DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I wanna see Honest Thief pretty soon. We're doing my girlfriend's family Christmas this weekend and I've convinced everyone to watch Fatman (which I haven't seen yet but a friend whose opinion I trust swore up and down I would love it). 

Just finished watching The Godfather III again. Paramount Network has been playing the first two on a loop and they buried the coda at the end of the whole run and I think only once, which sucks because I stayed up to three to catch it. I've always liked it more than most, it is really operatic, long and baroque, Sofia Coppola isn't the best actor, but it works. Diane Keaton is just great and Talia Shire is too as the darkside sister who finally stopped being stepped on and turned into a malevolent influencer. What stood out to me the most rewatching it though is all the carnage. There are so many murder setpieces that just look great and there's so many of them in retrospect. If I had to tally them up I think there are four individual ones (the break-in, helicopter massacre, St. Gennaro Fest hit, Don Tommasino) and then the end is just multiple acts all in a row, all of them are cool and brutal (the eyeglass murder flipped me out). As a connoisseur of onscreen violence it gets an A+. 

Now, has anyone seen the re-edited version that just came out? I'll watch it tomorrow if I can find it on Prime. 

(and also Paramount STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING DAILY SHOW COMMERCIAL, that seriously aired three times every commercial break)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just finished watching The Godfather III again. Paramount Network has been playing the first two on a loop and they buried the coda at the end of the whole run and I think only once, which sucks because I stayed up to three to catch it. I've always liked it more than most, it is really operatic, long and baroque, Sofia Coppola isn't the best actor, but it works. Diane Keaton is just great and Talia Shire is too as the darkside sister who finally stopped being stepped on and turned into a malevolent influencer. What stood out to me the most rewatching it though is all the carnage. There are so many murder setpieces that just look great and there's so many of them in retrospect. If I had to tally them up I think there are four individual ones (the break-in, helicopter massacre, St. Gennaro Fest hit, Don Tommasino) and then the end is just multiple acts all in a row, all of them are cool and brutal (the eyeglass murder flipped me out). As a connoisseur of onscreen violence it gets an A+. 

Now, has anyone seen the re-edited version that just came out? I'll watch it tomorrow if I can find it on Prime. 

(and also Paramount STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING DAILY SHOW COMMERCIAL, that seriously aired three times every commercial break)

I watched the new cut the other day, Coppola moved some things around and made some cuts in the beginning that made more sense to the Vatican Bank stuff and what the check Mary gave to the Cardinal at the party was really about. 

I always felt they miscast Vincent, Altobello and Joey Zasa, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach and Joe Mantegna are great actors but none were right for their parts. Mantegna’s Chicago accent really stands out to the point I was waiting for him to say Da Bears. 

• Like 1

Mantegna's voice grated on me for its cadence which was really stilted. I guess I didn't notice the Chicago though I've been in and out of the city for years. 

Andy Garcia just reminded me of his role in The Untouchables. Not much open passion there.

EDIT: Another thing that bothers me is the Corleones having someone walk right into a suicidal assassination, like with Roth in II. They really couldn't find another way to get close enough to somebody than to walk into an airport? It was the same thing with what looked like at least two of the murders in III at the end. The glasses one I'm sure about but who knows what happened to Al Neri. And for that matter, Garcia, with all those witnesses. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Swallow has primarily been slotted as a horror film, and it is, but only nominally. The "horror" in it is the horror of the life of a person shackled by her surroundings and her family, endlessly suffocating. It's no wonder she ends up gaining a condition of pica (look it up), which I guess is what people think is the "horror" part if they're dense enough. It's really a very serious and affecting drama, I'm sure especially if you're a woman. Worth a watch. 

Spoiler

And for those who've seen it I was quite surprised that it had a happy ending. I fully expected the husband to track her down via the GPS on her phone and they throw her in the psych ward under the voluntary papers she signed, then probably adjust those accordingly after she had the kid. Those people were fucking vultures. 

Now the question is, what was her life prior to the marriage? DOES she know how to do anything? She clearly had her own bank account or credit card to manage to afford the abortion pills and the mall food, though if it was under the husband's name he'd immediately have them cancelled. Still, the ambiguity is more hopeful than a life under their heels. 

I might check that out.

ive been catching up with 2020. I really liked Arkansas and was pleasantly surprised by the The New Mutants.

While I liked it at parts, The Tax Collector felt too much like an Edgy Procedural Drama Pilot for FX than it did a feature film for me.

Internal Affairs was way good but also super misogynistic. It was probably the nature of the characters in the setting but damn, it was jarring, especially when you have Richard Gere basically using his dick as a weapon. Before it went that direction it was close to The Wire levels of believability, then it just had to piss its pants. 

I see little resemblance to The Departed btw, besides them both being great movies. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I see little resemblance to The Departed btw, besides them both being great movies. 

It would have been amazing if Scorsese had remade Internal Affairs but it's actually the Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs that got the nod.

• Like 4

Watched it this past weekend with the girlfriend. Thought it was a bit slow paced mostly but I did enjoy it. You're right, it SHOULD have been a disaster but Gibson and Goggins make it work through sheer force of will. 

• Like 1

All these years later Midnight Run still holds up so well. I mean damn it's Deniro being Deniro but having him play off against Charles Grodin just works so well.

And damn it is chock full of primo character actors! Farina, Yaphet Kotto, Joey Pants... Philip FUCKIN Baker Hall!!

Fuck I love this movie!

James

• Like 2