DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 1/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, Death From Above said:

Kevin Hart has been confirmed as Roland for the Borderlands movie which is just... so far off the mark of the character. Not really surprised.

Well, they cast Cate Blanchett as Lillith so they're not exactly trying to stay true to the characters...

I watched Honest Thief. It's pretty standard "Liam Neeson punches people in the face" fare (not that I'm saying that's a bad thing). He spends a lot of the movie beating up a wooden chair that may or may not have actually been Jai Courtney 

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

He spends a lot of the movie beating up a wooden chair that may or may not have actually been Jai Courtney 

This does beg the question of how the hell did Courtney manage to do a decent Captain Boomerang? Its one of the better portrayals in a generally bad film and the character is one with tons of personality. He should have failed miserably by all rights yet somehow didn't.

Sundance was on the internet this year and you could by screenings. I bought this film First Date, it’s low budget and there isn’t “name” actor in it but I enjoyed it. Without giving anything away a kid buys a cheap 65 Chrysler for a date with a gal he’s sweet on them it turns out that there’s something in the car that people want so the kid abs his date are chased by incompetent crooks and corrupt cops, hilarity ensures.

https://www.slashfilm.com/masters-of-the-universe-oral-history/

Masters of the Universe is on Comet right now (right where it belongs!) so I was like "there has to be an Oral History of this terrible film". And sure enough, there it is. 

Concidentally Masters was the first film I ever saw in a theater, at the age of five. My dad didn't see the 'dead parents' plot twist coming there I bet. Thankfully I never gave a fuss about it, at least not that I know of. 

EDIT: It is a very nice, sweet read. Everyone really did their best on the project and it wasn't for lack of trying that it didn't succeed. Cannon was dead on their feet after all. The whole thing goes into the history of how He-Man came to be as well, which is pretty interesting.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.slashfilm.com/masters-of-the-universe-oral-history/

Masters of the Universe is on Comet right now (right where it belongs!) so I was like "there has to be an Oral History of this terrible film". And sure enough, there it is. 

Concidentally Masters was the first film I ever saw in a theater, at the age of five. My dad didn't see the 'dead parents' plot twist coming there I bet. Thankfully I never gave a fuss about it, at least not that I know of. 

EDIT: It is a very nice, sweet read. Everyone really did their best on the project and it wasn't for lack of trying that it didn't succeed. Cannon was dead on their feet after all. The whole thing goes into the history of how He-Man came to be as well, which is pretty interesting.

The Toys That Made Us has a great episode on He-Man that led to a full documentary that's also worth watching.

• Like 4

Yesterday, I watched both Overlord and Warcraft: The Beginning. Overlord is a WW2 movie that does the From Dusk til Dawn genre switch halfway through (not a spoiler, it was marketed that way). The Alt-Right must absolutely hate this movie, as the villains are all Nazis and one of the main heroes is a black guy.

Spoiler

You know how when they did test screenings for Event Horizon, it got ridiculously high scores from the audience, because it was a horror movie where the young, cocky, flirtatious black guy (who by genre conventions, you expect to die first) lives to the end and is the hero, and they tested it at a Cinema in Harlem? Similar thing here.

Warcraft was... I'm not going to say disappointing, because I expected it to be bad. But it was what I expected. I don't play the game, so I didn't know anything about the World building, but I was under the impression it was somewhat generic fantasy. And there wasn't anything to suggest I was wrong about that. It's one of those things, once upon a time the game was making an absolute ton of money and had a huge player base, so you'd think all of those people would want to see a movie of it. But what I've seen of the game, it's kind of light on plot and character (I could be wrong). And the movie has that thing where watching it for the first time, as soon as a scene starts, if you try to guess what's going to happen in it, you'll get it right. It's not awful. The cast is made up of actors who are good in other things, but a lot of the performances have that big budget passionlessness to them. So, skippable.

• Like 1

I thought Freaky was pretty good. Tons of gore, I thought Vince Vaughn was great portraying a teenage girl. 

Let Him Go was better than I thought it was gonna be. it starts slow but stick with it abs it does pick up.

The War With Grandpa, had very lazy writing and direction. The acting’s good the cast is all All-Stars but acting can only take a film so far. It’s like the Director had the attitude of “it’s a kids movie it doesn’t matter”.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:40 PM, Control said:

This YouTube page has almost all the Zatoichi films, a few Sleepy Eyes of Death, and the excellent Hitokiri by Hideo Gosha (featuring Yukio Mishima committing seppuku).

I found that last week during my usual pandemic Google searching.

I have yet to find someone brave enough to post The Black Hood with Tomisaburo Wakayama.

I ordered a copy a while ago, but it was a poor dub so I sent it back.   Still looking for a good remaster.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:42 AM, AxB said:

Yesterday, I watched both Overlord and Warcraft: The Beginning. Overlord is a WW2 movie that does the From Dusk til Dawn genre switch halfway through (not a spoiler, it was marketed that way). The Alt-Right must absolutely hate this movie, as the villains are all Nazis and one of the main heroes is a black guy.

I love Overlord but if the producers really wanted to go for the jugular of the Alt-Right, they'd at least have had the black dude kiss the French girl.

Overlord is as close as we'll ever get to a live action Castle Wolfenstein movie.

Edited by J.T.

Watching Lizzie (2018) which is about Lizzie Borden. Stars Chloe Sevigny and Kristen Stewart... I never really got Chloe Sevigny. It's either one of those irrational dislike things, or it's a case of seeing universal praise for someone, going in with raised expectations and being disappointed. Anyway the movie is really quiet and slow, and it's going for atmospheric but it just failed to engage me. Also, for some reason I had thought that Lizzie Borden was young when the murders happened, and that therefore Chloe Sevigny in her mid 40s was too old to play her, but it turns out she was 32, so she probably looks about the right age.

I'm sure somebody somewhere loves this movie, but I'm thinking you could cut the run time by, like, an hour, and still tell the same story just as effectively. Perhaps I should watch Maggie next, so I can do a double bill of movies that have the type of names that a person would have.

Watching Terminator Dark Fate and it's decent so far. I can watch anything with Mackenzie Davis, though, so... but on the "those assholes never learn" front, it surprises me Harlan Ellison (or his estate, depending on if/when the screenplay was wrapped up) didn't sue the fuck out of the franchise a second time after I heard the 'can of peaches' line in the script. 

9 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Watching Terminator Dark Fate and it's decent so far. I can watch anything with Mackenzie Davis, though, 

Yeah, she's great. Loved her in "Halt and Catch Fire" which is such a great show. 

• Like 2