Warfield is still working too; she was doing standup in The Comedy Store show.

Mmmmmmmmm Markie Post......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1