DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Well just a reminder that the shit sandwich is nowhere near over

Pretty much any TV show filming in LA has had production shut down

More than two dozen Southern California-based television series have been place on extended hiatus amid calls for a pause in production activity as COVID infection rates rise in Los Angeles County.

Warner Bros. TV confirmed Thursday that series productions such as comedies “Mom,” “B Positive,” “Bob Hearts Abishola” for CBS, and dramas “Shameless” (Showtime) and “You” (Netflix) will not resume filming next week as scheduled. The studio aims to return the week of Jan. 11 but will evaluate as conditions evolve.

Universal TV has similarly pressed pause on six comedies — NBC’s “Mr. Mayor,” “Kenan,” “Good Girls” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”; HBO Max’s “Hacks”; and Netflix’s “Never Have I Ever.” UTV is also eyeing a Jan. 11 return date for most of its shows, although “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is not expected to resume shooting before Jan. 18.

Walt Disney-owned 20th Television and ABC Signature together have extended production hiatuses on 16 shows: “911” (Fox); 911: Lone Star (Fox); American Crime Story: “Impeachment” (FX); “American Horror Story” (FX); “American Housewife” (ABC); “Big Shot” (Disney Plus); “Black-ish” (ABC); “Grey’s Anatomy” (ABC); “Last Man Standing” (Fox); “Love, Victor” (Hulu); “Mayans” (FX); “Mixed-ish” (ABC); “The Orville” (Fox); Rebel (ABC); “Station 19” (ABC); “This is Us” (NBC). None of the Disney shows are expected to return to production before Jan. 18.

Sony Pictures Television has extended the hiatus of ABC’s “The Goldbergs” and Netflix’s “Atypical,” both of which were slated to resume production next week, back a week. “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” are still expected to resume shooting the week of Jan. 11, as previously planned.

Spokespersons for Disney, Warner Bros., Sony, and Universal TV declined to comment.

The moves follow the decision Tuesday by CBS Television Studio to extend the holiday production hiatus after Los Angeles County suggested that shooting in the L.A. be suspended amid a surge in active coronavirus cases.

“Although music, TV and film productions are allowed to operate, we ask you to strongly consider pausing work for a few weeks during this catastrophic surge in COVID cases,” public health department representatives wrote in a Dec. 24 email, according to FilmLA. “Identify and delay higher risk activities, and focus on lower-risk work for now, if at all possible.”

According to the L.A. Times, Los Angeles County on Wednesday hit a single-day high with 262 coronavirus-related deaths, surpassing 10,000 such deaths since the onset of the pandemic.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/warner-bros-tv-covid-los-angeles-mom-hiatus-1234877366/

I binged S2 of his dark materials yesterday.

the good thing is not remembering the little things in the plot, so I wasn’t too spoiled by some of the details. 

It was cool seeing Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont) again. 

Bruce Greenwood just disappeared for a stretch of JFC (John From Cincinnati, obviously) and David Milch being who he is I wondered if he canned the lead of his show. Turns out he was off filming a movie? What a mess. 

Ed O'Neill still should have been in Deadwood. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

The wife, after I watch two episodes of The Price Is Right on Pluto: "You're really obsessed with this!"

Also the wife: *binges Bridgerton twice in two weeks*

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business-Neutral.jp

15 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Bruce Greenwood just disappeared for a stretch of JFC (John From Cincinnati, obviously) and David Milch being who he is I wondered if he canned the lead of his show. Turns out he was off filming a movie? What a mess. 

Especially when I am pretty sure the movie he was filming was the National Treasure sequel

Has anyone here checked out the Pratchett adaptation The Watch? The reviews I have seen were less than enthusiastic (to put is mildly) and made me afraid of watching the show, especially considering that the Watch was my favorite story setting of the Discworld books.

Clancy Brown looked old and out of it in Sleepy Hollow and that was years ago. Digging him out for this seems...not great? I'll basically just entirely pessimistic towards whatever this Dexter turd of a season is going to be. They had multiple opportunities to produce a good season after the Lithgow season and it only got worse and worse, capped by having the worst season of TV and the worst series finale ever. I don't think there is any way to dig out of that hole.

I thought the first two eps of the Watch were average.  I'm going to stick with for a couple weeks before I make up my mind.  I gather it's not terribly faithful to the source material, but that doesn't bother me and i wouldn't notice any changes anyway.  Actually, I was less interested when I found out it was based on something out of Terry Pratchett's novels (I didn't know that until a few days ago).

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I thought the first two eps of the Watch were average.  I'm going to stick with for a couple weeks before I make up my mind.  I gather it's not terribly faithful to the source material, but that doesn't bother me and i wouldn't notice any changes anyway.  Actually, I was less interested when I found out it was based on something out of Terry Pratchett's novels (I didn't know that until a few days ago).

Due to you not liking Pratchett's books or their adaptations? In case of the latter: the live-action adaptions of the Discworld stuff have been subpar so far anyway. The Hogfather completely missed the tone of Pratchett's writing, The Colour of Magic is a book that is not particularly well adaptable and Going Postal was fine, but nothing special. The Watch stuff should in theory translate pretty well to the screen (except maybe the first book).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Clancy Brown looked old and out of it in Sleepy Hollow and that was years ago. Digging him out for this seems...not great? I'll basically just entirely pessimistic towards whatever this Dexter turd of a season is going to be. They had multiple opportunities to produce a good season after the Lithgow season and it only got worse and worse, capped by having the worst season of TV and the worst series finale ever. I don't think there is any way to dig out of that hole.

Not to take up for the show, because I expect less than nothing of this, but Brown's younger than Lithgow was when he had his season. But I'm kinda in the tank for Brown, even the older, lumbering stuff recently in Billions, The Crown, etc.

Did he have any action scenes in Daredevil, Punisher, or The Mandalorian? I'd be curious to see what those look like, even though I'm not expecting a ton of physicality from him in this. 

36 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Due to you not liking Pratchett's books or their adaptations? 

Funny sci-fi/fantasy doesn’t hold much appeal for me.  I read a few of Pratchett’s novels many years ago (decades) and vaguely remember not liking them as as much as I thought I would, but, really, it’s been so long that I don’t remember which books I read much less the specifics.  

A friend recommended Ted Lasso, which was a show I honestly forgot had existed (I had also forgot it started as an NBC Premier League ad), and I finally used my Apple TV+ membership after having it for over 6 months (I know I still need to see Boys State among others).

Anyways, Ted Lasso is a heartwarming, funny, easy to binge show that I would recommend to anyone. The initial premise is pretty much Major League meets English Football meets a Scrubs sensibility if you need any more reason to watch.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:54 PM, Eoae said:

Funny sci-fi/fantasy doesn’t hold much appeal for me.  I read a few of Pratchett’s novels many years ago (decades) and vaguely remember not liking them as as much as I thought I would, but, really, it’s been so long that I don’t remember which books I read much less the specifics.  

Fair enough. Though the Watch books (besides the first one Guards! Guards!) in general (as some - not all - of Pratchett's later Discworld books) are more serious in tone than his other, especially earlier, writing. Especially the book Night Watch is much more drama than satire (there are parallels to Les Misérables in plotlines and setting, but not really in a satirical way).

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, Robert s said:

Due to you not liking Pratchett's books or their adaptations? In case of the latter: the live-action adaptions of the Discworld stuff have been subpar so far anyway. The Hogfather completely missed the tone of Pratchett's writing, The Colour of Magic is a book that is not particularly well adaptable and Going Postal was fine, but nothing special. The Watch stuff should in theory translate pretty well to the screen (except maybe the first book).

I liked Hogfather, but the other two are so so .  I'd say Colour of magic is probably the worst discworld book, being first and all its not surprising.