DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Hey film nerds amongst Wrestling nerds. Gonna ramble, copy/paste and combine FB posts for mine, and ramble some more:

Roughly five years ago I was as pacing around in a St Paul basement while waiting for my laundry. I’ve always thought best while moving. As a very kid I would run around the outside house and call it “Dreaming.” Different stories would pop into my head about silly things like wrestling, opening up a restaurant, or adventure. Eventually the dreaming left the circles around my house and became biking around the neighborhood. At a young age my dreaming began to transition from simple moments of action to imagining stories. Probably around 3rd grade I would take my toys and create narratives. My wrestling figures (and the occasional super hero or Gargoyle) would transform into actors of a play and I’d recreate the same made up stories but change it slightly to see how the story would be better. A corrupt Mayor who would receive his comeuppance when running for President. A quarterback returning after an injured season to go undefeated. A cannibal who-dunit comedy. There were a cavalcade of different stories I’d play out. Eventually I realized my storytelling was weird so I hid it. Imagining in private. Getting older as a young adult I’d go on long walks and just think. Life and stories. Falling in love with the art of cinema and how I’d want to do it. It became less about the stories and more the singular form that made the story. The Why’s and the How’s. The literal of what is being imagined and how to physically construct what is in my mind, like a statue or a building. Which would lead to even more Dreaming. 

So five years ago I was dreaming again. Coming off of a failed attempt at releasing a short film and piecing together a totally different series of scripts entirely. Taking a break from that, I just let my brain imagine how it wanted to. Oddly enough, I thought of a woman carrying around a forever sleeping man. The story wasn’t there but the visuals were. Them at a dinner table with with his head resting backwards, her carrying him over her shoulder from task to task, sitting in a chair minding their own business while he is out cold with his body draped over the side. It was an interesting enough visual that was funny, weird, and serious all at once. Continuing my pacing I introduced a third character into the mix and added conflict to a second half. Her limping injured body now reacting with an awake individual. Maybe he falls asleep as well? Maybe he stays awake?

Over the next few weeks I’ve imagined the why’s and the order of events. Creating a series of outlines and different forms of the same story. All keeping this in my head. Having no money and no longer being in video school, this was all a dream and a process for sheer fun of creation. Hopping back and forth between scripts, the game was the same as when I was a kid, just imagine narratives. Over a year or two the story would change and roles would flip back and forth. The story developed from an interesting concept to an actual film with a soul I wanted to express. It also began more likely that I could actually shoot this. I was actually able to get my hands on gear and spread out shoots. Locations would be obtainable for “eventually” and then would not. Life stresses and self doubt would get in the way and the process would become longer. Equipment availability, life changes, and panic attacks. A lot of growth and self improvement was needed. Also, taking this time to study and improve on my craft was needed as well.

I addressed what I needed to and made steps towards self respect and stability. I also received help and love from Jasmyne(now my lovely wife), who completely turned my life around for the better. Still, there would be production hiccups. Crew members cancelling on shoots, snowstorms, and unexpected life events. Reorganizing what I needed to and learning from my mistakes, I feel I’ve improved as a filmmaker. Occasionally you need to fail a few times. 

The story is odd and the way I wanted to tell it is different. Showing my vision mid rough cut, I could tell my trusted friends were struggling to see the final picture, but still having trust in my thought process. The construction of the film the way I want to create art by using text, erratic edits mixed with long shots, and silence. I trusted my vision and believed in my way of expressing this story. 

Two moments that helped me on my path for how I wanted to create this film was with two of my friends, Jason and Hisham. Showing Jason a more recent edit of a cut, he told me how he dived to his volume to turn it down after hitting play. Vividly remembering that it had loud erratic jazz music, despite it actually being a silent cut. The way I edited the film created a memory of sound. To reinforce that, Hisham who also acted in this project, stated “this movie felt loud to me even though it was silent.” I knew I was on a good path. 

It is one thing to get the respect of your peers, it is another to succeed. Once I finished the edit I sent the short (just shy of 30 minutes) to festivals. I know this is a long shot. Longer shorts generally have less of a chance at screenings when a festival director can screen a series of shorter run times. Also, the film is silent and has an odd concept of an edit, so will likely get regularly passed on. But this is the piece I wanted to show and the part of myself I wanted to express. So the choices for festivals were lessened, but I found a few international ones that fit the arthouse vibe I felt comfortable with.

Calcutta International Cult Film Festival has selected my film, Ode to the Whale of Christ, for their festival. For the 45th season it won Best Silent Film and was honored by being called Outstanding Achievement in Film on Religion. This qualifies the film for the yearly Golden Fox award. Although I still have enough self doubt and personal shame to feel I won’t come away with a trophy, the nomination is an appreciated moment. So much more work ahead and more festivals I’m waiting on. Fingers crossed on those. But this was a big step I’ve been waiting on to cap off a crazy year. 
Then, I got a review from Rome Prisma Film Awards. This gives a good feel for the film.

Now to start out this year, we just heard back from the Prague Independent Indie Film Festival that the unmatched serenity of my beautifully radiant wife was recognized for Best Actress Debut for Q1 2021. She is the Hara to my Ozu. Also, I ended up winning Best Male Director. Pretty crazy and exciting, considering I looked the first day not realizing it was a multiple day announcement for the results. Like a goofball, I looked and just saw the other winners. Then scrolling down I saw the nominations/ honorable mentions, which I was nominated for Best Editing and Best Producer. I was happy with that, then being told after the fact that my wife and I actually did win something was surreal.

There is more hard work ahead on projects in development and continuing to ride out the next few festival seasons with this project. I’ll just have to make sure between working on my goals to take a moment to stop and Dream.

Here are a few trailers and links (I got the ok from Rippa that I can post these):

EC6-F5-C4-D-10-A4-4-A09-9-BD5-3-D5-D4202

YouTube Page with 3 teaser trailers

Film’s Facebook page

1-C71864-C-4-B28-45-C0-A572-363-C0342519

CFF6-C07-E-148-C-4-A08-B93-B-CE411-B5831

869-E518-B-37-B7-4-D4-F-84-BB-6-B7-DB019

So to close out this ramble post. This last year has been a tough and wild one. But to be able to end it finally finishing and releasing my film I’ve been obsessing over for quite some time now brings me a lot of joy. If you guys care to keep updated on the journey of hopefully getting into more festivals and competitions, then please like the FB page or check in with me here and I’ll post updates.

Thanks for reading.

Octopus (David Matthew Johnson) 

?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @Leonidas! I’m strictly behind the scenes. I’ll occasionally have fun doing bits but my acting is terrible. I had a friend that did both behind and in front of camera and it wore him out. Directing is stressful enough, haha. 

For this project I wrote, directed, and edited. The crew was pretty limited and shoots were spaced out. I would have a Camera Operator for maybe half of the shoots and the others when it was just myself and the actors I’d work camera.

• Like 3

Paramount has acquired the rights to do the movie adaptation of Spamlot (which was the Broadway adaptation of Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Since the movie is already fully developed - the hope is to cast and start production later this year.

Directed by Sam Levinson 

The idea for the project first started when Zendaya contacted Euphoria creator Sam Levinson, asking that if it was possible for him to write and direct a movie during the quarantine. After a few days, Levinson came up with the story for the Zendaya-led film. In order to make this project a reality, Levinson and production partner Ashley Levinson (Queen & Slim) along with Kevin Turen, Washington, and Zendaya personally financed the project during the pre-production and production stages.

Before and during filming, producers reportedly implemented strict protocols to ensure the safety of the cast and crew and to meet with the necessary requirements by the WGA, DGA, and SAG. One of the safety measures exercised was that no one was allowed to leave the property they rented as the cast and crew had their own designated dwellings. Another guideline was that no crew member could be in close contact with the actors without proper personal protective equipment.

• Like 1

There's a Rubik's Cube movie - an actual movie, not a documentary - coming out...eventually.  And a game show.  The game show I get.  The movie?  Not so much.  Unless it's a dramatization of Rubik's life or something.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

There's a Rubik's Cube movie - an actual movie, not a documentary - coming out...eventually.  And a game show.  The game show I get.  The movie?  Not so much.  Unless it's a dramatization of Rubik's life or something.

Gives us hope for a Tetris movie.

• Like 1

Warner Brothers has worked out an agreement with Legendary Entertainment (aka gave them extra money to stop their bitching) and Godzilla vs. Kong will officially release in theaters and on HBO Max on May 21, 2021

The two sides are close to finalizing a similar deal for Dune

The United States vs Billie Holiday

Director: Lee Daniels

Andra Day as Billie Holiday

Hits Hulu on Feb 26

If nothing else - I have zero concerns about the singing in this movie

• Like 1

Armie Hammer has dropped out of Shotgun Wedding due to the current shit show of a controversy he is currently in.

It was supposed to begin shooting soon but Hammer said there was no way he could leave his kids for 4 months while everything was going on (Well again strongly denying everything)

Per Variety - his role will be recast