DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

I also didn't really care for the subsequent novels.  I got the whole "power can corrupt even the incorruptible" moral to the story, but then the misery and misfortune that Herbert heaped on the Atredes family just got ridiculous.

I tried to re-read 2nd book a few years ago and nearly fell asleep. I remember the 3rd pissed me off so bad. The old Sci-Fi mashup of the two if actually pretty watchable because it fixes several of the problems.

• Like 1

I am gonna assume they are just gonna skip the whole part where Richard walked out on his first wife and 5 kids before having Venus and Serena with his second wife

So you have Serena Williams, the greatest tennis player of any gender, and Venus Williams, who's what probably top 10 in her gender, and you center the movie on their father? Anyone else feel that's strange? I can't see any future feature film about Tiger Woods being all about Earl.

Of course, they did make a TV movie about Walter Gretzky, so what do I know?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, elizium said:

So you have Serena Williams, the greatest tennis player of any gender, and Venus Williams, who's what probably top 10 in her gender, and you center the movie on their father? Anyone else feel that's strange? I can't see any future feature film about Tiger Woods being all about Earl.

Of course, they did make a TV movie about Walter Gretzky, so what do I know?

Richard was pretty damn prominent early on in their careers and very vocal. Tiger's father wasn't in the limelight like that IIRC.

And to me, a film specifically centered around Venus and Serena right now would be strange even though Serena appears to be very, very close to the end of her career. A big part of the film would have to be devoted to their dad either way.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, elizium said:

So you have Serena Williams, the greatest tennis player of any gender

At the risk of starting a firestorm, this statement is demonstrably false*.  You can say she's the most successful but greatest?  She would lose at least 98 sets out of 100 against Joker, Nadal, Federer, Sampras, Agassi and tons of other guys.  

* - she did actually play Karsten Braasch (ranked 203) and lost.

Edited by Tabe

HOUSE OF GUCCI

Starring Adam Driver, Lady Gaga, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, and Jared Leto

Directed by Ridley Scott

--

Soon to be your gay friend's favorite movie. 

• Like 2

People hanging onto Ghostbusters nostalgia continues to confuse me. Let it die. 

House of Gucci looks like Scott making a companion piece to All the Money in the World. Hope the movie plays better, but at the very least thank you for show me some stars (and unfortunately, Jared Leto). 

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

HOUSE OF GUCCI

Starring Adam Driver, Lady Gaga, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, and Jared Leto

Directed by Ridley Scott

--

Soon to be your gay friend's favorite movie. 

Wow! Those are some bad accents, I'm waiting to hear someone say "Dat's ah spy-see-ah meat-ah-ball-ah". 

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Interesting that Scott has two movies coming out in the span of less than two months and both of them star Adam Driver

I said it four years ago when he had both Alien: Covenant and All the Money in the World in the same year that he's somehow more active in as he advances in age. He's already working on his next one after these two. 

Paramount has pulled "Clifford the Big Red Dog" from its release calendar. Was scheduled to be released September 17.

‘Clifford The Big Red Dog’ Pulled From Paramount Release Schedule – Deadline

Word is it's NOT COVID-related, but more "the dog looks stupid and we need to fix it stat." (Paramount had the same problem with a certain blue hedgehog not too long ago) ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonial said:

Word is it's NOT COVID-related, but more "the dog looks stupid and we need to fix it stat." (Paramount had the same problem with a certain blue hedgehog not too long ago) ...

And that ended up working out exceptionally well for them.  I actually kinda want to see Clifford - I have no idea why - so it would be nice if they do fix it up.

So is The Green Knight actually coming out next weekend? I thought that was a next year movie, not a right around the corner one. Like, I didn't go to see THE suicide squad over this weekend because I thought I'd leave it till there was some positive word of mouth, but if Green Knight is on next Friday, I'll watch that instead.

Or maybe have a 2 movie day, I dunno.

It's been pulled from distribution in the UK due to Covid even though cases are decreasing. Apparently Shymaladingdong's Old is out here, but I've seen zero advertising. Didn't even know Jungle Cruise was out until today. What a strange time to be a consumer.

So they're going ahead with releasing the Blockbuster type movies, your Fast & Furious and THE Suicide Squad, but the smaller budget releases are being put back?  What a strange time we're living through.

Kate

Netflix and select theaters Sept 10

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Woody Harrelson

Directed by Cedric Nicolas-Troyan (The Huntsman: Winter's War)