DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 9:21 PM, Matt D said:

There's no Expanse thread but I've been pretty vocal about the books being so, so much better. We're just starting Season 5 so I could be wrong but... (Season 5 spoilers:)

Reveal hidden contents

We meet Holden in episode 1 sitting in a bar and eating ramen. He's nudged by Monica Stuart to look into missing ships that might be affected by the protomolecule. That makes him go to Fred and starts his arc for the season, etc., etc. In the books, however, you have a whole section of how he got to that point and his mindset leading up to Monica approaching him. By this point, Alex, Amos, and Naomi have all been off the ship for a bit and he's going absolutely stir crazy. He's without purpose, without family, incredibly worried and self-conscious about Naomi leaving without letting him know what was going on. Lots of time in his head to set up the exact condition where he's going to actually listen to Monica's concerns. It's not about her or the concerns but about him and his mental state. In the show, he looks a little unkempt and casual and vaguely bored as he slurps the ramen and it's much more about her concerns driving him forward. Everything's dumber and more shallow and it's just about driving the plot forward mechanically.

I'm way behind on S4.  I need to get caught up.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 6:07 PM, RIPPA said:

My favorite thing about Young Rock is how Meltzer and the like are treating it like a documentary

Are you trying to tell me that Everybody Hates Chis was not historically accurate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if there's been a more acclaimed show that started as a promotional commercisl.

Other than Cavemen, which was a disaster, are there any others that exist?

Paramount+ is doing a reunion of the OG Real World cast, just like the original show(I was 17 when it first aired) it'll most likely suck me in and have me yelling at the tv. If this gets a lot of buzz I wonder if they'll do reunions of other casts, SF might be a tricky one since I'm sure none of them want to be in the same state as Puck and same county as Rachel, but I really want a London reunion of just them laying around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-P_KJ3i3o

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sounds like I’m going to need something callled IMDB TV. Boschman Forever! Boschman Returns! The Dark Bosch Rises! 

IMDB TV is free on Prime and it has commercials.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Paramount+ is doing a reunion of the OG Real World cast, just like the original show(I was 17 when it first aired) it'll most likely suck me in and have me yelling at the tv. If this gets a lot of buzz I wonder if they'll do reunions of other casts, SF might be a tricky one since I'm sure none of them want to be in the same state as Puck and same county as Rachel, but I really want a London reunion of just them laying around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-P_KJ3i3o

The original show was groundbreaking and interesting.  It morphed into garbage but that first season (and probably the next couple) were interesting social experiments.  The cast was going in blind and it felt more authentic than later ones.  A reunion should be interesting.

Edit: Apparently, Eric didn't live with the rest, presumably because of COVID: https://tv.avclub.com/eric-nies-lived-separately-from-rest-of-real-world-reun-1846402126

p.s. Am I the only one who thinks the cast looks remarkably good for 30 years and is surprised that they're all still alive?

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tabe said:

The original show was groundbreaking and interesting.  It morphed into garbage but that first season (and probably the next couple) were interesting social experiments.  The cast was going in blind and it felt more authentic than later ones.  A reunion should be interesting.

Edit: Apparently, Eric didn't live with the rest, presumably because of COVID: https://tv.avclub.com/eric-nies-lived-separately-from-rest-of-real-world-reun-1846402126

p.s. Am I the only one who thinks the cast looks remarkably good for 30 years and is surprised that they're all still alive?

Miami was when it started to go down hill, that's when most of the cast were more interested in being on "The Real World" than being a "struggle artist" or "young person finding themselves" who went on the show, but Miami did have some of the funniest moments of the series. 

• Like 1

If CNN were to cease exist as is and become 24 hours of Stanley Tucci going all over the place and eating the best local cuisine he's ever eaten, that'd be great. "Fine, I'll sit through you briefly touching on historical fascism because I know I'm about to see the bad guy from The Terminal eat the greatest fried artichoke of all time." Just light, pleasant, and inoffensive. If you can't get Tucci to make all that content, find other actors people generally like. "If you listen to us talk about Hurricane Katrina for sixty seconds, we promise you that on the other side you'll get to watch an elated John Goodman eat the best po' boy in America." Hell yeah. 

I think what I'm describing is the Food Network, but with no competition shows or restaurant makeovers and much bigger celebrities. Which sounds like something nice to have on in the background. 

On 3/5/2021 at 3:37 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Hmm, Bill Lawrence is one of the creators on Ted Lasso. Between that and all the praise, I'm pretty intrigued now.

It's decent to good, I just binged the entire first season in a few hours. It doesn't remake the wheel or anything, but it's a perfectly good comedy series with some heart to it. I'll watch a S2, but it's not like it hooked me into wanting another season RIGHT NOW.

I bought the 12 Pro Max so I've got this for a year - looking like it might sit their for awhile. What else is good on here? I'm on the season finale of Mythic Quest right now, I'll probably check out the Billie Eilish documentary, maybe Cherry, but the other shows don't look super interesting. The politics of Tehran doesn't really interest me, and it kind of seems like a rip-off of Homeland in a way.

I am not sure if anyone watched it around here but it has come out that Kim's Convivence will end with its upcoming 5th season

Basically the co-creators decided to move onto other things and the producers decided they couldn't continue the show