DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I remember the main dude in that movie from The Bold and the Beautiful for years as a kid. 

Watched Deadly Prey one night on Prime and whew, that was some supreme crapola. They had to have shot that on the fly in the Florida swamp. Like, the parts that were part of somebody's backyard. 

Looking up Julie K. Smith and fuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Haha 1

Though I was prepared for the general subject matter of HARD TICKET TO HAWAII, I wasn’t expecting how shitty it looked. I mean, maybe some of that has to do with the rip on Vimeo, but the fucking thing looks like an ad for a late night party line. And I wasn’t expecting the toxic snake (bitten by cancer rats!?) that dissolves the victims it bites. Or the skateboarder. Or the nunchucks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Control said:

Though I was prepared for the general subject matter of HARD TICKET TO HAWAII, I wasn’t expecting how shitty it looked. I mean, maybe some of that has to do with the rip on Vimeo, but the fucking thing looks like an ad for a late night party line. And I wasn’t expecting the toxic snake (bitten by cancer rats!?) that dissolves the victims it bites. Or the skateboarder. Or the nunchucks. 

The saga doesn't really get rolling until THE PICASSO TRIGGER~!  Andy Sidaris is one of the few directors that gave speaking roles to Gerald Okamura and Al Leong.

For that alone he deserves some sort of posthumous accolade.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Looking up Julie K. Smith and fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah, she was amazing when she first started making Babe B-Movies, but she really ran herself into the ground later on.

Edited by J.T.

Finally got around to watching Glass, and holy shit what a mess. Spoilers for a two year old movie I guess.

Spoiler

I was enjoying the first chunk that's pretty much just Bruce Willis on the hunt for McAvoy.

Then Sarah Paulson is in here explaining that she treats people who have delusions of being superheroes. If they're so delusional, why do you have a tank of water hooked up to Bruce's cell? Do they all really see themselves as "superheroes"? How can you ethically justify treating their alleged delusions by forcing Willis and Jackson into one another's presence? How dare you ask kidnapping-victim Anya Taylor-Joy to be in the presence of McAvoy? I guess the twist with Paulson at the end could retroactively justify all of this, but by this point the main conflict of the body of you movie has lost all buy-in with me. 

I get that he has a point thematically that some people get too wrapped up in comic shit and I'm sure a lot of filmmakers would like to have a talk about it at this moment in pop-culture, but it doesn't justify this clunky movie.

And beyond the plot, the actual dialogue. Why does this nerd need to talk about Action Comics #1, you heavy-handed goof!  "That sounds like that bad guys teaming up"?????!!! Some really awkward chunks in this one. 

I actually liked the push/hug fights between Willis and McAvoy. Decent way to get around some of their constraints.

The audacity of the climax is kind of respectable. They half-way promise a big fight between Willis and McAvoy on a skyscraper and deliver Bruce Willis being drowned to death in a puddle in the parking lot of the mental institution. The balls on this guy! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 2

Fincher in the last 10 or so years comes across as the biggest fucking baby. 

Also, yeah, I think I agree with Affleck. If you have any idea of who Ben Affleck is, you know he's not going to wear a Yankees hat and you know tabloids wouldn't let him hear the end of it. It's just needlessly fucking with the co-star of your movie.

What really made me laugh though, was the audio of Fincher calling Affleck unprofessional. He somehow made taking a long, deep breath sound super pretentious.

It's at the 20 second mark.

I'm happy that got brought up though because it made me want to listen to Affleck's Armageddon commentary again.

It's still hilarious. Armageddon is the dumbest Criterion Collection release ever.

EDIT: Like, on my saddest day, this will still make me laugh my ass off. "I asked Michael why it was easier to train oil drillers to be astronauts than astronauts to be oil drillers and he told me to shut...shut...shut the fuck up. And that was the end of that talk."

Edited by Craig H
  • Haha 3

The actor in me says David Fincher is right.

But the sports fan in me is with Ben Affleck.

I mean if I was told I had to put on an Aaron Rodgers jersey for a part, there'd be some soul searching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

The actor in me says David Fincher is right.

But the sports fan in me is with Ben Affleck.

I mean if I was told I had to put on an Aaron Rodgers jersey for a part, there'd be some soul searching.

Fincher was just being a dick, Affleck's character presumably bought the cap at an airport Lids, so he would have had his choice of all the NYC area pro teams along with generic NYC touristy caps. 

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

For sure, it's totally a dick move. But it's also...

This Is Acting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Affleck's character was from somewhere near St. Louis, I doubt a Cardinals fan would buy a Yankees or Mets hat and if the dude liked hockey it would cancel any Rangers, Islanders or Devils hat. He would have most likely bought some sort of Knicks throwback or discount bin Jets hat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fincher in the last 10 or so years comes across as the biggest fucking baby. 

Also, yeah, I think I agree with Affleck. If you have any idea of who Ben Affleck is, you know he's not going to wear a Yankees hat and you know tabloids wouldn't let him hear the end of it. It's just needlessly fucking with the co-star of your movie.

What really made me laugh though, was the audio of Fincher calling Affleck unprofessional. He somehow made taking a long, deep breath sound super pretentious.

It's at the 20 second mark.

Affleck was 100% right to not wear the Yankees hat.  He's right that he would have never heard the end of it.  The fact Fincher shut down production for four days instead of just changing the hat's team shows who the unprofessional one really is.

• Like 2

It's definitely an irresistible force vs. immovable object moment where one person wants to micromanage the image and another person is overly concerned with their own self image. I don't think either was totally "right." I just know that if a director told me to wear a hat I'd wear the hat. If I didn't like the hat hopefully we could collaborate on some solutions. But at the end of the day, I'm getting paid to play a character. Conflating my real life with the character's life is  silly. But I'm also generally frustrated that audiences seem to have real difficulty in recognizing what an actor does on stage or on screen isn't what they are in real life.

Agreed on neither being totally right. Ben's not being super professional because his gripe isn't at all in service of the movie. It's not about acting, it's about managing his celebrity persona. He's probably right that some people would keep bringing it up. For that I've got the world's tiniest violin. 

But four fucking days over a hat? That's David on a power trip. And the best part is he didn't even get the hat he wanted. Children.

• Like 2

I remember reading that Fincher wanted Jon Hamm for that part, but Matt Weiner wouldn’t delay production on Mad Men to allow for it.

Hamm would have worn the hat and hanged dong. Count on it.

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 this weekend, and holy crap did they nominate the wrong guy.  

Frank Langella was so incredible as the racist, addled, and horrifically biased judge.  I actively said 'oh fuck you' to him.  

Sasha Baron Cohen was fine, but Langella was just on another level. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 10:00 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Which is the, errr, best one of those Andy Sidaris movies to start with?

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 10:20 AM, Control said:

Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

I would go as far back as Malibu Express.  Then you'll see that there is sort of a Sidaris-verse going on with the rest of the films and notice common characters like Kane and the members of the crime fighting Abilene family.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2