DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - Universal will be the home to Christopher Nolan's next movie, a drama about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb.

It is clear from the story that Nolan was so pissed at Warner Bros at the handling of Tenet (and in general for WB putting all the 2021 releases on HBO Max) that he ended the 19 year relationship

Going to be weird seeing a Universal logo before a Christopher Nolan movie. Shame there's a falling out between Nolan and Warner Brothers after years of working together. Money talks.

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Directed by Ari Aster.

Can it be directed by Robert Eggers instead?  Aster would make a four hour nightmare out of that shit that I would be compelled to watch all the way through and old guy's like me need to go the bathroom every so often.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yuck

I really hope Pratt and Day don’t try to do Italian accents, if they do I legit hope the people who protested The Sopranos make a stink about it, there’s no way either of them can pull it off without sounding like someone who mocked my grandparents back in the day. Doing degrading accents no matter what kind needs to go away, SNL had done it a lot the past few years, it’s 2021 not 1921. 

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yuck

James Corden started trending Worldwide, just thanks to people tweeting relief that he wasn't in this.

• Haha 6

My reasoning behind Charlie Day being a perfect Luigi comes from me mainly thinking about Luigi in the Luigi's Mansion series. While playing it, I would frequently think about that Luigi basically being Charlie Day in everything Charlie Day has ever been in outside of It's Always Sunny.

So I think that casting works as long as he doesn't do an Italian accent.

Pratt though...That casting I don't get. This is still an animated movie, right? Pratt has done voice work before as the lead in Onward. So I when I think about him doing the voice in that and doing the voice as Mario Mario...It just doesn't work. I'm honestly surprised they didn't get DeNiro or something to do it.

Man, I totally forgot about him in the Lego Movie. 

I still can't even imagine what a Mario movie would even be. Judging from the characters they're bringing in, it feels like they're trying to include as much as possible to maybe give it a Ready Player One or Free Guy feel? Either that, or they'll lean into the world of Odyssey and have New Donk City and that's where you'll get characters like Donkey and Diddy Kong?

I don't even know why I'm trying to wrap my brain around this movie. 

Looking at the wiki for the Kurt Warner movie, and the cast section doesn't list anyone as playing Marshall Faulk. Or Isaac Bruce. Or Torry Holt. Or Orlando Pace.

But Ray Lewis is being played by Nic Harris

Edit: buried deep in the IMDb is Faulk being played by OJ Keith Simpson, and even deeper actors that don't even have pictures on IMDb are playing Bruce and "Rams Player"

Edited by Brian Fowler

Army of Thieves

A prequel to Army of the Dead.

Note that Zack Snyder is not directing (he is just producing). It is being directed by Matthias Schweighöfer (who as you can see is also starring)

And since it is a prequel - it seems very very light on the whole zombie outbreak stuff (which is part of the reason I put it here)

• Like 1

LICORICE PIZZA

Starring Cooper Hoffman (PSH's kid), Alana Haim, Bradley Cooper, and Maya Rudolph

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (~!)

--

Cooper looks unnervingly like his father.  Hope he's anywhere near as talented as his dad was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also interesting that Dolfan totally omitted that Sean Penn, John C Reilly, Ben Stiller and Benny Safdie are in it

I had to cut off the ridiculous cast somewhere.  Also, I wanted to put in at least one more woman in the list.  Interesting that you did not.  ?

• Haha 3

I already showed my misogynic tendencies by pointing out the nipples

Though to be fair - I would have pointed out Cooper Hoffman's nipples too if the screen cap had focused on those

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Also interesting that Dolfan totally omitted that Sean Penn, John C Reilly, Ben Stiller and Benny Safdie are in it

They don't even show or mention Reilly, Stiller or Christopher Walken (who's also in it) in the trailer.  Stacked cast.