DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm still bummed it's not Fillion after that fan made video that was released a few years ago. 

For those that haven't seen it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ambulance

The important words - Directed by Michael Bay

My impression is for 25 years, Bay has been sulking around privately saying "*I* should have directed Heat, goddamnit."   

Man...How has there not been a Fox or CBS show titled AMBULANCE with the LA highlighted? Honestly, I'm shocked no one has used that until now.

EDIT: Holy shit, I could only make it through 37 seconds of that trailer. That looks like a parody of a Michael Bay movie with all of the lens flares, sweeping camera movements, tilted camera shots, fast cars, etc. I used to wonder if Michael Bay would ever have that period that Ridley Scott had, where Ridley Scott made Under the Tuscan Sun.

I think the answer to that is a solid "no."

Edited by Craig H
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Uncharted trailer dropped this morning. It neither looks particularly good nor particularly awful. Banderas being the villain in this seems like fun casting. 

So it's a weird mashup of the plots and set pieces from the games but with a Nathan that's way too young compared to the games?  Got it.  I'm sure it'll be fun but I don't like the casting at all.  Marky Mark is my favorite (living) actor but him as Sully?  No, just no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Looks like French Dispatch is limited release this weekend. I think the closest to us is either Philly or King of Prussia. 

It does go wide next week. I'm hoping my small market gets it at the local AMC. I'm using some PTO next week, so would be a fun matinee screening. 

The Uncharted trailer looks ok. The casting for Sully and Drake just don't do it for me which is a shame as I like Wahlberg and Holland. It Wahlberg was less Bostony and twenty years younger he would have been solid Drake, but he feels wrong for Sully. Holland looks good as a young Drake, but doesn't feel like he works for much else with the character. Hopefully they work better than it looked in the trailer.

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The Uncharted trailer looks ok. The casting for Sully and Drake just don't do it for me which is a shame as I like Wahlberg and Holland. It Wahlberg was less Bostony and twenty years younger he would have been solid Drake, but he feels wrong for Sully. Holland looks good as a young Drake, but doesn't feel like he works for much else with the character. Hopefully they work better than it looked in the trailer.

Sully is gruff and grouchy and has facial hair.  Marky Mark is/has none of those things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A buddy of mine is Richard McGonagle's nephew. I've never met the man who originally voiced Sully, but I've camped at the 30-acre property his family owns in Maine along the Saco River. I also LOVE the Uncharted games and have a huge crush on Tom Holland... but yeah that movie looks shitty to me so I'll just use the excuse to semi name-drop ?

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My search radius on fandango only goes 50 movies, so that's outside my normal search parameter. 

Well, you said the magic word with "Fandango" - none of the Landmark theater chain locations are going to show up on their search.  You'd have to go directly to their site instead.

I'm looking forward to that movie because my kid really wants to see it.  But hey, the Internet runs on snark and many adults feel superior by ripping on entertainment made for kids.  Let's talk some shit on Paw Patrol next!  That's a fine use of our time as grown-ass adults.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm looking forward to that movie because my kid really wants to see it.  But hey, the Internet runs on snark and many adults feel superior by ripping on entertainment made for kids.  Let's talk some shit on Paw Patrol next!  That's a fine use of our time as grown-ass adults.

I get what you’re saying, but there’s a difference between a children’s movie like Paw Patrol and a family movie like Sonic. There’s an expectation at bare minimum that it’ll be watchable to some extent for adults. And Sonic may have been, I haven’t seen it.

On the other hand, that kind of movie would have to be pretty reprehensible to make it onto a worst of the year list because it’s not high art or spectacle and it’s not claiming to be either. 

• Like 2