DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

53 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

This is exactly the kind of cheesy disaster flick my Mom loves. Big names in the cast, too.

That shit looks awesome.   My brother and the VT Bad Movie Science crew will have a field day with this.

• Like 1

At least with Moonfall - it kinda seems like there was some sort of alien... something causing it (at least near the end) which is a much better excuse to what is happening than Roland just making science up to fit his needs

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fuck the Matrix trailer... this is the only one you need:

PRISONERS OF THE GHOSTLAND

Starring Nicholas Cage, Sofia Boutella, and Bill Moseley

Directed by Sion Sono

They're giving crazy ass Sion Sono a decent budget?  We'll see what happens, I guess.

Your homework for tonight is to google "suicide club train jump."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Okay. 

Spoiler

Heh. Yeah. That is definitely age-restricted for a reason. 

I've never seen any of his movies though both Suicide Club and Tokyo Gore Police ring a bell. 

Telling Bill Moseley "give me your worst Kentucky Gentleman accent" is a brash directorial decision in and of itself. 

The Guilty

Director: Antoine Fuqua

Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke, Peter Sarsgaard, Riley Keough, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Paul Dano and Bill Burr

Remake of 2018 Danish film by the same name

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Don't Look Up

An Adam McKay giant ensemble cast spoofing disaster movies... movie

Adam McKay was recently on someone's podcast, I forget which, and said the movie was actually about climate change and covid and how even with immediate disasters we would just do nothing because we're all that fucking dumb. It was the fastest movie he ever wrote. He went into a state of panic, put pen to paper, and I think wrote it in about 6 days I think.

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Don't Look Up

An Adam McKay giant ensemble cast spoofing disaster movies... movie

This has to be one of the worst trailers/teasers I've ever seen. 

This will get lost in the M4 talk, but damned if it doesn't look good.

C'MON C'MON

Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, and Woody Norman

Directed and Written by Mike Mills (20th Century WomenThumbsuckerBeginners)

--

A24 + Joaquin = Take-my-money.gif

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I cannot for the life of me think of an A24 production that I did not like.

Flat out didn't like? I can't think of any. Hereditary and Midsommar, predictably after watching Hereditary, both got way too freaking weird even for me at the end, but they were both really good up until those points. I fucking loved mid90s and Lady Bird, which are maybe the least weird, least downer A24 movies that I can think of. Mr. Corman on Apple+ is an A24 production and I've really liked that each week. Uncut Gems made me so uncomfortable that I felt like I was on the verge of crawling out of my skin, but it wasn't bad. Moonlight I'm too scared to watch because I have a feeling I will cry a lot during it. And I'm dying to see the Green Knight.

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Flat out didn't like? I can't think of any. Hereditary and Midsommar, predictably after watching Hereditary, both got way too freaking weird even for me at the end, but they were both really good up until those points. I fucking loved mid90s and Lady Bird, which are maybe the least weird, least downer A24 movies that I can think of. Mr. Corman on Apple+ is an A24 production and I've really liked that each week. Uncut Gems made me so uncomfortable that I felt like I was on the verge of crawling out of my skin, but it wasn't bad. Moonlight I'm too scared to watch because I have a feeling I will cry a lot during it. And I'm dying to see the Green Knight.

I'm a scary movie guy, so I was perfectly good with Hereditary and Midsommar.

Yes, you will bawl your eyes out during Moonlight but at least it will be a cathartic weeping.

Uncut Gems is the only Adam Sandler movie I can watch over and over again, so that should tell you how good it is

The Green Knight is fucking weird in a good way.  It takes a couple of head scratching liberties with Arthurian legend, but it is still great.

Edited by J.T.

Ugh, yeah, I will never watch Moonlight. It's not like I'm afraid of crying because I cry a lot like I'm Tommy Dreamer or something, but I don't want to be bummed out and sad for an entire day or more. Last time that happened was after watching the end of the Mist or maybe the first episode of Chernobyl.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I am pretty sure you know this but I am saying for folks who might have missed it

Joaquin's next month after this is also A24 and it being directed by Ari Aster (It is called Disappointment Blvd)

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am pretty sure you know this but I am saying for folks who might have missed it

Joaquin's next month after this is also A24 and it being directed by Ari Aster (It is called Disappointment Blvd)

I thought that Ari was going to base Disappointment Blvd. on his short film, Beau, but the premise of Dissapointment Blvd does not sound like Beau.

Edited by J.T.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:44 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

This will get lost in the M4 talk, but damned if it doesn't look good.

C'MON C'MON

Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Gaby Hoffmann, and Woody Norman

Directed and Written by Mike Mills (20th Century WomenThumbsuckerBeginners)

--

This looks interesting and good but...

I'll never watch it.

I can't really explain it but I have a pretty strong aversion to black & white movies.  

Furiosa has been delayed almost another year

New release date is May 24, 2024 (it was June 23, 2023)

While the story I read didn't directly say so it appears COVID is the reason as the movie is supposed to be shot in Australia (and how much Australia wants it shot there as at one point it was said it will be the "biggest film ever made in Australia")