DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

One of the dudes from What We Do in the Shadows was just on Drunk History playing (of course) Vlad Tepes, which made me wonder: how are they gonna deal with COVID on the show? I think it'll be... interesting. They might not want to touch on it at all but treated right I think they might be able to eek some comedy out of it. 

Wait, then I read the credits and it's Seth Rogen as Vlad? That does not look like him at all. That was some damn good facial hair if it was fake. Honestly I think the credit's just another joke, because that was Jemaine Clement from the movie.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I started watching Succession since I have HBO for the rest of the month. Between "old bread" and "funky chowder" in the first 2 episodes, there'd better be a strange food descriptor in every episode, or it'll be a disappointment. 

Also, why the Hell did Adam McKay direct episodes if he was going to cock up his part with all the zoom zoom zoom close-ups that look like something off YouTube?

Edited by Contentious C

Fuck that show.  I had to park 7 blocks away from my site in Newark during a 42 customer service outage because that show was filming and then had to walk 20 blocks out of my was, fighting through PA's the whole time, because they told no one they were blocking off access to the city's major telecom hub...

Fucking CBS.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 4

Anybody ever watch EVIL on CBS?  Started the 1st season on Netflix recently for lack of anything better to watch and discovered that...it’s good?  Like, actually really good?  Way more interesting than CBS shows are typically allowed to be.  It seems to occupy a nice middle ground between your standard CBS police procedural and prestige cable drama.  Maybe call it an “elevated procedural”?

Granted, I don’t watch a ton of network TV these days, but they seem to get away with a lot on this show.  I mean, it’s not HANNIBAL or anything for real, but...by CBS standards, this is probably their HANNIBAL.

• Like 1

The Steve Austin episode with Ice-T tonight was pretty good. Lots of information about T's past. Steve tells the Yokozuna diarrhea story after T brings up having to clench his cheeks through a whole Body Count set ? Then they go to a shooting range and T shoots the biggest fucking pistol I've ever seen in my life. 

Also, I was just watching Colbert and they had Gilbert Gottfried in drag as Samantha from Sex in the City ?

Saw an ad for a new FX docuseries titled Hip Hop Uncovered coming out February 12. When I tried to find out something -- anything -- about it from the FX website it gave me videos that didn't work and barely any written information. Apparently it's about the underground brokers of hip hop but no clue whether it's gonna be someone like RZA's brother Divine or some asshole like Damon Dash. Maybe both. 

They're finally showing Miami Vice reruns again, on Starz-Encore Action. Turned it on and there's Brion James AND Edward James Olmos. 

I immediately set the DVR up to 'Record Series'.

EDIT: And it just dawned on me that of course both were in Blade Runner

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Started watching Mister Mayor on NBC cause I like Ted Danson. It's not horrible but feels like a Parks knockoff show. Holly Hunter is funny as Ted's righthand person. He gets into shenanigans and she has to clean it up. Lot of cameos too since it's a Tina Fey show.

I'm also watching NCIS New Orleans. It's interesting how they are doing it based on COVID.  Still a fan of the show but they probably should have ended when LaSalle got killed off.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:04 PM, EVA said:

Anybody ever watch EVIL on CBS?  Started the 1st season on Netflix recently for lack of anything better to watch and discovered that...it’s good?  Like, actually really good?  Way more interesting than CBS shows are typically allowed to be.  It seems to occupy a nice middle ground between your standard CBS police procedural and prestige cable drama.  Maybe call it an “elevated procedural”?

Granted, I don’t watch a ton of network TV these days, but they seem to get away with a lot on this show.  I mean, it’s not HANNIBAL or anything for real, but...by CBS standards, this is probably their HANNIBAL.

Just started watching with my wife and we're both into it so far. 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Tim Evans said:

Started watching Mister Mayor on NBC cause I like Ted Danson. It's not horrible but feels like a Parks knockoff show. Holly Hunter is funny as Ted's righthand person. He gets into shenanigans and she has to clean it up. Lot of cameos too since it's a Tina Fey show.

This may be common knowledge, but it was originally conceived as a 30 Rock spin-off with Jack Donaghy in the lead role as mayor of NY.  When they couldn’t reach a deal, they cast Danson coming off of the Good Place and moved it to to LA at his request.

• Like 1