DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Amber Benson backed up Charisma's claims as well.

Which both Amber and Charisma it's been known that they and Joss had issues, though never this detailed before. Sarah coming out to support them is definitely new to my knowledge though. 

At any rate, it sucks. He's been my favorite creator of fictional media for decades, but that doesn't excuse a damn thing. 

I own basically everything he's ever done, so I've clearly financially supported him for a long time, but between his ex-wife's claims, the Justice League accusations, and now this... Well hopefully his career is over.

• Like 1

I like Whedon's work but always got the feeling he was an asshole so none of this surprises me just goign off of the bits we have heard over the years. It is good to see the some of the cast getting behind Carpenter for this.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Also, Michelle Trachtenberg shared SMG's post and at least implied he was abusive towards her as well, when she was a teenager no less. 

And she went back to edit her comment to state there was a rule that "Joss can't be alone with Michelle again" so that's not good.

• Sad 1

On 2/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Amber Benson backed up Charisma's claims as well.

Which both Amber and Charisma it's been known that they and Joss had issues, though never this detailed before. Sarah coming out to support them is definitely new to my knowledge though. 

At any rate, it sucks. He's been my favorite creator of fictional media for decades, but that doesn't excuse a damn thing. 

I own basically everything he's ever done, so I've clearly financially supported him for a long time, but between his ex-wife's claims, the Justice League accusations, and now this... Well hopefully his career is over.

My thoughts are with Charisma Carpenter, Amber Benson and Michelle Trachtenberg. It's telling that Sarah Michelle Gellar has supported them, distancing herself from Whedon. There's the Justice League allegations with Gal Gadot and Ray Fisher. I also thought of you, @Brian Fowler knowing how big a fan you were of Joss Whedon. You've put out a great post there.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And she went back to edit her comment to state there was a rule that "Joss can't be alone with Michelle again" so that's not good.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yikes. 

Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Now I'm wondering just what he did and why there was no official punishment back then for it.

Survivors for not feeling believed, Joss' clout. Different times. We say different times but it isn't acceptable any time. Period. Me too has changed things for the better getting rid of Weinstein, Manson, Singer, Spacey and you'd think it's over for Whedon now.

I. Fucking. Love. Ted Lasso.

We're only through 4 episodes, but they've somehow made the most pure and happy tv series ever. It's impossible for me to watch an episode and walk away smiling a ton.

• Like 2

I posted my doubts about Hip Hop Uncovered on FX back when the ads came out.

Those doubts have been shattered. 

This is the real shit about the OG street people that are still the power brokers in hip hop going back to the '80s. Rollin 60s, Supreme Crew, etc. Strictly criminal. It's also got everybody from a diddle eye Joe to damned if I know, from Snoop to Ice T to T.I. to Mike Tyson.

I'm gonna enjoy this a lot.

EDIT: In case you think this is gonna be sleazy and exploitative it isn't. It delves into the childhoods of all the principles and really humanizes them, showing how fucked up their childhoods were, the impoverished and bombed-out nature of the landscapes they lived in, and their very early and quick progression into crime. One guy who ended up a major stickup kid flat-out says "You can say I was raised by wolves."

Edited by Curt McGirt

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I. Fucking. Love. Ted Lasso.

We're only through 4 episodes, but they've somehow made the most pure and happy tv series ever. It's impossible for me to watch an episode and walk away smiling a ton.

It just keeps getting better. Single-handedly justifies Apple TV existing.

• Like 1

How about some bad TV discussion??

I don't know why I'm rewatching - yes, rewatching - Absentia but I am. The first season is not so bad, except the husband is the most wooden actor since Laura in High Fidelity. I'd only watched that far before, and it's too bad I didn't stop. S2 is somehow an inversion: it's terrible writing, terrible character development, especially terrible directing but the wooden husband somehow figured out how to quit being so awful! Maybe he went to acting class with Barry. Unless you can watch Stana Katic read the phone book (and I probably could), avoid, avoid, avoid. 

I think HBO Max should be getting a show called It’s A Sin this week or next (aired here in Ireland a few weeks ago). I would highly recommend it. 

It’s about the AIDS pandemic in the 80s and focuses on 5 friends that live in London. One of the best shows I’ve seen in ages. 

And now some writers who worked under Whedon are speaking. Jose Molina says he enjoyed making female writers cry in meetings, and Marti Noxon had a more generic message of support for Charisma et al.

• Sad 1

Got Apple TV free for a year as part of an iPad purchase. And with a nine-year-old at home, all Apple TV viewing at home is nothing but Snoopy.

"Snoopy in Space" was harmless edu-tainment with Snoopy and Woodstock go to the International Space Station and explore the Moon. It plays well to its audience -- my daughter wanted to know more about the U.S. space program and the solar system after watching all 13 episodes. Bonus points as well for Franklin taking the lead in the early episodes to explain the solar system to the audience -- not many Franklin-centric stories, if at all, in the "Peanuts" TV/film universe, so this was refreshing to see him in a "leading role", so to say. The shows are geared to the under-12 set, so don't expect any grown-up humor as in previous specials.

Same thing goes for "The Snoopy Show," which is pretty much a reboot/retelling of Snoopy's role in the Peanuts universe aimed at young viewers. The writers go overboard with Snoopy and Woodstock laughing and "chatting" with one another, and some episodes lose gas pretty quickly (and each "minisode" is only eight or so minutes in length). But it's good for a few chuckles each show.