DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Random Book 16 - All Avatar Sequel Release Dates - Wattpad

This is very optimistic.

Do you think it annoys James Cameron, that he's going to go down in history as a good director who made some good and financially successful movies? Because he thought he was going to go down in history as the man who revolutionised Cinema and made 3D the default, preferred format of everyone in the whole world. But as it turns out, the vast majority of people who watch movies just really prefer 2D movies after all.

• Like 4

Unless he is filming all four of them at the same time, I really don't see Avatar 2 doing the type of blockbuster business that would justify continuing on for another three movies after that.

Is there any other movie made since 2000 that made such a ridiculous amount of money during its initial run while leaving little long-term pop-culture impact at all? Its not a movie that is referenced or meme'd much at all in recent years, and the excitement for Avatar 2 appears to be on par for when Dumb & Dumber 2 came out, which is little-to-none. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Is there any other movie made since 2000 that made such a ridiculous amount of money during its initial run while leaving little long-term pop-culture impact at all? Its not a movie that is referenced or meme'd much at all in recent years, and the excitement for Avatar 2 appears to be on par for when Dumb & Dumber 2 came out, which is little-to-none. 

The two Jurassic World movies both made over $400 million world wide (with the first one making almost $700) and the only references I see are still to the original Jurassic Park movie. That is probably the only other example (and again that isn't technically an original IP)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Movies about villains seem to be all the rage. Make a Titanic movie from the perspective of Billy Zane's character. 

Or the iceberg.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Unless he is filming all four of them at the same time, I really don't see Avatar 2 doing the type of blockbuster business that would justify continuing on for another three movies after that.

I completely agree with you, but to be fair, it made all its pop culture impact for the several months it was atop the box office. After it reached its zenith, that's when the exhaustion kinda set in.

I think because Hollywood since then (especially with Marvel) has been cranking out blockbusters and tentpoles at a break neck speed that's it has changed and shaped how socially relevant these films can ultimately be. A film can make $700 million worldwide, but only stay relevant for the three or so weeks it's #1 at the box office. Why? Cause you have another film that's going to do similar business right around the corner.

• Like 2

True, but you get the odd one that stays with people the way Avengers Endgame did.

I think possibly the reason why Avatar made such a small cultural impact was that all those people who bought tickets were going for the visual feast. So the plot and characters didn't make the mark. That and whatsisname off that Terminator deal who played the male lead really doesn't have the charisma that they thought he did. I've forgotten his name.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

True, but you get the odd one that stays with people the way Avengers Endgame did.

Yeah, there are definitely some. You can also name like 10 that don't. Hell, speaking of James Cameron, how many films over the past 5 years before covid have had the impact of The Terminator? Not that many.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, AxB said:

Random Book 16 - All Avatar Sequel Release Dates - Wattpad

This is very optimistic.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, clintthecrippler said:

yeah, i see A2 doing well, but not "we immediately need multiple sequels" good.  the first did so well because of (A) being the first of the new style 3d film, and (B) the crazy amount of CGI and how good it looked. now no film does 3d and every blockbuster film does ungodly amounts of CGI. where's the hook for this film?

the first one came out 12 years ago (only 12 years? it feels like an eternity ago) and nobody is clamoring to revisit these characters or their world. is there even a fervent fanbase for cosplay, fanfic, or deviantart (is that even still a thing)? it just screams of trying to create an epic IP without  the consumer buy-in

• Like 3

Also, the people who loved the film nicknamed themselves Avatards. Not the most flattering nickname, but they chose it themselves.

• Haha 2

Dear Evan Hansen

Ben Platt (reprising his role from the Tony winning musical)

Directed by Stephen Chbosky

Sept 24

No matter how much you think you are ready emotionally to watch this... you are not

On 5/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, AxB said:

That and whatsisname off that Terminator deal who played the male lead really doesn't have the charisma that they thought he did. I've forgotten his name.

Poor Sam Worthington, not that you're wrong.

Not new information per se (since it is been out since her casting was revealed) but Tig Notaro talking about how her entire Army of the Dead performance was done on green screen and how they had to do things like dress up her assistant to stand in for Bautista. Also since she was replacing another actor, she had to exactly match his movements and placement.

I get all the apprehension about Avatar 2, and I admit the first one hasn't stuck with me anymore than most people, but... Betting against a James Cameron sci-fi action sequel isn't something I'm prepared to do just yet.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I get all the apprehension about Avatar 2, and I admit the first one hasn't stuck with me anymore than most people, but... Betting against a James Cameron sci-fi action sequel isn't something I'm prepared to do just yet.

Eh... that literally applies to two movies and T2 came out 30 years ago.

A lot has changed since then

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Eh... that literally applies to two movies and T2 came out 30 years ago.

A lot has changed since then

This is all true.

And I still stand by what I said.