DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, I saw the trailer for Nightmare Alley when I went to go see Antlers.  I have no idea what to make of it.

It was not a terribly memorable trailer.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Holland has confirmed he will be playing Fred Astaire in an upcoming biopic about... well Fred Astaire.

This is a different biopic about Astaire that Amazon is doing. That one is Fred & Ginger where Jamie Bell is Fred and Margaret Qualley is Ginger Rogers

Kari Skogland will take over for Patty Jenkins as director of Cleopatra (the one with Gal Gadot as the lead)

The word on the street is that Jenkins - who is still attached to the project - is not directing as to make time for Rogue Squadron

Actually Hartnett was just in Ritchie's last film Wrath of Man. Before that though, I hadn't seen him in anything in 15 years, that vampire thing in the Arctic.

Edited by Swift

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

30 Days of Night. Which rules. I can't think of a vampire film since that was that good (Only Lovers Left Alive and What We Do In the Shadows don't count, because I say so haha).

? There was this little Sweedish vampire movie called Let The Right One In that came out a year later.  I heard it was pretty great. ?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well fuck me, you win ? It completely slipped my mind. I DID think of A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, but I haven't seen it. 

I would not begrudge you if you disqualified A Girl Walks Home for similar reasons that you did not count Only Lovers Left or What We Do In Shadows.

Vampirism plays heavily in the story, but it is also handled somewhat metaphorically like it is in The Addiction (this movie is very similar to A Girl Walks Home). The Hunger, and Cronos.

Movies like A Girl Walks Home, The Hunger, Cronos, The Addiction, Thirst, and Bliss work as vampire movies in some ways and in some ways they don't.  They are all very metaphorical and deal with other themes like addictive personalities or the very human fear of death.

They cloak the central meaning with so many vampire tropes that it is hard to distinguish them from true vampire films.

Don't we have a Horror thread for these types of discussions? ?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Don't we have a Horror thread for these types of discussions? ?

It was fine until Curt had to get all Meltzerish with his qualifications just to justify over-pimping 30 Days of Night

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It was fine until Curt had to get all Meltzerish with his qualifications just to justify over-pimping 30 Days of Night

It was two in the morning.  I blame coffee and a totally busted bio-clock.  The only reason I am up now is because I've had three hours of sleep and need to toss this chicken in the oven so that I don't starve tonight on my last evening of graveyard.

Edited by J.T.